PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Boys

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't be disappointed or surprised if the Patriots added two offensive linemen and two defensive linemen in the draft, along with a TE.

Things are shaping up outside but the interior of both lines needs a boost.

I wouldn't be disappointed or surprised if the Patriots added two offensive linemen and two defensive linemen in the draft, along with a TE.

Things are shaping up outside but the interior of both lines needs a boost.

I'm hoping around the same.

Meat and potatoes draft. Gotta love it! Let everybody fawn over all of these over-rated quarterbacks. Everyone needs wr's and db's while we really don't. Should get some decent bargains and won't have to reach for the big boys.

Right now, my top interior OL players are Brandon Thomas, Joel Bitonio and Marcus Martin, with Trai Turner as my top day 3 pick.

One sleeper Grizzly to keep an eye on is Virginia DT/DE Brent Urban. 6'7" 295#. He couldn't work out at the Combine due to a stress fracture, and was still in a boot at Virginia's Pro Day yesterday. He's a potential day 2 talent who could slip to day 3, and who has a ton of upside. He was originally recruited to Virginia by Al Groh when they played a 3-4, and then switched to DT when they moved to a 4-3. He fits the profile of BB taking a talented player with upside who slips because of injury.

While I'd love an impact DT I'm not getting my hopes up. Currently we have our day 1 starters back from last year (Wilfork / Kelly) plus reserves who produced when they had to start (Jones / Siliga) plus a prospect (Armstead) under contract. Frankly DT is a luxury at this point.

DE and interior OL are much bigger needs.

While I'd love an impact DT I'm not getting my hopes up. Currently we have our day 1 starters back from last year (Wilfork / Kelly) plus reserves who produced when they had to start (Jones / Siliga) plus a prospect (Armstead) under contract. Frankly DT is a luxury at this point.

DE and interior OL are much bigger needs.

Yes, they are. But DT is a huge opportunity in this draft. The available talent at DE just isn't that good.

As Bill moves to a more multiple defense again, it's getting confusing to know what we need.

Is Armstead a DE or DT ? (assuming he returns).
Kelly is more of a DT but has played some 5 technique before.

Nix would be a pure DT but what about Hageman or Tuitt ? I'm in the same boat as with Armstead with them.

Bill's been surprising us recently, would he take a Dee Ford for passing downs ? I don't think he would use a #1 on a non 3 down player but, again, he's getting unpredictable.

There's no doubt we could get a DT and I think that's the most likely scenario. Bill likes to draft a year ahead; and both Kelly and Wilfork could be gone by 2015 (Vince before that, of course). I like Hageman and Tuitt in that order right now, they could give us talent inside but could legitimately play DE as needed (whether to rest Nink or Jones or due to injury).

Armstead is a perfect fit for a multiple defense: 3-4 end, 4-3 end, 4-3 tackle. Tuitt would be a good fit because he offers the same as Armstead in terms of flexibility.

Armstead is a perfect fit for a multiple defense: 3-4 end, 4-3 end, 4-3 tackle. Tuitt would be a good fit because he offers the same as Armstead in terms of flexibility.
Hageman also. That's why I like those two, they're almost Seymour clones in terms of size and can play anywhere. However none of them give the pure pass rush that would be nice from a 4-3 DE.

Would like to see another 1st rd interior OL. Been talk of cutting Connolly and Wendell's weakness; the way things are, Buffalo is going to be a big offensive challenge. Can't count on "coachin' up" these 7th rounders the way Dante could.

Right now, my top interior OL players are Brandon Thomas, Joel Bitonio and Marcus Martin, with Trai Turner as my top day 3 pick.

Marcus Martin might be the guy I'd love to see them come away with the most in the entire draft, other than a long shot like Aaron Donald or Eric Ebron. I think Martin has vast potential and that center is one of the most overlooked positions on the entire field. A star center can change everything. Really like Bitonio as well, and I think Zack Martin could be a rockin guard---looks like he's moving up lists a lot though.

I agree with you Mayo that this year is a great year to target big fellas on the interior. Many fine prospects on both sides of the line.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back