PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Ben had a "severe" setback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it does. Big tough Ben Roethlisberger, who has body guards block doors to women's bathrooms while he has his way with college girls, is painting this picture of how hurt he is and how he is such a courageous teammate for going out there with injuries. Cut me a break, Ben.

No, it doesn't, and Roethlisberger's alleged misdeeds off the field don't some how change that.

Everybody is beaten up at this time of year. This guys is a SB champion QB so that's his peer group. You never heard Montana or Brady or Bradshaw or Steve Young or Troy Aikman or Johnny Unitas hit the airwaves the way this guy does looking for public sympathy or acclaim for playing hurt.

I'm not sure what history you're reading, but other great players, including Brady, have discussed their injuries.

Ben can choose to discuss his injuries or not. Let the team, his coach and the injury report do that for him.

Before BB, this wasn't even a discussion in New England. If a guy talked about an injury, it was normal and not a big deal.

I am rooting like mad for Denver to shut these guys down and come to Foxboro in two weeks.

So am I. Dawkins being out for the Broncos makes them much easier to play, and the Steelers receivers are a bad matchup for the Patriots defense.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what history you're reading, but other great players, including Brady, have discussed their injuries.

true other QBs have talked to a degree about their injuries, but Big Ben seems to be more vocal about his and the timing of his injuries seem interesting, not to mention his on camera expressions . . . just a thought . . .

98.5 just reported that big ben had a severe setback in Cleveland... What that means I'm not sure. But his status could mean a Patriots superbowl appearance.

Anyone have any news?

Yes, his desire for attention has caused him to play up his injury, once again. That is his setback.

Last edited:

When has Brady done more than regurgitate the Belichick line:

"I'm OK, everyone has bumps and bruises this time of year"

Or something to that effect.

Never has Brady talked about his injuries to the extent Roethlisberger did, nor has he ever hammed up an injury mid-game in the Favre-esque way that Big Ben does.

In 2003, in the season finale against the Bills, Lawyer Milloy came in on a blatant late hit and speared Brady's knee with his helmet, partially tearing his MCL.

After the Pats won the SB, the rumour was that if they did not have a bi-week, the injury was so bad that Brady would have missed a game. (edit: Obviously Brady would need to be in pretty bad shape to even suggest that somebody like him would miss a game...)

Didn't hear ANYTHING in the media about this until the trophy was secured. :rocker:

actually, i am going to have to differ with you on this one . . . i really don't think that Milloy was trying to injury TB . . . interesting this is one of the plays which i reference where a player actually tried to avoid injuring another player . . . for a player who got cut earlier in the season would of had amble motivation to injury, but Lawyer did not . . .i remember when he came in, he kept his arms extended and did not wrap up TB's leg, and thereby locking it up and causing an injury, ala 2005 Palmer . . . by not wrapping up the leg, TB's leg slid on the old muddy field and avoided serious injrury . . .

you may be correct in that it was a sprain, i dont really recall the we need the bye week story . . but u may be correct .

What kills me is the perception that Ben is this tough SOB who takes a beating and keeps on trucking while eveyone thinks Brady is a soft ninny. It takes a covert op and a hostage situation to unearth any sort of injury brady has, but Ben is always limping around or getting horizontal when a D-lineman touches him. Whenever there's a scrap, Ben runs and hides and lets his line do the fighting. Brady will get in a player's face, no matter who it is. Suggs, Polamalu, whomever.

Brady doesn't do himself any favors by yelling at the officials for a flag every time he gets a little nudge, which they always show again on espn...

Brady doesn't do himself any favors by yelling at the officials for a flag every time he gets a little nudge, which they always show again on espn...

I think it's the other way around — every time Brady yells at a ref, they play it on ESPN. Because no one else in the NFL begs calls.

When has Brady done more than regurgitate the Belichick line:

"I'm OK, everyone has bumps and bruises this time of year"

Or something to that effect.

Never has Brady talked about his injuries to the extent Roethlisberger did, nor has he ever hammed up an injury mid-game in the Favre-esque way that Big Ben does.

Referring to anything he does as Favre-esque won't sway DI against Ben. DI is a Favre admirer. ;)

I think it's the other way around — every time Brady yells at a ref, they play it on ESPN. Because no one else in the NFL begs calls.

LOL Except for every QB and WR and lineman in the league. Players are coached (at least here) to play to what the refs are allowing which changes from crew to crew and game to game and smart players are always in the refs ear about what is being done to them...and that often shifts the zebra's focus which explains how changes in the way games are called often unfold as an afternoon or evening progresses. Brady does get some questionable calls, but often times those are make ups for the ones that get totally missed. Refs will start to do that to take control of a situation they think has the potential to get out of hand. Sort of a warning shot across players bows that if your pushing the envelope on what you can get away with we may go in the other direction and start ticky tacking you to death.

It's part of the QB's job to call attention to being hit. The definition of and penalty for "Roughing The Passer" makes it imperative that QB's call attention to getting hit in the act of throwing the ball under 2012 rules.

I don't agree with the extent to which they've put skirts on quarterbacks, but the rules are the rules. The interpretation of those rules varies but the benefits are huge for the offense: Roughing The Passer is a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down.

The increased focus on hits to QBs after they release the ball and whatever the refs think might be unnecessary has taken away a lot of what defensive players are taught to do from the time they are in Pop Warner. You can't finish a clean tackle anymore without drawing a flag. I also hate that the defenders can't pop the QB after turnovers, but that is a different rule.

Yelling and calling for a flag when hit is SOP when a QB gets hit. Same as in basketball and hockey when yelling and flopping can give the team an advantage. In the NHL it's comical to watch guys hit the ice when someone skates past them.

Brady is just doing what's best for the team. I put this in the category of hard counts to draw the opposing defense offsides. They all do it and they all should know how to do it. The rules are the rules.

actually, i am going to have to differ with you on this one . . . i really don't think that Milloy was trying to injury TB . . . interesting this is one of the plays which i reference where a player actually tried to avoid injuring another player . . . for a player who got cut earlier in the season would of had amble motivation to injury, but Lawyer did not . . .i remember when he came in, he kept his arms extended and did not wrap up TB's leg, and thereby locking it up and causing an injury, ala 2005 Palmer . . . by not wrapping up the leg, TB's leg slid on the old muddy field and avoided serious injrury . . .

you may be correct in that it was a sprain, i dont really recall the we need the bye week story . . but u may be correct .

I agree that Milloy would not intentionally injure Brady considering they were best buddies at the time. But the hit itself was clearly late and vicious, regardless of how much Milloy was able to pull up.

I personally don't think Brady would have missed a game....My point was that we often only know about Brady's injuries thru rumours because he ain't bragging about imaginary broken body parts like Boy Piggieburger.

To heck with the score! Win or lose, let's just hope that the Bronco Defense sacks Ben several times...

To heck with the score! Win or lose, let's just hope that the Bronco Defense sacks Ben several times...

Imagine if the defense really comes to play...AND the crowd is pumped up as they should be.

Imagine if the Broncos somehow cause a turnover, or make a trick play to go up 7-0..the place would be rocking and the pressure would promptly be on Roethlisberger.

(Now back to reality)

I agree with your comment about win/lose, let's just hope that Dumerville, Bunkley, and Von Miller can continue pressure and disruption; it may really aggrevate that ankle.

(Disclaimer: not advocating any serious Big Ben injury...but I surely wouldn't mind him being even more "banged up" for next weekend)

Yes, his desire for attention has caused him to play up his injury, once again. That is his setback.

I read he now has Tomlin doing the Cowher damage control shuffle and denying any setback. LOL

He also looks heavier to me than he did at the start of the season. After he'd turned over his new leaf and all. I think he's regressing to his norm.

The Steelers are the worst team in the AFC in takeaway ratio and they are 4th in being sacked at 42. This is a golden opportunity for a very good Denver defense to win a playoff game.

The 49ers shutout is a template for Denver to emulate this weekend.

My feeling is this is a very dangerous situation for Mike Tomlin and the Steelers to assume the one-and-done status that has been haunting the Patriots for the last two years.

Of course, nothing is better than waking up to the realization that the Jets are the none-and-done winner for 2012!

Last edited:
There was a tv report that the Steelers were doing about 80% of their work from the shotgun in order to cut down on the amount of moving around Roethlisberger has to do on his ankle.

The Steelers are the worst team in the AFC in takeaway ratio and they are 4th in being sacked at 42. This is a golden opportunity for a very good Denver defense to win a playoff game.

The 49ers shutout is a template for Denver to emulate this weekend.

My feeling is this is a very dangerous situation for Mike Tomlin and the Steelers to assume the one-and-done status that has been haunting the Patriots for the last two years.

Of course, nothing is better than waking up to the realization that the Jets are the none-and-done winner for 2012!

I don't understand where this "good Denver defense" stuff is coming from. During their 7-1 streak they played Miami, Det, Oak, KC, NYJ, SD, MIN and Chi. Detroit put 45 up on them in Denver, Minny put up 32, OAK 24. The offenses they shut down were the inept ones KC, SD, NYJ, CHI etc... GB, NE, Buf and Detroit all put up 40 or more on them. That is not a good defense, yes the offense turned the ball over in those games but 40? Sorry a good defense holds them to FG's not TD's.

Denver's defensive rankings:

Yards: 20th
Rush: 22nd
Pass: 18th

If the Denver offense was even an average offense I would give them a better than 50% chance of winning this game, do to Pittsburgh's injuries, but they are not. Pittsburgh has to score 14 points to win this game comfortably. The only chance they have is Avril and Milller living in the back field and their defense causing turnovers....but then the Broncos turnover prone offense will probably find a way to screw it up. People are playing the option better and it has killed that offense, because in the passing game, Tebow can not deliver the ball where he needs to with any consitency.

Last edited:
There was a tv report that the Steelers were doing about 80% of their work from the shotgun in order to cut down on the amount of moving around Roethlisberger has to do on his ankle.

I'm not sure how much that will help. He was very inaccurate as a passer in the SF game when he had time to throw in the pocket. Maybe the less moving around and having the lights work the whole time will help his ankle stay loose, but until I see it, I will continue to believe that his ankle will continue to cause him problems and ultimately aid in ending the Steelers season in either Baltimore or NE.

I'm not sure how much that will help. He was very inaccurate as a passer in the SF game when he had time to throw in the pocket. Maybe the less moving around and having the lights work the whole time will help his ankle stay loose, but until I see it, I will continue to believe that his ankle will continue to cause him problems and ultimately aid in ending the Steelers season in either Baltimore or NE.

Exactly correct. Roethlisberger was a Cigar Store Indian in the shotgun in SF and was intercepted three times in a 20-3 loss. If the Broncos stay committed to a pass rush and keep the receivers in front of them, they can win this game.

Mendenhall played in that game and only ran the ball 15 times for 64 yards because they had to keep him in to block and the 49ers did a good job of keeping a linebacker on him. Without Mendenhall, the Steelers are in even greater danger of losing a low-scoring game.

Tim Tebow is a bit player in this one. It's up to the Broncos defense to take control of this game and get some takeaways from an injured QB and back-up RB.

Pouncey has been MIA in practice this week due to his ankle. The Steelers are calling him questionable. The Pittsburgh Post Gazette is reporting him OUT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes