PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Bad Browner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that was a play in a game, right? Your position was, his bailing on a possible touchdown couldn't be fear, right? Just trying to get what you thought he was doing there, since we ruled out fear.

Come on, it's not that complicated. If Pinkston didn't act out of fear, what was he doing on that play?
I cannot read his mind. He may have thought he couldn't get to the ball so instead of trying he braced for the hit. He may just not like getting hit. You dont have to be afraid of getting hit to not like getting hit. I don't know. But if he was afraid of that DB he wouldn't walk onto the field.
I don't know how many ways I can explain this to you.
I believe that football players are not afraid of other football players or they wouldn't be out there in a game that requires you to be hit.
I could show you a ton of Deion Sanders clips where he shied away from contact. He wasn;t afraid, he felt he was too good to risk injury.
Perhpas that was Pinkstons thinking too. If he gets hit, he risks injury and one play isnt worth it. That isnt being afraid of the db. There are many possible explanations other than the internet tough guy approach that he must be a ****y.
I'd love to see a better clip of that play and see how catchable the ball was too.

He's desperately trying to save face.

He should've just gave up and admitted he was wrong a few pages ago.
I'm not desperately doing anything. I am describing my opinion, and have been completely consistent all the way through the thread. If I were wrong I would admit it, but you'll have to explain to me how I am wrong about an opinion that there is no way to prove right or wrong, unless an NFL player told you he is afraid of another one.

Why would I admit I was wrong. What have you said to change my opinion? All you have done is act like a child.

tumblr_mbgcfbeFUs1riqizno1_400.gif

That's (past tense of the act of sex using slang) up, Ray.....love those skits

As a former college FB player, I can tell you,there are players that intimidate you. They create FEAR of them for whatever reason. Just because you are afraid doesn't mean you don't go out there and do your job though. Some just handle it psychologically better than others. Some NFL players fear other NFL players. Players aren't robotic, void of human emotion. It's rather trivial to think otherwise, and shows a gross misunderstanding of the game.

I cannot read his mind. He may have thought he couldn't get to the ball so instead of trying he braced for the hit. He may just not like getting hit. You dont have to be afraid of getting hit to not like getting hit. I don't know. But if he was afraid of that DB he wouldn't walk onto the field.
I don't know how many ways I can explain this to you.
I believe that football players are not afraid of other football players or they wouldn't be out there in a game that requires you to be hit.
I could show you a ton of Deion Sanders clips where he shied away from contact. He wasn;t afraid, he felt he was too good to risk injury.
Perhpas that was Pinkstons thinking too. If he gets hit, he risks injury and one play isnt worth it. That isnt being afraid of the db. There are many possible explanations other than the internet tough guy approach that he must be a ****y.
I'd love to see a better clip of that play and see how catchable the ball was too.

Tony Eason trademarked the fetal position for NFL QB's, fear is definitely a factor.

As a former college FB player, I can tell you,there are players that intimidate you. They create FEAR of them for whatever reason. Just because you are afraid doesn't mean you don't go out there and do your job though. Some just handle it psychologically better than others. Some NFL players fear other NFL players. Players aren't robotic, void of human emotion. It's rather trivial to think otherwise, and shows a gross misunderstanding of the game.

Yep, I think it is a matter of conflating toughness with fearlessness. Football players have to be tough to be successful, so that's almost a universal, but that doesn't mean they don't feel fear, and i have no doubt those who faced Lambert and Lott and taylor and White knew they were going to take a serious beatdown and many feared it. Doesn't mean they didn't do what they were called upon to do, but they still were fearful of what was about to happen.

Laird Hamilton is the greatest surfer of all time, in particular he is the greatest big wave surfer of all time, and there are very few things scarier than being chased by an 80 foot wave. He's been asked about being "fearless" on numerous occasions and his answer is always the same, you would have to be crazy not to feel fear you just have to channel it the right way, my guess is that it's the same for these guys, and how well they do it defines their careers to a large degree.

I am also a former college football player and I find it shocking that you were on the field and afraid of a player on the other side of the ball. How do you compete against someone if you are afraid? Mike golic says is best for me. Even though he was a mediocre player and even when he was up against an all pro before every snap he believed he would win. He would never give in and feel he had no chance. He was competing against that man. Your comments say players are going out on the field saying I am not in that guys class and he could wreck me so I pray I don't have to go near him. I just don't see that.

Laird Hamilton is the greatest surfer of all time, in particular he is the greatest big wave surfer of all time, and there are very few things scarier than being chased by an 80 foot wave. He's been asked about being "fearless" on numerous occasions and his answer is always the same, you would have to be crazy not to feel fear you just have to channel it the right way, my guess is that it's the same for these guys, and how well they do it defines their careers to a large degree.
Isn't there a difference between fearing a life threatening accident and fearing the mam you are competing against will tackle you too hard?
I am sure NFL players fear injuries. I'm sure they fear playing bad and getting cut. I just don't but that Julian Edelman looks over at a safety and pees his pants because he is afraid of the guy. I think he looks at him and his mind is focused on beating him.

Isn't there a difference between fearing a life threatening accident and fearing the mam you are competing against will tackle you too hard?
I am sure NFL players fear injuries. I'm sure they fear playing bad and getting cut. I just don't but that Julian Edelman looks over at a safety and pees his pants because he is afraid of the guy. I think he looks at him and his mind is focused on beating him.
Fear is an emotion, a physical response to stimulus. Like any other emotion, the intensity at which it is felt can vary greatly.

When someone acknowledges fear and overcomes it, they grow as a person. Denying and suppressing emotions can have severe long term consequences on the psyche. In the case of fear, it often results in deep insecurities.

Were you ever Clinton's lawyer?

Last edited:
This makes me miss the thread on diet & exetcize

Fear is an emotion, a physical response to stimulus. Like any other emotion, the intensity at which it is felt can vary greatly.

When someone acknowledges fear and overcomes it, they grow as a person. Denying and suppressing emotions can have severe long term consequences on the psyche. In the case of fear, it often results in deep insecurities.

Were you ever Clinton's lawyer?
That is all fine, but in my opinion, an NFL football player does not fear the guy across from him. I'm not sure how many ways there are to say it, but your last comment is funny, as I am the one being clear and those disagreeing with my opinion are comparing being tackled being shot at, surfing, or playing around with the definitions of words.
My point has been clear and consistent all the way through. Feel free to disagree but this thread has become silly with all of the 'debate tactics' that are trying to deflect it from the simple point, which as I stated above, I do not think Julian Edelman looks across the field and is scared that a certain player is there.

this is still going on?

That is all fine, but in my opinion, an NFL football player does not fear the guy across from him. I'm not sure how many ways there are to say it, but your last comment is funny, as I am the one being clear and those disagreeing with my opinion are comparing being tackled being shot at, surfing, or playing around with the definitions of words.
My point has been clear and consistent all the way through. Feel free to disagree but this thread has become silly with all of the 'debate tactics' that are trying to deflect it from the simple point, which as I stated above, I do not think Julian Edelman looks across the field and is scared that a certain player is there.
I think this is the problem here. You are implying that every player who plays in the NFL is incapable of fearing another player. Everybody who drives isn't afraid of reckless drivers. Its not a thought that comes into your mind every time you get behind the wheel of a car but if you knew that there were people who were terrible drivers on a particular stretch of road, you would be more cognizant of your surroundings because you would fear one of those idiots injuring you. Its perfectly rational and appropriate. If you see a guy on the other side of the field who is known as a head hunter and doesn't care about his safety on the field, you would have a completely rational and appropriate physiological response. Doesn't mean you won't continue about doing your job.

Do you believe every fighter who got in the ring with Mike Tyson didn't fear what he could do to them?

Bran: "How can a man be brave when he's afraid?"
Eddard: "That is the only time a man can be brave."

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Don't apologize, that is a good quote.

There is plenty of fear in football, but not much of it is physical. The real fear that motivates players is the fear of letting down teammates and coaches, the fear of failure, the fear of watching yourself making a mistake on film the next day. Fear is a great motivator, but AJ is right, you couldn't do your job if you were physically afraid of another player.

No one likes pain though. One of the most import lessons I learn in HS was that it seemed to hurt less when you were the "hitter" rather than the "hitee". I'm sure that realization spurred me to "get there first" and made me a better player. I was considered a big hitter back in the day, but it wasn't because of courage, or a mean streak; it was was simply logic and common sense. ;)

Wow, alot of you posters really need to start thinking if your way of talking to other people really is "the patriot way". Keep that up and we are no better than the other scrubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes