Welcome to PatsFans.com

Biden Declares "We Have Turned This Economy Around"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +366 / 4 / -2

This guy is a hoot. I truly like him on a personal level. I think he'd be terrific to have a beer with, at your weekend BBQ. Of course, the fact that he's second in command, makes me want to drink a lot of beers. Maybe even a keg's worth. Funny guy, but totally FOS. I think if you look closely enough, you can litterally see bits of poop flying out from his mouth, everytime he opens it. :D

RealClearPolitics - Video - Biden Declares "We Have Turned This Economy Around"

Q Mr. Vice President, on February 25th of 2009, right after the Recovery Act was passed, you said, this literally dropkicks us out of the recession. By that definition, by those words you said right after it passed, has this worked? Have we been drop-kicked out of a recession?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Yes, we have. Now, look, I'm not going to get into the technical argument of economists of when the recession officially ends or will end. But I can tell you that what I meant then -- and I'll say it now -- we have turned this economy around. Instead of falling off the abyss, it is on firm ground. It is heading in the right direction. And every aspect of the economy is growing. Is it growing as fast as we want it to grow? No. Has it -- is it able to wipe out 8 million jobs lost as a consequence of the recession which we inherited? No. But it has turned the country around. We're moving in the right direction. And this is the basis upon which this full recovery over time is going to occur.
  2. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well I feel better about it already!
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

4. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

Technically he's correct.

Not something I would be bragging about, however.
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +366 / 4 / -2

ahahahahahahahaha! I almost typed in the original post, that someone like Jack would be in here replying along the lines of "well, he's right you know". The only reason why I didn't, was cuz I didn't want to prevent them (him) from actually doing so. Too funny.
  6. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

Well, he is right, and the economic indicators bear this out.

The economy was in free-fall, and now it isn't. This graph, aside from being in a more easily digestible visual format, is a helpful illustration of just how much serious this recession is/was, and the Sisyphean task this administration has faced in attempting to right the ship: Comparing This Recession to Previous Ones: Job Losses - Economix Blog - NYTimes.com

I don't really expect this to have much of an effect on you, though, since you've made it abundantly clear that your chief role here is to constantly crap on this administration no matter what they do. Which is unfortunate, because there are legitimate areas where I disagree with what Obama is doing, but we don't get to discuss them much since I have to spend all my time disabusing you of your more erroneous views :)
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +482 / 1 / -9

God what a beautiful smile.
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:rofl: The lefties are just too easy to predict, aren't they? :rofl:

BTW... unfortunately, there will be no bacon and eggs this year ayyyyyarrrrrrghghgh. :(
  9. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

Right, because you are totally spontaneous. I noticed you ran away from your "Britons hate Obama thread." I wonder why? Here's a little pro tip: It usually works out better when you read the links you post, before you post them. Consider it a lesson learned.
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I didn't realize there was anything over there that you wanted me to respond to. But I am flattered you are stalking me almost as badly as DarrylS, keeping track of which threads I contribute to and which I don't.
  11. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

Please, don't flatter yourself. Although, I suppose I should concede the point that your running away from threads when you embarrass yourself is so commonplace that I really shouldn't be so pedantic as to notice. So, point taken.
  12. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +500 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I wouldn't say the economy has been turned around. The freefall has stopped, but I wouldn't say we're entering a strong growth phase anytime soon.
  13. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

Nope, I agree. Which is why I said, while technically correct, I wouldn't start bragging about it until we see more positive growth. Not out of the woods yet.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't have to flatter myself - you are flattering me without any of my help at all. I'm clearly in your head and you are taking note of everything I do and don't say.

Someday you may grow up and realize that being obsessed with having the last word 100% of the time isn't really the most mature way to go through life. I have no problem speaking my mind and leaving it at that, even when other disagree. But insecure children interpret such an action as "running away."
  15. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

What would people prefer he say? This seems like yet another situation where political opponents will attack him no matter what approach he takes. But if you disagree, or have a recommendation on what you'd prefer to hear, I'd be interested in knowing what that recommendation would be.

My take on what he said its that it's overoptimistic, but in the right direction -- and at the same time he's acknowledging that things aren't great.

Seems to me that if he says nothing, he's out of touch.

If he says things are bad, he'll be criticized for not understanding the effect that can have on people's behavior and worsen the economy, probably w/references to Carter and "malaise."

(And I think most of us would agree that an even more optimistic answer would be an even worse answer.)
  16. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

"The next person that tells me I'm not religious, I'm going to shove my rosary beads up their ass."

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.... I'm not joking."

"Look, John's last-minute economic plan does nothing to tackle the number one job facing the middle class, and it happens to be, as Barack says, a three-letter word: jobs. J-O-B-S."

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed. He said, 'look, here's what happened.'"

Which one didn't Joe say.

[​IMG]

It's a trick question, he said them all.
  17. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

Cool! So my mother, with her Bachelor's Degree and nearly 25 years worth of managerial experience can finally find a new career now... a year after being laid off. Sorry, but I'll believe this economy is back when I see it.
  18. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The beginning of the end was creating the Federal Reserve in the early 1900's, and then the Gold Standard being taken off was the straw taken off the camel's back.

$13t and rising, and it's only a manner of WHEN the USA economy will finally collapse, and a One World Government Dictatorship with a One World Currency(for for that matter, a North American Union with the Amero currency) will be implemented.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +366 / 4 / -2

He shouldn't say anything at all. If you're going to stand in front of a camera, and pronounce that your policies have done X, then you should be held accountable for your claims. We're possibly headed for a double dip, and this guy is on TV bragging about how his trillion plus waste of money, has "turned this economy around".
  20. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

If he and/or Obama refuse to comment on the economy, do you really think the people criticizing these comments aren't also going to criticize those noncomments?

"What are they trying to hide?"
    "Look how out of touch they are"
    "Why aren't they leading when the nation is suffering?"
    etc.