PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Beware Peter King

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Is everyone's favorite columnist lying for NFL teams he likes?

My draft fever compelled me to click on the link from this board to his mock and I observed a couple interesting things:

1. King says Miami is about to sign J. Long. And he says if Gholston isn't drafted by Miami, he will drop, because St.Louis, et.al., is not interested in Gholston.

What better way for Miami to apply pressure to Gholston to sign a below market contract than to imply that he will drop if he doesn't take a below market contract? We know King is BParcells' poodle "I talk to him 3 times a day". This could be misinformation released by Miami through P. King intended for Gholston and his agent.

2. King says the Jets will take McFadden over Gholston. IMO the Jets would definitely take Gholston over mcFadden, and the King statement is misinformation directed at the Pats. The Jets don't want the Pats to trade to #5 for Gholston if Gholston falls.

The Jets may take McFadden, but not if Gholston is on the board.

Just some food for thought regarding Peter "the pompous poodle" King.

Is everyone's favorite columnist lying for NFL teams he likes?

My draft fever compelled me to click on the link from this board to his mock and I observed a couple interesting things:

1. King says Miami is about to sign J. Long. And he says if Gholston isn't drafted by Miami, he will drop, because St.Louis, et.al., is not interested in Gholston.

What better way for Miami to apply pressure to Gholston to sign a below market contract than to imply that he will drop if he doesn't take a below market contract? We know King is BParcells' poodle "I talk to him 3 times a day". This could be misinformation released by Miami through P. King intended for Gholston and his agent.

2. King says the Jets will take McFadden over Gholston. IMO the Jets would definitely take Gholston over mcFadden, and the King statement is misinformation directed at the Pats. The Jets don't want the Pats to trade to #5 for Gholston if Gholston falls.

Just some food for thought regarding Peter "the pompous poodle" King.

saying king is pompous is implying he has something to be pompous about. i can't think of anything further from the truth. i pity the man.

King is a lot of things, but pompous isn't one of them. I'm not sure why all the hate. To me, he's just an average journalist who happened to hit a gold mine. My guess is 90% of his success is his personality & likability with his subjects, and not his insights or writing ability.

He's just a glorified fan boy, for better or worse.

As far as him using his mock drafts to obfuscate certain team's intentions, well, that's beyond conspiracy theorist. He might be an unwitting pawn or mouthpiece, but I can't see him jeopardizing his journalistic integrity by colluding with someone like Parcells to willfully deceive his readers.

I can't imagine the Jets not taking McFadden, no matter who else is on the board.
As far as King goes- every sports journalist in America is being lied to and used this week.

I do not think anything P. King says or does about any player will have any effect whatsoever on decisions by the Pats, Jets or any team.

He is a blowhard writer - nothing more and nothing less.

Everything the jets have done this offseason leads me to believe they NEED DMF. They have no offensive threat otherwise. Why go out and spend that kind of $$ to have just Tom Jones run behind it?? It doesnt matter who else is there or who says it, they are after DMF.

They have three running backs on the roster. Spending $20 million on a running back would be a huge mistake. He's not going to be a great every down NFL back he just doesn't have the right body for that. The Jets still need to focus on the pass rushers, defensive lineman and offensive lineman. They have shown a lot of interest but I feel like they are just doing homework on every possible player.

One thing King said that I agree with is that the Jets are in "win now" mode. With their PSLs and boxes that need to be sold in the next year or so, another down season would be a disaster for that franchise. Their pick will be someone who can make a difference this year. I think that rules out Matt Ryan or any of the OL prospects. Mc Fadden fits their need for a player who can make immediate impact. I don't think that Tangini cares about the contract guarantees or logjam at RB. They'll clean that up in 2009--if they're still around.

They have three running backs on the roster. Spending $20 million on a running back would be a huge mistake. He's not going to be a great every down NFL back he just doesn't have the right body for that. The Jets still need to focus on the pass rushers, defensive lineman and offensive lineman. They have shown a lot of interest but I feel like they are just doing homework on every possible player.

I really don't understand why everyone feels the Jets will draft McFadden either, I hope they do, but I don't see it. Just like I don't see the Raiders drafting McFadden either, it just makes no sense.:eek:

Everything the jets have done this offseason leads me to believe they NEED DMF. They have no offensive threat otherwise. Why go out and spend that kind of $$ to have just Tom Jones run behind it?? It doesnt matter who else is there or who says it, they are after DMF.

I agree. Lock it up.

Just Tom Jones????????

i'll have you know that I was star benchwarmer for my high school team,
and therefore I could easily dominate anyone on the Jets:D

Just Tom Jones????????

i'll have you know that I was star benchwarmer for my high school team,
and therefore I could easily dominate anyone on the Jets:D

Was that before or after you started singing?

I think the Jets take McFadden over Gholston due to the signing of Calvin Pace. Pace is a former DE who's strength is going upfield, and that figures to be Gholston's strength as well. I would think the Jets would want one of their OLB's to be a little bit better in coverage than either Gholston or Pace figures to be.

Can anyone explain what this means??

Ten Things I Think I Think

1. I think this might well be the week the Matt Walsh silence is broken. I'm not positive, but I sense a thaw in the air. I have a feeling that by the weekend, we could have a resolution on this, and the Patriots may be in the clear. I can't imagine Roger Goodell stepping in front of the media Saturday at the draft and figuring out some other way to say, "I think we're close to a deal with him'' in some different way than he's said it 53 times in the last two months.

HUH???

saying king is pompous is implying he has something to be pompous about. i can't think of anything further from the truth. i pity the man.

Actually, it is more common that a man who acts pompous is really just over compensating for an inferiority complex. Of course there are plenty of those who are intellegent and/or gifted and act pompous. But in my opinion, more pompous men are insecure than confident.

King is pompous & insecure to the extreme. It's pretty common among those working at ESPN who believe they are celebrities when in fact they are just sports commentators.

Can anyone explain what this means??

Ten Things I Think I Think

1. I think this might well be the week the Matt Walsh silence is broken. I'm not positive, but I sense a thaw in the air. I have a feeling that by the weekend, we could have a resolution on this, and the Patriots may be in the clear. I can't imagine Roger Goodell stepping in front of the media Saturday at the draft and figuring out some other way to say, "I think we're close to a deal with him'' in some different way than he's said it 53 times in the last two months.

HUH???

No one can tell you what that means because it makes no sense what-so-ever.

While I'm not sold on McFadden, and I think the Jets have a whole host of positions that need serious upgrading before worrying about the running back position, Thomas Jones' contract becomes reasonable after this season. The Jets could, if they so chose, take McFadden and work him in the backfield for this season and next. Jones is never going to see his $7.4 million in 2010 no matter what, but with his 2009 salary being only $2.5 million, the team could platoon Jones and McFadden this season and next without major cap problems.

After that, the Jets could just cut Jones, have 'only' $1.5 million in dead money, and realize a $5.9 million cap savings.

Was that before or after you started singing?

Damn you!!!!!!!
I always hated that and I always questioned my parents as to what they were smoking when they gave me that name. I mean seriously, anyone could have made that connection, I grew up in school with every old beastly teacher you can imagine saying "Oh Yeah, it's Tom Jones!!! Can you sing??? Come on sing "it's Not unusual"" I debated whether school was a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes