Welcome to PatsFans.com

Beware Freedom Is On It's Way Out

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  2. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

Obama Loves Drones

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

I can pretty much guarantee you that local governments and taxpayers are going to love drones too, considering the helicopters they now have to use for aero-searches cost $1,700,000.00 and a drone, which can do the same things, only more safely, cost approximately $40,000.00

Read more: Eye in the sky: U.S. government may use 'drones the size of GOLF BALLS to spy on its citizens' | Mail Online

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +417 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I challenge all gun owners to shoot down as many drones as possible if they're over your house. I guarantee if I see one over my house, I'll do the best I can with my 1200ft/second pellet gun!

5. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +274 / 3 / -3

Funny how so people's views on the government, law enforcement and individual rights are based solely on political party rather than principle.

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,144 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

If they want to spy on me then go for it ... it will be time well wasted on their part. :p

7. Hebeill

Hebeill 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I know the corporations are taking over, it will be just like the days of yore when men women and children worked seven days a week in dangerous conditions for little money.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +427 / 12 / -26

How do golf balls fly????

9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +609 / 7 / -7

It said the size of golf balls, not the shape of golf balls. Anyway, who said the golf-ball size ones were aerial drones?

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +427 / 12 / -26

A golf ball is about 1.6 inches, that is pretty small.

Thought all drones flew, that is what makes them a drone.... did I miss that memo???

11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +417 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I have a children's playhouse in my backyard. It come complete with farmer's porch and electricity.....

Since I don't have any kids, maybe it's time to take it down....:D

Or maybe I leave it there to attract golf-ball size drones that I can shoot down.

Seriously, I would LOVE to shoot one down and I would try if I ever see one. Then I'd bring it to the nearest police station and tell them I shot down this strange looking craft...or maybe I'd even sell it to the Chinese!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

It's the "hypocrisy" remember the whailing and hair pulling when Bush was tapping phones (of our enemy)

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

You are aware that your "hypocrisy" charge works both ways, aren't you, Harry?

In other words - remember the silence and the "atta' boys," from the right when Bush was tapping the phones (of our enemy.)

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

I do remember, I was one of "the atta boys" he was tapping the phones of "beasts" who wanted to slaughter another 3000 people just as they did on the morning of 9/11.

GOD WILLING DEATH TO THE GREAT SATAN AMERICA

15. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +810 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

It still doesn't address the fact that the right is cool when their team is doing it and the left is (apparently) silent when their team is doing the same thing. The end result is that both sides continue to erode our freedom, assured that at least a portion of Americans are either cheering them on or giving tacit approval in the name of preserving party power.

Chico is right. Too many view these issues through the partisan lens of gotcha politics.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Double post - sorry.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Trying to leave party platforms out of it......do you really have an objection to a police department using a 40K drone to search for, say, an escaping bank robber, rather than a 1.5 million dollar helicopter?

Let's not forget, Harry is the one who is saying they will be using drones to spy on unsuspecting or innocent citizens - that's probably not the real purpose - just like Bush's wiretapping wasn't intended to spy on unsuspecting and innocent citizens.

Does it sometimes work out that way? I'm sure it does....but would the drone be any more invasive or freedom-endangering to the normal non-criminal citizen than whatever's already being done to him/her?

Sounds like all it would be is cheaper.

18. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +274 / 3 / -3

I remember folks like you being fine with the "Patriot Act," because it was your boy Bush. And I always see the right being ok with police and prosecutors being ok with infringements on rights and anything else done to alleged criminals.

But thank you for admitting that you are a hypocrite on this matter. I did not expect such candidness.

19. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +810 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Nope.

Harry's not going about it the right way, but he's hinting at the right question. Where are the limiters? I admit to not having read the fine details on this, but I assure you that every new technology and technique that is used by our security services deliberately tries to avoid limiters on their use in order to take advantage of unforeseen situations. There are a lot of people of high integrity working in our intelligence services. However, the potential for abuse by unscrupulous individuals is there (and it happens more than people want to know), and I for one think it is entirely irresponsible not to demand limits on how such powerful intelligence collection tools can be used. It's about giving those with integrity the tools to inhibit the abusers.

I think our gulf of understanding comes from our differing perceptions of government and power. I don't trust it. Whether it's the experiences of my family under Soviet rule or some of my own experiences, I feel justified in casting a heaping helping of skepticism on the expansion of government capabilities and powers. Your mileage may vary.

20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

That's most likely very true. I worked pretty closely with our local police department for many years - and thus, I tend to be pretty trusting of, at least, local authority. I also spent a good deal of years telling my kids things like, "If you don't want them to find things in your locker during a random locker search don't keep things you don't want to be found in your locker."

I guess maybe I'm not particularily reading this as an "expansion" of government powers - just a different, safer, and more effective means of carrying out the same powers they already have.