PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

between the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Following the Patriots nder BB is like being a Krelinologist or a tea leaf reader. You always seem to be trying to read between the lines.

What r do you think is the significance of Belichick personally spending time with his OLB conversion projects Jeremy Mincey 6th round and Pierre Woods UDFA? Is he very concerned about the position? Or satisfied that he has acquired one or two great conversion project candidates?

I went looking for info on Woods. Did you know that In the draft projections from 2004 and 2005, Woods was projected has high as a first rounder? What happened to cause him to fall? What do the followers of the Michigan program have to say?

I think it shows that he takes them seriously as prospects, even if they end up not making it. I don't think it shows his concern, even if he were concerned about OLB, he wouldn't waste his time with two guys who had no chance.

Regarding Woods, yeah, I'm not sure what happened to him but he was/is thought to have physical skills beyond how he produced the past couple of years. As they said at Patriots.com :

"Woods was considered an underachiever at Michigan. He finished his senior year with 24 tackles, 3 sacks and 10 tackles for loss. His best season came as a sophomore when he registered 68 tackles, 7 sacks and 14 tackles behind the line of scrimmage".

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=19150&pcid=41

It will be really interesting to see how they mix in vets who they can count on in the regular season vs. rookies who have upside. Just at LB, with Roach, Woods and Mincey they have an interesting group of longshots and it's the same on the OL.

According to Pro Football Weekly. He had a good Soph season.But, he had trouble digesting the playbook. He was beating out by LaMar Wooley last year.

I think it sounds like he's more of a project prospect. But the scouting dept saw something in him that made Bb and Scott think he is worth a look.

Last edited:
He's very athletic...buut I am not sure why his stock fell...research on Michigan??? Must be some fans from there... It is interesting how that happened..what changed oin D..if his play really went that far down?? Injuries or other things??

i read because he had a great year then just dissapeared..couldnt shed blockers very well and was way too inconsistent

I just think it shows BB is interested in taking a hands-on role in this conversion project, to make sure it goes right. Having detailed knowledge of what he drafted for this challenge will help give him a sense of whether we need to acquire more players, or go with what we already have while Mincey develops. Belichick has been saying the DE to LB switch involves more work/change than others, so he's giving help where it's needed most (and where his expertise is greatest).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes