Welcome to PatsFans.com

Between 2000 & 2007, only Louisiana & New York lost more residents than Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, May 19, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Some people will never learn I guess. Keep raising tolls, fees, and taxes. Keep increasing the size, scope, and magnitude of the welfare state. Keep handing out sugar coated union deals to any, and all, that ask. To think that this state loses population is astounding. We have so many universities here, that we should be adding those out of state students by default. If it weren't for illegals & foreignors coming here for the free ride, the numbers would even more abysmal. I hate to say I told you so Massachusetts, but... [​IMG]

Home / News / Local / Mass.

At a loss

A litany of woes, from taxes to high cost of housing, is driving many residents out of Massachusetts, and the state is struggling to woo others to come here, report says

[​IMG]

By David Abel
    Globe Staff / May 18, 2008

Massachusetts is losing many of its native sons and daughters to other states and is having a harder time attracting transplants than the vast majority of the country.

"The problem is that we just can't get people to come to Massachusetts as much as they want to leave," said Andrew Sum, the center's director and author of the report. "We need to start asking what we can do to make Massachusetts a more desirable place to live, why people don't want to come here to live."

Between 2000 and 2007, only Louisiana - which saw thousands flee after Hurricane Katrina - and New York lost more residents to other states, according to the report. More than 300,000 residents - about 5 percent of the state's population - left Massachusetts during that time, while the state's fertility rate ranked 46 out of 50 states.

Immigrants have kept the Bay State's population from declining. The state's population increased just 1.4 percent between 2000 and 2007, and there are now more than 1 million residents here who were born in another country.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/05/18/at_a_loss/

2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Re: Between 2000 & 2007, only Louisiana & New York lost more residents than Massachus

Since you keep posting anti-Mass threads, WHY do you still live here?
    Move to New Hampshire, problem solved.

3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Re: Between 2000 & 2007, only Louisiana & New York lost more residents than Massachus

The good (red state) people of Georgia thank them for our additional Congressional seats, and electoral college votes.

We look forward to picking up another two more seats (and votes) from Mass in 2010!!!

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

MMav, since you constantly post anti-american threads, WHY do you still live here? Just move to Canada, problem solved. :rolleyes:

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 3 / -10

8 years of Beautiful Prince Barack and all of America will turn into one giant Massachusetts complete with the Drunken Kennedy's and John Fonda Kerry.

PRAISE ALLAH GOD WILLING DEATH TO THE GREAT SATAN MASSACHUSETTS

6. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

And here's yet another reason why people are getting fed up:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/05/state_to_take_c.ht
    ml

"State to take closer look at tolls on I-93"

Yep, they're just measuring traffic right now to see if it makes sense. Good times, good times indeed.

7. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

I don't think those reasons you listed have anything to do with it. Jobs aren't there for college grads and housing is too expensive. That's why Mass has the highest rate of college grads leaving for work.

EDIT - that's why I left right after college as did pretty much all of my friends.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Did you get your curious George T shirt yet down there?

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

So tell us what you think the reasons might be.

10. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

To many colleges and not enough jobs for when they graduate. I also think housing is way to expensive. Living in Boston now is almost impossible for a recent college grad.

EDIT - I missed the part where they talked about the high cost of housing, whoops.

11. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

To call criticisms of our foreign policy, current administration, or AIPAC anti-American, is silly. And I never generalize it to America, whereas you're always bashing Massachusetts. Seriously, just move to New Hampshire if you hate Massachusetts so much. I don't hate America like you hate Massachusetts, I hate specific things about it, especially foreign policy related issues.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

To call criticism of this state's policy, current legislature, or historical inefficiency anti-Massachusetts, is silly... :rolleyes:

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Ok, but this is a trend Wildo. While other places are growing, and Mass used to, it's not anymore. There is a specific reason for that which goes beyong there being too many schools, and not enough jobs. The people that come here from out of state, go to school here, and leave, aren't the problem. It's the people who've been raised here, who have roots, that are leaving. They're leaving because the state is too expensive to live in. Why is it so expensive?

The article points it out.
    How about halving the size of government, and making it more affordable to both live, and do business here. BTW, anyone know when my property taxes are going down, or those 1,000 cops are going to be on the beat?

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,970 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Call it protectionism ... for better or worse but we make less and less in this country and especially in New England. The main reason my candidate was John Edwards. Anyways ... New England once led the country in manufacturing and it's no secret why we are down on our luck ... make goods and you have a trade surplus and/or better economy ... it's not rocket science.

15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

I'm not opposed to what you're saying. But unless you're talking about price controls (which I'm fairly certain you oppose) how can you reduce housing costs (which are the main culprit IMO)? The reason I left after college, as did many others my age from Mass that I know, was simply the lack of job variety and opportunities for college grads. I suspect this is the same with New York but to a much lesser extent. Unless you want to work in Finance or the Medical insustry (or Rt. 128 IT stuff) there aren't very many available choices. And are you sure that out of state college students in Mass aren't part of this statistic? I always thought they were considered residents. In any case, unless you're willing to take a policy stand against gentrification, I don't see how you can ever expect places like Newton to be less expensive. have a friend who pays nearly 2k a month to live on D street in Southie. SOUTHIE! I actually think Mass is even more desirable to live in now, whoch is why it's more expensive unfortunately.

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Students come and go. A student added this year, wasn't here last year, and will leave in 4 years, only to be replaced once again. That might sound confusing, but stop and think about it. Aside from that, price controls aren't anywhere near what I'd do. First and foremost, there are no quick fixes. Only widespread cuts in government, which will take a long time to pay dividends. What you have to do is make the state as desirable a place to both live, and do business. When you constantly increase the costs to run government, you not only affect the individual tax payers directly, but you affect them through 3rd parties that pass their added expenses on too. The key is to decrease the size, cost, size, and scope of government. Massachusetts ranks 47th in the country, in favorable states to do business in. It's simply too expensive to do anything here. The culture in this state is gross. Everyone getting fat on other people's money.

It's time to watch the B-ball game.