Welcome to PatsFans.com

Better Off By The Numbers - Corporate Win

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Sep 5, 2012.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,757 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Obama is not much different than Romney - why do voters think he is - he is a corporate President.

Better Off Under Obama? Let's Count The Ways We're Not - Investors.com

• Median incomes: These have fallen 7.3% since Obama took office, which translates into an average of $4,000. Since the so-called recovery started, median incomes continued to fall, dropping $2,544, or 4.8%.

• Long-term unemployed: More than three years into Obama's recovery, 811,000 more still fall into this category than when the recession ended.

• Poverty: The poverty rate climbed to 15.1% in 2010, up from 14.3% in 2009, and economists think it may have hit 15.7% last year, highest since the 1960s.

• Food stamps: There are 11.8 million more people on food stamps since Obama's recovery started.

• Disability: More than 1 million workers have been added to Social Security's disability program in the last three years.

• Misery Index: When Obama took office, the combination of unemployment and inflation stood at 7.83. Today it's 9.71.

• Union membership: Even unions are worse off under Obama, with membership dropping half a million between 2009 and 2011.

• Debt: Everyone is far worse off if you just look at the national debt. It has climbed more than $5 trillion under Obama, crossing $16 trillion for the first time on Tuesday and driving the U.S. credit rating down.
    Ironically, the only people better off under Obama are corporate chieftains, who've seen corporate profits climb more than 50% under Obama's "recovery," and investors, who've benefited from a near-doubling in the Dow industrials from its March 2009 lows.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +853 / 12 / -7

Icy, since you say he's corporatist, would you like him to lurch sharply leftward after the reelection? You've demonstrated here that the recovery thus far is (as is often the pattern) concentrated among the better-off. There's a long discussion to have about that, but for right now, what is your complaint? That Obama's policies must emphasize breaks for the middle class, and a greater burden of revenue-production among the wealthy?

It seems like since there is a recovery, but the poor and the middle are reaping less of the benefit (again) than the wealthy, you're saying Obama has to be more leftist to be a good president. Am I reading you right?

PFnV

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Have to wonder if the reason that the rich have done so much better, if the scales are not tilted that way?? The reality is that this has been an economic downturn that has primarily effected the middle and lower classes, it has had little impact on the wealthy.

Some of the numbers you present are somewhat disengenuous, for example you indicate that there is a rise in the number of permanently disabled, but is the reality that 45% of our returning veterans applying for this status factored in??

Unions are down, because the right hates unions and have stymied their efforts to organize and public hiring is down as well.

The food stamp number do not compare to anything, need a comparison to make this valid.. know this is up, but a raw figure just adds hysterical conclusions...

I do agree that the corporatists have done extremely well in this economy, primariliy because the US economy works this way...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  4. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +876 / 14 / -29

Darryl....Its always been tilted that way

there has been plenty of impact in the exective world, the only difference is that if you have 30M and lose half, you still have 15M, besides, their economics are sufficiently diversified to be able to handle the situation without it impacting their lives. I would have liked to have a bigger cushion, also.

As for the unions, their necessity as well as the way they are percieved is cyclical. many, but not all unions have no longer become about having the working man get what he has earned, but rather it became a powerful form of leverage that became abused. I only have a couple of specific examples of union employees, but I see both the good and the bad.......my wife is a teacher, and I see an example of how a union DOES work. then I have a friend who's in IBEW103 and I see one that doesn't. maybe its because the teacher situation is a much more stable one, but my electrician buddy is a prototypical 'system abuser' and was entirely enabled by the union itself. I know I would not hire an electrician from that shop.

As for food stamps, EBT's, or whateveer assistance program that may exist, they are all up substantially. who cares about exactly how much......simple handouts are never an answer to anyone except those who lack the physical or mental ability to seek out work. for every person who actually needs that kind of assistance, a line forms behind them of people who want to abuse the system and get something for nothing........unfortunately, it has been an inherent trait in our culture ever since these forms of assistance have existed. I have seen in more than one place that we are providing assistance in record numbers.....both in sheer numbers and per capita

5. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,757 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Actually I am saying he could do a better job if he dealt with them with a firmer hand. It's pretty much been proven that he's a corporate President and panders for their money. Perhaps PF ... if he wins and no longer needs them he will change. I am not complaining - but in my world a good job is never a good enough job. He is pretty much allowing corporations to do the same thing his party accuses Romney of doing. He needs to fulfill his promise of rewarding companies that manufacture in the USA to get a 'B' grade in my opinion. make it expensive to outsource and produce outside of the country.

As per Darryl's and IC's well written posts - increased manufacturing in this country IMO will lead to less handouts and even increased tax income for the country. We have many people who are only capable of the lowest levels of labor (the education problem). We need to find ways to get manufacturing back into the country. If that means more support for factories (to use an old term), like it is in China then so be it. I'd rather see support for manufacturing vs more EBT cards.

More rewarding for the human spirit when they are producing and feel part of the solution - and that's been proven. The lazy will always be lazy - no solution there and never will be but helping those who want to be helped off of government money - we can make better efforts in that area.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  6. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +876 / 14 / -29

Let's face it.....neither Obama nor Romney got to this point without making deals that broke their own principles.......

I can't believe that both guys sit there every night and actually believe all of the garbage that they spew

7. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,757 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Obama provided many DC jobs for the people connected to Wall Street. Again - not that Romney won't do the same but please stop acting like your different Barack - because you're not. Most of the lawyers in the DOJ have all worked for Wall Street firms and that is fact.

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Obama lost me at Geithner.

9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,757 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Going slightly off topic this was the big joke of the McCain campaign. His campaign was stocked and loaded with former and maybe even present lobbyists. It was shameful how he pretended to be the big government maverick - it was a :rofl: for anyone paying attention.