Welcome to PatsFans.com

Better Carl Palmer (EL&P) or Neil Peart (Rush) ?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by italian pat patriot, Aug 10, 2006.

1. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

difficult to say...

the two best drummers imho

what you think ?

2. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Peart. The guy is the dog's b*llocks. I rated John Bonham as well.

3. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1

I agree, Peart.

4. italian pat patriot

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Peart is really amazing

i have been able to see alive the RUSH in Milan

it was a beautiful concert

my 3 top Rush song

1 - Subdivisions
    2 - Limelight
    3 - Tom Sawyer

the most beautiful from E L & P imo is Hoedown and From the beginning

5. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Hate to go with the crowd, but it's Peart for me too. One of the three or four hardest drummers I ever had to learn. Not the hardest, but certainly the toughest of the 'popular' drummers for me, and the drummers that I taught. Palmer had some great stuff, but not at the same technical level.

I'd put Michael Shrieve above them both, as well as Phil Collins (only his work with the jazz-fusion band, Brand X) and maybe Scott Rockenfield, one of the most underrated but technically mindblowing percussionists ever.

6. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -3

Ahh favorite drummers!

Between the two I'd go with Peart, easilly... thought I do think "speed drumming" is very over-rated. In my opinion knowing when NOT to play is even more important than knowing when or how to play when it comes to that instrument.

Keith Moon deserves mention among the best rock drummers as does Bonham and Ginger Baker. Stuart Copeland of the Police and Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzman of the Grateful Dead should be in there somewhere too.

My darkhorse candidates are Kenwood Denard who plays drums for Maceo Parker on "Live on Planet Groove" - check out the extended funky drum solo and trading of licks with Maceo (James Brown's sax player for those unaware) on "Shake Everything You've Got" http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Kenwood_Dennard.html

Another less known but incredible funk jazz drummer is Omar Hakim - who played with Sting when he began his own funk jazz experiment (with Branford Marsalis too) on the live Bring on the Night Album (check out the late Kenny Kirkland's keyboard work on that album too) http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Omar_Hakim.html

Wil Calhoun from Living Color is another one who gets overlooked - its his Jazz work that really sets him apart rather than anything that got radio play
    http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/William_Calhoun.html

Art Blakey is one more offering - just an incredible jazz drummer who I think really showed every modern drummer what you could do on the drum set
    http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Art_Blakey.html

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  7. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Omar Hakim!! Nice!
    :rocker:

8. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,317 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

This actually is an area of expertise for me, as publisher of a music magazine devoted to the progressive rock/art-rock genre. I've interviewed Carl Palmer a number of times, have attended his clinics and seen him perform live many times as well. I have not had the pleasure of interviewing Peart, but have seen him perform and also have his DVDs. In terms of pure technique and overall ability, my nod goes unequivocally to Palmer, who at age 56 is better than ever. Check out his percussion concerto, and his work on "Pirates" and "Karn Evil 9." Palmer's grounding in classical and ethnic percussion, as well as jazz, makes him quite unique. Others who bring something extra to the table:

Terry Bozzio

Bill Bruford

Dennis Chambers

Rod Morgenstein

Virgil Donati

Cozy Powell

Doane Perry

www.progressionmagazine.com

9. italian pat patriot

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

did you interviewed Emerson and Lake too ? tell something more pls about Palmer - grazie !

10. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,317 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

Yes, I've also interviewed Lake and Emerson more than once. Palmer is a nice guy, very intense and perhaps the sharpest intellect I've ever interviewed. He answers questions immediately, and in depth, without having to stop and think first about his answer. He is very athletic; he won a European master's competition in fencing. He is now touring with his own three-piece band (guitar and bass, no vocals) and has two live albums out under Carl Palmer Band. Emerson and Lake also are touring with their own groups. All of them say ELP will never re-form.

11. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Karn Evil 9, hands down amazing. The name Tunescribe now makes sense, nice looking publication man. :)

I'll admit I haven't heard any of these guys play in years and years. Good to hear Palmer is still kickin'.

12. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,317 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

The last time I spoke with Palmer was a few months ago by phone, he was at his home in England. I could hear him clicking his drumsticks together as we talked. The guy is forever practicing or playing. Another person like that is Steve Morse, guitarist for Deep Purple and the Dixie Dregs. He never puts his guitar down. He's also a pilot (even flew commercially at one point). Someone who flew with him once told me that while the plane was in the air, he'd have one hand on the controls and the other on his guitar -- sometimes BOTH hands on his guitar.

13. italian pat patriot

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

my memories are with them - i remember when i bought the lp called 'Tarkus' (i listened it an incredible number of times)

but the 2 songs i loved more were 'Hoedown' (on youtube there is a beautiful version of their live concert in Milan, Italy dated 1973) and 'From the beginning'

i always thought, and you are confirming it, that Carl Palmer was very sharp

pity that EL&P will not re.form for a last world tour but if i'm now wrong i heard that Keith Emerson is not in a great shape (am i right ?)

i loved also the 'Yes' (best song was 'and you and i' but i liked too 'close to the edge')

sigh...the past...

14. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -3

Can't believe I left out Carter Beauford of the Dave Matthews Band!

Whether its knowing when to play or when not to play - speed drumming, or subtle timekeeping he's got it all going on

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Carter_Beauford.html

15. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,317 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

I've got good news for you ItalianPat: Keith Emerson is in INCREDIBLE shape. I saw him with his band a few weeks ago and it was amazing. He is 61 years old and performed like he was 25. He was jumping up and down and playing with speedy nimbleness -- better than he was with ELP in the '90s. I was amazed. He has Marc Bonilla with him on guitar and vocals, who did a great job on the Greg Lake vocal parts. I believe there will be a DVD of the Keith Emerson Band, so watch for it. And if you have a chance to see this show live, don't miss it. They played for 2 hours 40 minutes, with an intermission.

By the way, do you ever see the great Italian progressive bands in your country -- Banco, Le Orme, PFM, etc.? I love them all.

16. italian pat patriot

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

i prefered Premiata Forneria Marconi (then P.f.m.)

i loved 'Chocolate kings' album

i liked also some Le Orme songs

not so much Banco del Mutuo Soccorso (then banco only)

PFM was my favourite and Franz was the leader of the group

i think we have the same age...