PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bethel Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

harveyw

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I do not understand how there are so many in this forum that still believe Bethel is a great talent and will be a loss. He has been an utter disappointment to say the least. He is argueably the highest KR ever drafted and he can't even return punts. He flat out sucks. It has been one of the worst picks in the SP/BB era. Yeah, Bethel has top end speed, but so did Tony Simmons. I may even venture out on a limb and claim Hobbs is a better KR option than Bethel.

As for the trade, I love it. Yes, Sullivan is currently considered a HUGE BUST, but I will take my chances on a #6 overall pick for a fringe player that may not have even made our team. My only issue is how do we plan on employing Seymour, Green, Wilfork, Warren, Sullivan??? Possibly signs of more 4-3 upcoming this year.

FWIW, and it may not be much, Johnathan Sullivan was a no-brainer 1st rounder that, from what I've read, the Patriots' braintrust had targeted as a first round possibility. Look at their 1st round track record. They literally NEVER miss. Sometimes they take chances in the draft, but hardly ever in round one. They take chances like, well...BETHEL JOHNSON in round 2, betting on his elite speed and, in this case, losing.

So we trade a guy that most felt was a pretty big reach in round 2 for a guy that most people - and, more importantly, the Patriots themselves - considered a sure-fire first round pick.

Again I ask, WHY ARE PEOPLE IN ANY WAY AGAINST THIS DEAL????

Last edited:
I agree 100%...its a great deal even if Sullivan is no more than a backup. When our WR corps were down to nothing Bethel could not even step in then a contribute. He was a wasted roster spot.

maybe we sign Hakim as a KR/ 4-5 WR if not Patten or any cuts :eek:

patsox23 said:
FWIW, and it may not be much, Johnathan Sullivan was a no-brainer 1st rounder that, from what I've read, the Patriots' braintrust had targeted as a first round possibility. Look at their 1st round track record. They literally NEVER miss. Sometimes they take chances in the draft, but hardly ever in round one. They take chances like, well...BETHEL JOHNSON in round 2, betting on his elite speed and, in this case, losing.

So we trade a guy that most felt was a pretty big reach in round 2 for a guy that most people - and, more importantly, the Patriots themselves - considered a sure-fire first round pick.

Again I ask, WHY ARE PEOPLE IN ANY WAY AGAINST THIS DEAL????

I agree - Bethel Johnson, somehow, turned into Tony Simmons. Huge disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes