PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bethel Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what's worse...

scott99 said:
That's no excuse. Bethel will be 27 next season, and has the WR skills and knowhow of a college sophomore. It's time to let the mistake go, and move forward. I don't see PK Sam on the Pats next year either. You can't give a guy TWO years on the practice squad (Hell even Childress has more time on the field than Sam), I don't care how young he is, another mistake that has to be cut loose, at least he was a 5th rounder instead of a wasted 2nd rounder (BJ). I remember draft day 2003, I kept saying to myself, Bethel "f#cking" Johnson ?? I have never gotten over that.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the talent, but the brain is located way south of the skull. I wonder how the interview went with Bethel & BB, how did he get this one so wrong ? He hasn't gotten many wrong, but this was a doozy.

...is that they traded one of their 4th round picks to move 5 spots, from 50 to 45, to take him. I find it a little hard to believe that another team would have been foolish enough to take him between 45-49, especially with the other WRs mentioned still available.

Where Bethel seems to be of highest value is on the Kickoff team, although everyone expects to see him doing KR. Bethel seemed to be on the Kickoff unit a lot earlier in the season, although he is little noticed. If the kickoff return man gets very far Bethel would be around the ball and he actually tackles as well.

As a WR Bethel does have a very limited set of skills. One factor DB's seem to ignore is that Bethel isn't only fast, he's extremely quick. However when he has been open long Brady typically under-threw him, creating a high risk of an INT because Bethel is past the DB.

Now Brady seems to be actually over-throwing long sometimes, so we might see Bethel as a "stealth" WR. I would look for the Pat' s to use the long ball more now Brady is throwing it better.

Even in college Bethel wasn't catching many balls. It's hard to guess why the Pat's used such a high draft pick unless they were really desperate for help on ST.

Last edited:
scott99 said:
That's no excuse. Bethel will be 27 next season, and has the WR skills and knowhow of a college sophomore. It's time to let the mistake go, and move forward. I don't see PK Sam on the Pats next year either. You can't give a guy TWO years on the practice squad (Hell even Childress has more time on the field than Sam), I don't care how young he is, another mistake that has to be cut loose, at least he was a 5th rounder instead of a wasted 2nd rounder (BJ). I remember draft day 2003, I kept saying to myself, Bethel "f#cking" Johnson ?? I have never gotten over that.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the talent, but the brain is located way south of the skull. I wonder how the interview went with Bethel & BB, how did he get this one so wrong ? He hasn't gotten many wrong, but this was a doozy.

Scott -
You have your facts wrong on PK Sam. He hasn't spent 2 years on the Practice squad. And the only reason Childress has seen more time on the field than Sam is because Childress played DB 2 weeks ago. Sam got injured in his rookie year. You know. When he was 21. He's 22 this year. Players are usually given 3 years. Also, Childress was dressed because he can return kicks. Something Sam is not very adept at. (Only had 4 Kick returns and 6 punt returns in college).

NEM said:
1: They are not expecting Bethel. He hasnt been in game film for weeks.

2: Go with the no huddle, removing the option of Denver changing personnel.

3: He comes into the game with the entire offensive unit following the kickoff return.. They wont notice, and if they do, they wont have time to adjust.

4: They will expecting run with Corey in the backfield, play acton will hold them just long enough for Bethel to pull it off.

The Broncos have scouting reports on everyone on the roster and their players will know them. When they look across the line and see 81, they will know it is a guy who can only run deep. They have no need to change personnel because all they need to do is put a corner on him, give him a nice cushion to eliminate his speed and he is useless.

You want to go deep in this game you have a much better chance with Branch or Givens or even Davis who actually need to be respected on all routes.

NEM said:
I would quietly sneak him into the huddle on the first play from scrimmage, split him wide, with Branch in the slot and Givens wide on the other side.....play action to Dillon and go to Bethel on a deep post..... out of the no huddle......

Two questions: How do you sneak a player into the huddle on a no huddle play? and how do you run a 'no huddle' on the first play of the game? Just run out from the sideline straight to the LOS? Never heard of that. ON the second snap of the game, sure, but straight from the sideline to the LOS? New!

;)

NEM said:
They wont have time to make the adjustment against a no huddle and quick count.....on the first play from scrimmage.

A cushion wont work..... especially if you decoy the safety with a mid range skinny post underneath.

Once Bethel makes his inside cut, he is behind the corner...and a pass that is on target is six points.

Let me get this right... We've passed almost exclusively this season. Averaged about 3.2 per carry on the ground. And only sent Bethel deep through-out his career. And you think that a no-huddle first play with Corey in the backfield and #81 split wide won't be an obvious passing situation.

Please take into accoutn that Bethel is not one of our run blocking WRs. They'll notice that D Give or Brown or whoever isn't out there so that 'run in a straight line real fast' Bethel can be.

How dumb do you think the Broncos are?

What you described is an 'obvious pass play' with an 'obvious route' by an 'obvious pass player'. When has Bethel EVER been in on a successful run package? Answer: Next to never! If he's out there, they know we're passing. The play you've described is more a recipe for an easy INT than an easy TD.

EDIT: and also, when has Bethel ever made a 'cut'? his lack of precise route running is one of the main factors why he sucks as a WR. If he ran that route, his 'cut' under the CB wouldn't fool the defender and he'd be all over Bethel's route. Bethel can outrun a player straightline, but on a post play unless he's on a safety man to man I can't see him beating a CB due to his shoddy route running and lack of burst out of his breaks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back