PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bethel Johnson Traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
pats1 said:
Scouts, Inc. has him graded at a 69, or the borderline between an 'adequate' and 'good' starter.

"Can get good penetration to disrupt running lanes...plays with good leverage and is strong and big enough to control line of scrimmage...fair change of direction skills...plays with a high level of energy and tenacious in pursuit...fluid athlete but is caught sitting in his stance at the snap...poor anticipation of snap count...needs to develop more as a pass rusher and become more consistent with his effort...stops his feet pass rushing and doesn't have counter move...doesn't get a good push on the pocket because he stops his feet...tends to get overeager when penetrating and can miss the tackle because he leaves his feet or tries to make an arm tackle..."

Bethel was rated a 67, or an 'adequate' starter.

Interesting trade. I'm surprised that Bethel was gone, pre training camp. Sullivan sounds like competition/backup/NT. Those big lads in the middle benefit from a bit of rest...

Could this be a sign that they are comfortable knowing they will eventually re-sign Deion Branch sometime soon? Consider if Branch leaves the Pats after 2006, our 3 most experienced receivers are Jackson, Childress and Caldwell. I think we may be locking up Branch soon while making a play for another receiver (Patten, Lelie?).

dryheat44 said:
And it's hard to project Sullivan as either an end or nose in the 3-4. If true, it's likely the final nail in the Klecko coffin.

Sullivan had his best year last year, which wasn't hard to do. He may finally be getting un-lazy.

Possibly the Saints are getting close to unloading Stallworth. Otherwise, it's hard to see where Johnson fits in a deep receiving corps and one of the few KRs in football who are faster than he is.
From the pats.com story:

The Saints have been upset with his poor conditioning in the past, and during their recently completed mini-camp he struggled with the heat despite being 20 pounds lighter than previous offseasons. In 2004, he was inactive for seven of New Orleans’ final eight games despite being healthy. In 36 career games, Sullivan managed just 1.5 sacks and 77 tackles.

Part of a blurb on Sullivan from just yesterday on yahoo Sports-

Jun 4 Mike Triplett, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports New Orleans Saints DT Johnathan Sullivan's progress is a big topic around Saints camp every year, but this is probably the most critical offseason yet for Sullivan, a former first-round draft pick. With a new coaching staff that has already replaced several veterans, Sullivan will have to earn his place based on merit. Sullivan seems optimistic about his chances, saying he reported at 328 pounds to this weekend's minicamp, compared to 350 or 355 in years past, and that coaches have told him to be below 318 by training camp. He showed some fatigue during the first set of two-a-day practices in the summer heat Friday, June 2, and head coach Sean Payton didn't seem pleased with it, but the jury is still out. "It's not a big topic for me," Payton said. "I mean, I expect from him like I would anyone else, the same expectation level we have for anyone on this team. When it becomes a big topic, then it's a problem, probably"

Payton's trying to make a statement to the team with this move. new coach = house cleaning

link http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6342/news;_ylt=A9htfuKIhoRE2WAAkRH.uLYF

Last edited:
Jacky Roberts said:
flat out great trade? They traded a true burner for a bust. If Sullivan doesn't pan out, this will be a horrific deal. If they had to trade Bethel, they should have got a draft pick instead of this clown. I realize Bethel has underachieved, but you can't teach speed and talent. I guess BB didn't have the patience to try and harness it anymore.

Why did I even waste the time replying to this?

Last edited:
True...on Patriots.com....a good trade. They did NOT have avet like Bailey in TC at DL...so Sullivan is a good addition...another young one..

While recognizing that he might not even make the team, the two things that do interest me about Sullivan (other than talent at an important position) are that Seymour probably knows him well and he's sign to reasonable salaries through 2009. It's basically a no-lose shot as Bethel was also questionable to make the team.

Wow, now the Pats have 4 first-rounders on their D line. I'm not sure how many, if any, other teams can say that.

pats1 said:

Why did I even waste the time replying to this?

I guess this trade is two teams trading underachievers. I was reading a Saints board and most think the trade doesn't make sense. The paranoid ones feel that Sullivan will blossom under BB, while most don't understand why they need another WR. I think Stalworth is next to go. Bad trade until proven otherwise for NE

NEM said:
I fully gree with you about Bethel Johnson.

Perhaps if they gave Bethel more of a chance, and called the type of play7s he can excel at, deep post patterns where his speed geets him behind the safeties and he can aCELERATE AT FULLSPEED....

Instead,they kept sending him on sideline fly patterns, which has proventobe Brady's weakes passing situation...and almost impossible to complete...where the speed receiver has to give ground, and speed, to stay in bounds.

Deep Post patterns were rarely called for Bethel...

Watch the Saints explode him on those routes.

The Saints have an army at WR (assuming they keep Stallworth) and are now pretty thin at DL. Meanwhile we are thin at WR and loaded at DL. Interesting trade from both sides. If you ask me, Bethel was made to play on turf and will benefit greatly from playing in NO. Best of luck to him.

brdmaverick said:
ya, it's definitely a great trade especially since Bethel just wasn't fitting in with the team

Bethel's highlights as a Pat.....

1.) incredible catch vs. SEA
2.) kickoff return for TD at IND right before halftime
3.) long playoff TD vs. TEN
4.) great third down catch and run to allow an eventual TD drive to continue vs. TEN
5.) long bomb TD at ATL
i wouldnt call it a great trade, i mean theres a reason new orleans is giving up on this guy. plus i would imagine the the pats are taking on a good amount of sullivans contract. but this guy has a very high ceiling so they almost have nothing to lose. and bethel became expendable when they got jackson and caldwell and they have plenty of kr's/pr's.

NEM said:
Perhaps if they gave Bethel more of a chance, and called the type of plays he can excel at . . . watch the Saints explode him on those routes.
Wow, what do you know . . . Bethel would have been a stud if only our coaching staff was as good as that of the Saints . . .

:bricks: :rolleyes:

i thought Bethel had the last chance this year at TC due to the fact we are thin at WR but, as per facts, the time for him was over...

Sullivan could be intriguing...

but now we lost another player at WR...
there is no so much depth now

BelichickFan said:
It's basically a no-lose shot as Bethel was also questionable to make the team.

Johnson really didn't live up to expectations after showing flashes of big-play ability in 2003. It's safe to say he became a bust and I'm glad we're rid of him. At least w/ Sullivan, we have the luxury of low expectations, since he won't be a regular starter.

AllabouttheVinces said:
This trade leaves us very thin at WR. We've lost 4 of the top 6 on last year's depth chart, adding only Jackson. Looks like 2-TE sets will be the norm.
WHat makes you think there will NOT be a trade for a WR before camp???

I'm STUNNED that anyone here thinks this is a bad deal for the Patriots. CLEARLY, from having just traded for him, BB and Pioli thought well of the guy back in 2001. Sure he's been a bust in N.O. and that is certainly a concern, but:

A) Bethel's spot wasn't secure anyway (and I LIKE Bethel)

B) the aspect of Seymour's presence and influence simply cannot be undersold

It's possible Bethel would've been dumped for a 5th rounder. He may have been released. So, while I too am sad to see that chapter close, I'm more than enthused about the possibility of Johnathan Sullivan blossoming in Foxboro.

Seriously, how can you people have a problem with this move???

Now if we can just swing a Klecko-and-a-pick-for-Stallworth deal, we'll be all set.

I wonder if Sullivan's main competition will be DE-M.Hill or DT-M.Wright ?

AllabouttheVinces said:
We've lost 4 of the top 6 on last year's depth chart, adding only Jackson.

They've also added Caldwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye