PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best/Worst NFL analysts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamie dukes is an absolute ******* moron.

I remember the draft about two years ago. Dukes and Mayock almost literally came to blows. Dukes was spouting out crap like he knew what he was talking about and questioning Mayock's analysis on every pick. Funny, that was the last draft Dukes ever appeared on.

Best:
boomer esiason
Mayock
charles davis
randy cross

Worst:
Tom Jackson and most of the ESPN crew
Marshall Faulk
NY Media (papa, king, shein, etc)
Gasper
too many others to name

My wife pays very little attention to the draft each year. Friday night we went out to eat (it was her birthday) and there was a TV on over the bar, and she saw Kiper and asked me, "Who is the guy with that hair?!" I told her it was Mel Kiper, and she asked if he was a coach or something. When I explained what he does, it blew her mind that he makes a living (and I'm betting a pretty good one) just analyzing college football players year round. I told her, "That's the biz, baby!"

Best=Mike Carlson. :D

Mike Carlson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carlson developed a few strange "catchphrases" during his commentary of NFL highlights broadcast during gaps in the live game, -including a list of alternative names for stadia and teams e.g. Arizona Crads' (half-Card, half crap), Newark Airport Jets & New Jersey Giants, "he couldn't be more alone if he was..." for touchdowns scored by players with nobody around them, with the punchline usually involving a celebrity or famous figure that has been caught with their trousers down, to making special note of anyone involved named "Nate", the name of his son. He often refers to player Torry Holt as "The Torry You Can Support" - a jibe at the Conservative Party's recent misfortunes in UK politics (they are known as the Tories). He also refers to Reggie Bush as "The Bush you can support" - a jibe at George W. Bush. Another common catchphrase is "and that pass was high, but not in the Ricky Williams sense," referring to the player's use of marijuana. He developed a fictional award named "Trent of the Week" for the best player in the week's games named Trent. Some of Mike's more elaborate comedic moments involved complex re-wordings of The Raven during a rough patch for the Baltimore Ravens, and singing a re-lyricised version of John Brown's Body - entitled Jeff George Is Marching On.

I like Esiasaon, Jaworski, and Gruden. I used to like Sean Salisbury a lot too but I don't know where he went to. I'd have to say that Phil Simms is my favorite color analyst.

As for my least favorites, I can't stand the ESPN Countdown guys and I utterly despise Mark Schlereth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will never understand why people think Kiper isn't good at his job. He's not an analyst in the traditional "breaking down the game" sense, and he's never pretended to be. I can see why some may not like him, but that dude knows everything about college players.
Right. but what separates Mayock from Kiper is. Mayock will tell you how a collegiate athletes game will translate to the NFL. Kiper doesnt do that.

I remember the draft about two years ago. Dukes and Mayock almost literally came to blows. Dukes was spouting out crap like he knew what he was talking about and questioning Mayock's analysis on every pick. Funny, that was the last draft Dukes ever appeared on.

Dukes was plenty prominent in the LA Draft Studio that NFL had set up.

That being said, Dukes is a moron.

Kiper tends to have good info, but is horrible with his opinions.

I don't care for Todd McShay. He comes off even more arrogant than Kiper at times.

Marshall Faulk is just a loser.

Mayock is good. Charles Davis.

Chavous is getting there, but he has to refine his voice..

JOEL BUCHSBAUM........May he rest in peace

All who followed,were mere pretenders.

JOEL BUCHSBAUM........May he rest in peace

All who followed,were mere pretenders.

Indeed.

The only one that Bill Belichick wanted to give a job to. OTOH, the one who predicted that "The Patriots most set up for failure" -- in 2001!

Jaws has to be one of the best film breakdown artists around. I can only imagine that nfl teams would love to have him on their staff.

I agree that Jaws is great, but pretty much every team has a dozen guys who break down film like that.

Have you ever seen BB do it? Hes fantastic.

Generally speaking, most of them are the same - very mediocre.

Jaws is very good. Boomer is a good studio guy.

Simms could be really good. He is really good if you hear him on radio during the week breaking down a game. In game, he just can't bring himself to criticize QBs no matter how bad they play and then he goes way over the top in praising them when they play well. It kills him as an analyst.

Kiper is fine at what he does. He's not a football analyst and doesn't appear on a football show. He's on once a year on a made for TV entertainment special. He is neither right or wrong more often than anyone else on those shows. He's just more visible with his ridiculous hair and more full of himself.

Faulk, Schlereth, both Sharpes, Dukes, Ian Eagle, hoge, and Solomon Wilcox are among the completely awful.

Last edited:
Worst: Bucky Brooks. HAVE people forget about this moron?? He doesn't get one right, always hating on the Pats. Pure idiot.
Vic Carucci. "The dolphins will end up winning the divison this year(2009)" WHAT A DUMBASS.

Kiper spends way too much time on his hair instead of actually doing his job. Also, his glasses are horrendous.

Faulk is really really bad. I had no idea what the stuff was that came out of his mouth during the draft.

Re: Best/Worst NFL analyst's?

Worst: That former runningback dude from the St Louis Rams - - Kevin Faulk's cousin - -he still stews about his lost luster after SB 36. Everytime he's on TV he looks like he's fighting an ulcer named Belichick (and losing) :D.

That and it sounds like he hasn't gone through puberty yet. I hate Marshall Faulk.

Mel "Eddie Munster" Kiper sucks in the worst way possible. Remember last year when BB drafted Sea Bass? Kiper said he was a huge reach....

I wish I could be as wrong as Kiper is, and still have that job year in and year outl

McShay gets ripped, but he genuinely seems to know players well.

If knowledge is what I am after, just listen to Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwin, on Sirius radio. They show little bias, and know everything.

Pat Kirwin is good, he is on NFl radio and not the tube though.

Worst are Berman, Kiper, McShay, Ed Werder, John Clayton, Trent Dilfer, Herm Edwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back