Welcome to PatsFans.com

Best treats from your hometown/part of the country

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Tunescribe, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +451 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

In keeping with F.B.N.'s entertaining food threads: I'm originally from Iowa via Illinois, and there's one delicacy from back there I've missed since moving to New England: the pork tenderloin sandwich. It's an oversized breaded pork fritter that's deep fried -- crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, usually served on a sandwich roll or hamburger bun. The fritter usually is too big for the bun, so you need to start by eating around the edges. Add sliced dill pickles, mustard and chopped onions, a serving of fries or onion rings on the side, and it's junk food heaven. I need to see if I can get some of those shipped frozen.
  2. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thing I miss the most: Good Italian food and pizza. It is absolute crap in Atlanta- sorry excuse for Italian. We've found one restaurant (run by New Yorkers, go figure) that's good, but I can always tell when the cook doesn't have a vowel at the end of his last name. . .

That, and fresh seafood. They try to tell you it's fresh down here, but it's SO not.

I miss Del's, too. And Newport Creamery.
  3. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +451 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

I forgot to mention A & W rootbeer. I don't know if they have A & W drive-ins anymore, but you could drive up and place your order into an intercom thingy without leaving your car. They'd brink it out on a tray that hooked onto your car door. The fresh, cold fountain tap rootbeer was amazing -- all crisp and bubbly with a thick foamy head. Ah, summertime memories ...
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  4. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +451 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

Is there a preponderance of Mexican restaurants down where you are? I was in Mexico in March and got sick. I can't even LOOK at a plate of Mexican food now without wretching. Beans, rice and cheese just doesn't do it for me. Yuck!
  5. Coast2CoastPatsFan

Coast2CoastPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There is in California, and in general it's pretty good......I really like good Mexican cuisine. I'd be willing to bet that you got sick because of the water used in whatever you ate. It's happened to me before, presumably from the guacamole used on some tacos I ate because they use tap water, something you definitely avoid down in Mexico. Always make sure you drink bottled water down there and try to eat in higher class restaurants.
  6. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +451 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

Good point! Bottled water is a given, but I never thought about tap water being used in condiments. I was probably distracted too much by the thrill of getting steak tacos for $1 each.
  7. Jacky Roberts

Jacky Roberts Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My personal hometown pastry is a Mille-Feuille. Very basic, but very good.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2005
  8. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +451 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

Where is your hometown, and what he heck is a Mille-Feuille?
  9. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My husband got sick in Mexico on our honeymoon. He swore up and down that he didn't drink the water!! He now refuses to go to Mexico again and won't go to a Mexican restaurant, either.

One other treat I forgot. . .Zeppoles on St. Joseph's Day!! Can't get those down here, either.
  10. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +451 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

It's amazing how once you get sick on something you can't touch it again. That happened another time to me when I was a kid, and got sick on sweetened coconut. Haven't touched the stuff in 40 years. OK, what is a zeppole?
  11. Coast2CoastPatsFan

Coast2CoastPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yep. I got nasty food poisoning one time from eating Tony Romas pork ribs. It hit me like a ton of bricks while watching one of the Bruins 1990 Stanley Cup Final games vs. Edmonton (if that wasn't sickening enough) at a local sports bar..........I felt like I was going to die. I have not and will not eat at Tony Romas again............just the thought or mentioning of it makes me feel ill.
  12. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

They still have A&W here in Kansas but it's nothing like you or I remember it with the drive in. It's just like if you were going into a McDonalds or Burger King.
  13. dalero

dalero PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Besides the obvious here in RI, we have DELLS!!!
  14. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Il vient de Paris. Milles feuilles se laisse traduire par "thousand leaves". J'espere que ca vous aide.

In my hometown, we have Eccles Cakes. Type that into google and find out for yourselves...
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  15. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here is a little treat from Wisconsin:

[​IMG]
  16. Dartanyan

Dartanyan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I love snowcones! But are those real? ;)
  17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +558 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Nice thread Tune ... I am a HOMER ... still live in my original hometown... HOWEVER... I told Sey this one time ... I really miss Jack-In-The-Box. They still exist in Texas (Sey country) I hear.

Not the greatest Taco ever...but whatever they were...they were awesome.

Me and my buddie, when i got my license would go to Warwick RI and eat 3 or 4 ... then we'd go to Olneyville and have 3 or 4 "Zogs"(weiners). All washed down with A & W root beer.

Ahhh those were the days... I could eat anything. I was small and short then. Around 5'3" and 110 lbs. LOL now I'm 6'1" and 260...:eek:
  18. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, it's why I don't drink rum anymore. . .Me + a handle of Captain + a toilet = freshman year of college. But I think that happens to most everyone.

A zeppole is a cream-filled italian pastry that is super yummy and has roughly 4.7 million calories and 800 grams of fat per serving.

[​IMG]
  19. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Edit to my previous post. I was very drunk last night, having been to a beer festival. How the hell I posted I don't know. :eek:
    Eccles Cakes are awful. They're a pastry thing with raisins in. We used to call them dead fly cakes. I'm from Manchester and our cuisine leaves a lot to be desired. Hot Pot is OK, I suppose. It's a meat and potato stew with a thick pastry crust. Every food I love is foreign, basically, with the exception of a big cooked breakfast (bacon, eggs, fried mushrooms, beans, sausages and some bread to mop up with). Oh, the other exception would be a Roast dinner, i.e. beef, potatoes and the various veg.
  20. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yep. They are still around here in a few places.

In Canada they are actually common.

I seen Jack in the Box in Phoenix, Dallas, Spokane areas. I'm sure I missed many other locations as well. I just remember going to those locations and having their double bacon cheesburgers. My favorite from them.

In my state...the famous foods are buffalo burgers, rocky mountain oysters (not a fan in the least), and many different micro brews (Moose Drool, Bayern, Trout Slayer Ale, etc.).

Good stuff.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2006