6 - Mosi Tatupu
7 - Craig James

I agree with our Italian friend 100%

I'd probably put Mosi ahead of Tony Collins. I'd also include Mini Mack Herron

Last edited:
1. Curtis Martin -all three seasons with the Pats were outstanding
2. Cory Dillon - had one incredible year, two mediocre ones
3. Jim "Bo" Nance - two outstanding seasons before injuries and weight issues

"Mini" Mack Herron gets Honorable Mention for most outstanding half season leading the Pats to a 6-1 first half in 1974. Running, returning and catching, little number 42 was electric for those 7 games before he wore down.

btw

craig james in 4 years in NE: 2,469 yds

antowain smith in 3 years in NE: 3,581 yds

john stephens in 5 years in NE: 3,249 yds

leonard russell in 3 years in NE: 2,437 yds

tony collins in 7 years in NE: 4,647 yds

or perhaps the true answer is--the running back that brought us the hot cheerleader daughter of his...

the best running back to play for our team was Corey Dillon and he proved that with his 1600 yard season but he became the best by his work as a bengal and capped it in 04 but I think one of the guys who played longer as a Pat take your pick Sam Bam or Jim Nantz or Mosi Tatupu (fan favorite)

imho my top 7:

1 - Sam Cunningham
2 - Jim Nance
3 - Curtis Martin
4 - Corey Dillon
5 - Tony Collins
6 - Mosi Tatupu
7 - Craig James

My view:

1 - Sam Cunningham
2 - Jim Nance
3 - Tony Collins
4 - Carl Garrett
5 - Curtis Martin*
6 - Corey Dillon*
7 - Larry Garron

Let's not forget about Garrett and Garron. While it would have been nice to retain Martin throughout his career, that didn't happen. I'm not sentimental for Curtis as he made his decision and left. A full career for Dillon would have been great, but I can't put either him or Martin ahead of Garrett or Collins. Garrett and Collins were both stalwarts and fit into the system at the time with many excellent runs and ample pass receptions.

As for Tatupu, he was a peoples favorite as a blocker and a tough runner in tight. He's not on the list of Best RB in Pats History, however. James had one full and another partial good season, and unfortunately, his career went the way of his injuries. Too bad, he would have been a good one had he been able to have the longevity.

My view:

1 - Sam Cunningham
2 - Jim Nance
3 - Tony Collins
4 - Carl Garrett
5 - Curtis Martin*
6 - Corey Dillon*
7 - Larry Garron

Let's not forget about Garrett and Garron. While it would have been nice to retain Martin throughout his career, that didn't happen. I'm not sentimental for Curtis as he made his decision and left. A full career for Dillon would have been great, but I can't put either him or Martin ahead of Garrett or Collins. Garrett and Collins were both stalwarts and fit into the system at the time with many excellent runs and ample pass receptions.

As for Tatupu, he was a peoples favorite as a blocker and a tough runner in tight. He's not on the list of Best RB in Pats History, however. James had one full and another partial good season, and unfortunately, his career went the way of his injuries. Too bad, he would have been a good one had he been able to have the longevity.

Tip my hat to you on the love for Carl Garrett. Very good back on some very bad teams. Number 30 was a player.

martin was the best over a career.
dillon was the best during his brief time here.

pick one of those two.

I agree, and I think if Dillon could have come here a year earlier he would have been great.

I'll go with Sam Cunningham. Corey Dillon and Curtis Martin had better careers and were better RB's, but they were mostly with other teams.

I remember John Stephens - he was a beast.

Best ever - Corey Dillon - he set the franchise record for rushing yards and was a huge part of the team winning a Super Bowl.

Curtis Martin.

letting him go was the biggest mistake of the Kraft era. At least he more than made up for the loss of Parcells by bringing back Belichick. Martin was never replaced until 2004.

Antowain Smith wins two SB's with us and doesn't get a single mention. What a bunch of haters!

He may have only avg'd 3.5 yards in '03 BUT he only fumbled once during the season.

Curtis Martin.

letting him go was the biggest mistake of the Kraft era. At least he more than made up for the loss of Parcells by bringing back Belichick. Martin was never replaced until 2004.

That team couldn't help but let him go - that was the original "poison pill". They would have been more in salary cap hell than they were when BB/SP took over.

btw

craig james in 4 years in NE: 2,469 yds

antowain smith in 3 years in NE: 3,581 yds

john stephens in 5 years in NE: 3,249 yds

leonard russell in 3 years in NE: 2,437 yds

tony collins in 7 years in NE: 4,647 yds

So that makes 2 of us who know who John Stephens is. I was wondering what people were thinking. Thats why i didnt bother making my list.

Sam Cunningham..

Then closely followed by Curtis Martin, Corey Dillon, John Stephens, Tony Collins, Jim Nance, Craig James and Robert Edwards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey