Votes: 15 26.3%
  • New England: Taylor, Maroney, Faulk

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • New York: Jones, Washington, Chatman

Votes: 10 17.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to add that the entire AFC East is loaded at RB. You really can't go wrong with any group on that list.

Last edited:
I would have chosen Miami, but the Pats are just deeper once again...

Considering that the top two RBs are on the field so much of the time, I went with Miami. I think that Brown is the best RB in the division and Williams may be the best back up, at least until we know how the Pats lineup shakes out.

Does Lynch's likely suspension factor into things? I think Buffalo has the most talented backfield, followed by New England, which wins pretty much on the basis that our fourth RB is better than any of the others' third.

All four backfields in the AFCE are awfully good though.

Lynch's suspension isn't "likely," it's definite. Goddell handed him a three game suspension, but he is appealing it. He'll likely get it knocked down a game; I'd be surprised it he didn't. Brandon Marshall got a three game suspension knocked down to only one, so I'm hoping that will happen here as well, but I think It'll end up being a two game suspension. He'll be missed, especially in the opener against the Pats. But Freddie Jackson can fill in pretty good. It's hard not to like the guy...great story behind him. He racked up 136 yards and averaged 5 yards a carry against New England last year while filling in for Lynch. I think Lynch's suspension is part of the reason why the Bills picked up Rhodes, too, who will definitely help them.

Anyway, Lynch is a beast. He'd do a lot better with better blocking. A lot of the Bills offensive success will depend on their line. We got rookies at both Guard positions, and a new Center from the Panthers. So the whole interior line is brand new. The rookies were highly touted, but we'll see how they do. The only two people that were on the line last year are playing different positions from last year. Langston Walker is switching from Right Tackle to Left Tackle, and Brad Butler is switching from Right Guard to Right Tackle. So every single position on the line will have a new person playing it.

It all starts up front, and blocking is a big question mark for the Bills this year. Let's not forget the importance of playcalling either. The Bills have shown to be idiotic about it a lot. Word has it that the Bills are going to use the no-huddle a lot this year...that could play to a lot of their stengths.

Lynch, Jackson, and Rhodes is a pretty deep lineup, though. Definitely not a weak point.

The Pats are deepest at RB imo. And Faulk is easily one of the best 3rd down backs in the AFC.

The Pats are deepest at RB imo. And Faulk is easily one of the best 3rd down backs in the AFC.

Yes. He is. But, to play devil's advocate : wouldn't it be better to have the best 3 down back than the best 3rd down back ?

Kinda like saying a certain band has the best backup singers in the business - I'd rather have the best frontman (or woman).

Yes. He is. But, to play devil's advocate : wouldn't it be better to have the best 3 down back than the best 3rd down back ?

Kinda like saying a certain band has the best backup singers in the business - I'd rather have the best frontman (or woman).
True, but on the other hand I believe Scott Pioli (or was it Bill Belichick?) once said "it's not about assembling the most talent; it's about assembling the best team."

Since the discussion is titled "Best RB/FB Group in AFC East" everybody that is going to see the playing field needs to be considered, not just the starter.

Kind of homer poll results if you ask me. That's OK, though.

You could make the argument that either Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams is the best running back in the division. Miami is #1 easily because their RB depth is so top-heavy. Pats #2 because they are deeper overall.

Jones is probably the best RB in the division, as of this moment. Washington is, perhaps, the most explosive/sudden. It's tough not to put the Jets at the top.

Brown is probably better than anyone on the Patriots, at this moment, and Williams is an excellent #2.

Lynch is great as long as he's got a counterpart.

I like what the Patriots have but, until Maroney shows that he's back and Taylor shows that last year was not the start of a precipitous decline, I think you have to put the Jets at #1, the Dolphins at #2 and have the Patriots and Bills battling for that #3 spot.

I look, hopefully, to a healthy Maroney and a still-has-it Taylor leading the Patriots RBs into the #1 spot in this poll when it's taken again after the regular season.

IMO, all four teams have significant question marks for at least 1 of their RBs.

Dolphins: One point where I seem to disagree with a lot of people on this thread is that I'm not quite as sold on Williams as a lot of you are. He had a solid year as a backup last season, certainly, but the backup RBs are good on all four teams. If either Williams or Brown goes down, which is a very distinct possibility given both of their recent injury histories, do they have the depth to cope? Not sure that they do.

Jets: Thomas Jones will turn 31 before the season, is mad about his contract, and has logged 290+ carries in each of the past four season. Since his workload was pretty light over the first four years of his career, he still doesn't have a ton of mileage on his body, but the Jets absolutely need him to stay healthy. Leon Washington isn't your standard feature back ( little guy, <150 carries over the past two years combined), and I'd be surprised if they tried to make him one even if Jones did have a down year.

Bills: Lynch is a headcase, admittedly, but he's also an awfully good young RB. And Jackson proved himself to be an excellent #2 last year, who was capable of stepping up and playing as the #1. With Rhodes as added depth, they can absolutely survive the loss of any of their RB with surprisingly little dropoff.

Pats: Same as the Bills, really. Maroney is an injury question-mark, and Morris and Taylor are both age question-marks, but they have easily the best 3rd down RB of the group and can survive the loss of any one of those guys just fine.

Basically, in this day and age it seems like you pretty much have to plan for injuries. Going 3 deep at RB is essentially a requirement, especially when your primary RB (or RBs) is aging or injury-prone. The Bills and Pats have depth and the Dolphins and Jets, comparatively, don't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back