Welcome to PatsFans.com

Best QB of the 2004 draft class?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Disco Volante, Feb 2, 2009.

?

Who's the best?

1. Ben Roethlisberger

46 vote(s)
    63.9%
  2. Eli Manning

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Phillip Rivers

24 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

======================================
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Games Started: 71

TDs: 101
    INTs: 69
    Yards: 14,974
    Completion: 62.4
    QB Rating: 89.4

Super Bowl Championships: 2
    Playoffs: 8-2
    Eli Manning
    Games Started: 71

TDs: 98
    INTs: 74
    Yards: 14,623
    Completion: 55.9
    QB Rating: 76.1

Super Bowl Championships: 1 (Super Bowl MVP)
    Playoffs: 4-3
    Phillip Rivers
    Games Started: 48

TDs: 78
    INTs: 36
    Yards: 10,697
    Completion: 62.3
    QB Rating: 92.9

Super Bowl Championships: 0
    Playoffs: 3-3
  2. patriotsdynasty12189

patriotsdynasty12189 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Is this even a question?
  3. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

2007: Manning to Burress (35 seconds)
    2008: Roethlisberger to Holmes (35 seconds)
    2009: Rivers to Jackson (35 seconds)
  4. billdog3484

billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

anyone who doesnt vote for Big Ben hasnt watched the games. i mean, gimme a break
  5. farn

farn Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Interesting question... to be honest, the most talented one is maybe Rivers, but he's also the one I would pick last given the choice.

He'll put up numbers and look great at times... while Ben looks aweful at times. But Ben's a winner, while Rivers is a whiner.

Manning : hard to tell what will happen... leads team to SB42 win, but was he the reason ? or was it the big D ? If he just continues current pace, he'll be forever remembered for one season.
  6. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

My prediction in 2004 was that Roethlisberger was going to be the best of that bunch and it looks like I was right.
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

I voted for Ben ... he has a calm demeanor out there. While not pretty he can be very effective and accurate. He would not have been as successfull had the Cardinals delayed one rusher ... but he pulled it off last night and he deserves the ring.
  8. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

No comparison its Ben but Rivers does well with what he has to work with he has really been coming around the last couple years (throwing a lot more accurate and the deep ball to jackson).
  9. captadamnj

captadamnj Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Depends on how you define best. From a stats and success standpoint, hands down you'd have to say Ben. But Rivers might be the most talented, albeit stuck in an organization that clearly has management issues with players that affect team chemistry and continuity. Manning? I'm writing off last year's championship as a one off. I don't see him carrying a team on his back. Ever.
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

What, no JP Losman? :eek:

Same here. I liked Roethlisberger the best coming out of college. Eli sucks. I mean, he's an average, or decent NFL QB, but he's so overhyped being a Manning.
  11. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Ben pretty easily. The other 2 are good but neither pose the kind of problems Ben would to a defense and neither have proven to be as clutch. Just watch the last drive last night. They had 1st and 20 on their own 10, Cardinals had him for a sack it seemed, that would have likely been the game. Next thing you know the Steelers have the lead again.
  12. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +542 / 6 / -0

IMO, the really amazing thing about that draft class is that exactly 3 of the QBs turned out to be good and those were the 3 taken in the top 11 picks. That's incredible draft accuracy -- compare to 2002, when the first-round QBs were David Carr, Joey Harrington and Patrick Ramsey.
  13. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +435 / 5 / -1

Why?!? Because Big Ben has the best defense? Did you watch Rivers this year? Without Rivers the Chargers might have won 3 or 4 games. He had to carry that team this year because it was so bad on defense and the running game at least at times. The Chargers were second to N'Orleans in points scored and 16th in total points allowed. The Steelers were 20th in points scored and 1st in points allowed. I don't think Roethlisberger would have made the playoffs if he was leading the Chargers this year.

I take nothing away from Ben. He is one of the best in the league. But Rivers is actually approaching one step below Brady and Manning status. Roethlisberger benefitted this year from having the best defense in the league.

I'd take Rivers over Roethlisberger right now, but I would take Roethlisberger and his defense over Rivers and the Chargers defense in a heartbeat.
  14. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +435 / 5 / -1

I disagree with that. Rivers threw for 34 TDs this season and had the second highest scoring offense in the league this year. Rivers posed his own kind of problems for defenses.

Roethlisberger is definitely dangerous if you let him get out of the pocket, but teams have shown that if you can keep him in the pocket (like the Pats did in 2007) that he can be pretty ordinary. Roethlisberger had a drive like Brady has had in the past and he is great QB to have if you need a come from behind or game winning drive late in the fourth quarter and overtime, but there are more to a QB than just that.
  15. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Rivers is the best passer of the 3. Roethlisberger may be the most complete. Roethlisberger brings a ton of value in that they can have one of the worst Olines in the league, and not have their QB get sacked 60 times.

Eli is...well..just Eli.
  16. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

as someone else already said, rivers IS the most talented out that group, but when u have a defense like PIT's, then ur bound to suceed, and that is why ben is the most successul

best QB? i go w/ most talented and go w/ rivers
    QB drafted in 2004 who was placed in the BEST situation to succeed? thats Ben
  17. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Worthlessburger is the beneficiary of a great defense - All three are good QB's.
  18. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Agree, but Worthlessburger does have a seemingly uncanny ability to pull magic out of his arse frequently.
  19. Buchanty

Buchanty Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Someone seriously voted for Eli? He is an average QB who was lionized for an SB that was mostly won by the Giant's defense. After a good start to the season floating on the confidence and hubris of his MVP status he returned to his bambi-in-the-headlights persona for December and an early exit from the playoffs. Roethlisburger and Rivers are worthy of being considered in the top 10 (or even top 5) current QB's - Eli is definitely middle of the pack and more towards the tail end (hell I'd even take Pennington or Collins over Eli).
  20. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +736 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

Rivers is the best quarterback.

Ben is on the best team.

Eli does the best "Peyton Manning pout face" imitation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.