Welcome to PatsFans.com

Best Patriots Team Ever?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Rex Ryan's Gut, Jul 18, 2010.

?

Best Patriots Team Ever?

1. 2001

3.8%
  2. 2003

2.5%
  3. 2004

52.5%
  4. 2007

41.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex Ryan's Gut

Rex Ryan's Gut Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

ESPN had polls on their website a couple weeks ago in which they asked what team was the best in each franchise's history.

Obviously for the Patriots, the choices were the SB winning '01, '03, and '04 teams and the 18-1 team from 2007.

What do you think was the best Pats team of all time?
  2. Rex Ryan's Gut

Rex Ryan's Gut Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It has to be the '07 team to me. They were the best team of my lifetime. Just happened to meet a ferocious Giants defense with a great game plan.

Can they still be considered the best to you even though they didn't win the big one?
  3. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Offensively, it was the best of all time. But their defense was weak and their flaws were masked by the offense getting big leads early. They were the best in the regular season but obviously couldn't seal the deal.

It's tough because no team was able to throw on 2003's defense until the break down late in the super bowl. They also had a pretty good offense.

I used to think 2003's squad was the best, but know I'm leaning toward 2004's team because they had the most balance on both sides of the ball. In addition, they had a dominating ground game and Corey Dillon would've easily won the rushing title had he played all 16 games of the regular season.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +93 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

For me, it's tough. I'm very tempted to say 2007 because, if not for a miracle helmet catch, they would be considered the greatest team of all time. However, I'm going to go with the 2004 team. Great defense (in spite of a HORRIBLE injury bug to the secondary) and very balanced and underrated offense. That offense wasn't overwhelming, but they had a good amount of weapons. Patten, Branch, Givens, Troy Brown, Fauria, Faulk, an outstanding running game led by Corey Dillon, and everything was overseen by Brady. I would put that 2004 team up against that 2007 team any day of the week and expect a great game... one that the 2004 team would be VERY capable of winning.
  5. Crazy Patriot Guy

Crazy Patriot Guy Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah I agree with you.

If Tyree doesn't make that insane catch, chances are the Pats win and go down as the best team in NFL history.

One play shouldn't take a team from best in league history all the way to not even the best in franchise history.
  6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

I had to say 04... by then most of the scrubs were gone, and the running game was clicking. It wasn't the fireworks show that 07 was, but 07 was the zenith of talent, records, and near-perfection. There was just no ring.

One more stop, one more call we needed (in the grasp for example,) one more lots of things, and it's 07 hands down. But it didn't happen... so now 07 is the team I couldn't miss one play of while they were playing, and I can't bring myself to WATCH one play of now.
  7. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

and a fluke helmet catch had nothing to do with that one... :eek:
  8. Rex Ryan's Gut

Rex Ryan's Gut Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Of course it did. Nothing you quoted from me was false.

It took the perfect storm for that team to lose.
  9. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +93 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

Yep. 2007 really couldn't have gone up against a worse opponent in the Super Bowl. They had a great running game and a good short yardage offense to move the chains and keep our offense off of the field and their defense matched up very well with our offense in that they could create pressure with their front four (even more so after Stephen Neal left the game) and drop the rest into coverage. It killed our screen game and our passing game as a whole. It was really our defense which kept us in that game. Oh well. If only...
  10. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

For me it was the 07 team. Offense was like nothing i have ever seen before. Even thought their D wasn't steller, their O made up for it..just fell short in the SB. 2001 is second
  11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +93 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

I don't understand why the 2007 defense gets so much flak. They were older, sure, but they were still very effective. Like I said before, they were the only reason we were in Super Bowl XLII. The offense sure wasn't getting it done throughout most of the game.
  12. Frezo

Frezo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

13. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

This :rocker:

But I think 2004.
  14. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Ask Bill Russell.
  15. JerseyPatriot76

JerseyPatriot76 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The 2007 Pats were awe inspiring on offense, it was still the most incredible season I have ever followed as a fan of any sport. The problem with that season was that I was exhausted by the time we got to the Super Bowl. You hung on to every play during the legendary run, you couldn't take a week off as a player or a fan. I think if the Pats had won it all in 2007, I would have passed out as a way of celebrating.

But, if you told me that I had to put my house on the line, I would put it on the 2004 team. That team just gave me that feeling that they were not going to lose. They played two of the most dominant playoff games in team history. They carved up the Colts and then sought revenge and got it by embarrassing the Steelers at home. They were not letting the Eagles stand in the way of the dynasty. You just knew it in your gut.

The 07 Pats really did not have a great playoff game. Brady was fantastic against Jacksonville, but the defense was not great. He was far from great against the Chargers and the Pats survived, and then the Giants didn't let him breathe, but he still got this team in a position to win it all late in the 4th.

But, I'm in agreement with many others, I'd like the 2010 team to top this list.
  16. thechris

thechris Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

2007 Patriots

#1 scoring offense
    #4 scoring defense (and it was very close to being #2 if not for a late Giants score in Week 17)

18 game win streak only ended by a play that happens once in a lifetime.

They were unstoppable. A machine. And they had to deal with a media circus every single week.
  17. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

lol...........
  18. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

#51 Jersey

2004. That team was simply divine. They were ferocious and made competent opposing QB's look like regular idiots.

I don't care how good 2007 was or the fluke plays, Neal injury and Brady's ankle that culminated in the Superbowl loss. They didn't get the job done.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  19. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

the 2007 team just beat down everyone they faced because they had more talent then any other team. thats why i say 2001 that team had more JAGS and vets on it then any other SB team but they had more heart.

and lets not forget that it's only because of the 2001 pats that both the AFC and NFC now come out as a team at every super bowl.
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Gotta go with '01 only because the first time was the best time and no matter how many points they score, or prevent from scoring nothing can compare to that moment.
  21. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0

I'd vote the 2011 or 2012 Team. But I also think the 2010 Team would be in the Top Five. :eek:
  22. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

Yeah, but the fluke helmet catch only mattered because of what the Giants had done the rest of the game.
  23. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

2004 for me. 2007 is overall more talented but 2004 had the superior run game and defense. Coaching edge goes to 2004, those are 3 of the most important aspects when it comes down to January. And most of all, they played their best when it did matter. The gauntlet they faced in the playoffs was one of the toughest of all time. 12-4 (13-3?) Colts, 15-1 Steelers, 14-2 Eagles and only the Eagles really even came close to beating us. This is with injuries to Ty Law, Richard Seymour for the AFC playoffs, and several others. In 2007 we had the mediocre Jags, Chargers who were banged up beyond belief, a 10-6 wild card team and still looked beatable all 3 games.
  24. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +93 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

This was one of the main factors that went into my decision as well. In 2007, we were hanging on for dear life in the playoffs. In 2004, we were playing out best at that time of year and beating everyone's ass that stood in our way.
  25. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I went with 07 IMO it is the best team ever in football and that obviously makes it the best in our franchise. They screwed up sealing the deal the other teams had their mistakes in the regular season when it wasnt as costly.

As a side note: I have always thought the 04 team was better than the 03 team but I think the 03 team would have matched up better vs 07 as the secondary was better.
  26. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2004. Great team all around. Passing, rushing, defense, etc....they had it all. Even when the corners were dropping like flies they still played top notch D. They destroyed the #1 offense and #1 defense on the way to beating the NFC's best team of the decade at that point in the SB.
  27. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

Best Team Ever: 2004
    Best Defense Ever: 2003
    Best Offense Ever: 2007

The 2004 team was the most complete team of the Patriots history. The 2003 defense was fantastic and probably underrated in league history, but the offense was average at best. The 2007 was a historic offense, but the defense went along for the ride and looked better than it was because opposing offenses became so one dimensional trying to keep up with the Pats' offense.
  28. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

The 2007 team did not get the job done against a weak NY Giants SB opponent. The Giants were the weakest Super Bowl opponents the NE Patriots have ever played.

The 2007 Pats lost to a mediocrity in the NY Giants. No doubt the 2007 Giants get spanked in the NFC Championship if they were to play the 2001 Rams, the 2003 Panthers or the 2004 Eagles. By the same reasoning what do we think the 1985 Bears or the 1996 Packers would have done to Eli et al?

The Patriots offensive line and running backs lost the 2007 SB by not protecting Brady and not blocking in the running game to keep those blitzers honest. That game showed how critically important a punishing ground attack is and how important Antowain Smith and Cory Dillon & their complementary backs were.

The 2003-2004 winning streak with a punishing defense, smash-mouth running attack to go with Brady's accuracy and decision-making made those better teams than the less-complete 2007 team.

Which of these teams was best? The 2007 Patriots, the 1985 Patriots or the 1996 Patriots? Gotta love that 1996 team with the Tuna in charge and the '85 team with that defense and running game was better than the 2007 Giants.
  29. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

2007 had its version he just got hurt long before the playoffs. Sammy Morris.....IMO he could have done more to change the fate of that game as much as anyone.

Is there really any question? the 2007 team lost the SB and is still in the discussion with 3 teams that made up a dynasty I don't think you can put the 85 or 96 teams anywhere close to that.
  30. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

I know I know...the giants D was great that game. But I really think it had a lot more to do with the pats oline being gassed by the 19th game of the season. and you throw the stephen neal injury on top of that then you see why the giants D was so "great." In fact I don't think the Giants D looked that terrific against Dallas or Green Bay in the playoffs that year. To prove my point, that Giants D did not do much the following year or in 2009, so IMO it was overrated.

We def got unlucky playing the Giants since they had already seen us that year. Green Bay would have been awesome but Favre did what he does best in an NFC Championship game and from there it was over.

Giants remain the only team in NFL history to win 2 fluke super bowls.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.