PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best one-year wonder in Patriots history

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm serious. James *completely* lost it in 1986. He went from stellar to awful in one year and remember, he was young. Hannah, while still a good guard in 1985, wasn't the all pro he was years prior. It's one thing for a young RB to go from excellent to mediocre due to losing a lineman, but from excellent to horrible? That's a stretch.

Regards,
Chris

Well, I think you might talk with some old timers about how devastating a run blocker Hannah was.

He was the best ever at run blocking and I believe no one will contradict that.

He was voted best OL ever by Sports Illustrated and that is disputable.

Best run blocker? I don't think there's an argument.

But just look at there Patriots run games while he was there and realize they didn't have one outstanding back, really.

Everyone who ran behind Hannah looked like an All Pro.

Plus, didn't James have knee issues?

Not to be boring, but a little Hannah story.

I, obviously, (user name), watched a lot of Pats games in that era. I don't watch Olinemen, so I can't judge them.

The TV was running a special on Hannah, which was unusual for that time (3 networks).

I eagerly awaited because I wondered what the big fuss about Hannah was.

Isolating on him, his play was amazing. So much so I can remember it to this day.

Hannah was pulling to the right on some sort of power sweep. There was an outside defender and another inside one drifting towards him.

The RB is drifting right waiting for a cutback or outside lane.

Hannah is drifting to the right and you wonder which defender he'll take.

The inside defender keeps pursuing and Hannah gives a head faint to the outside guy making him commit in a little. Then he turns, squares, puts both elbows up and pancakes both guys at once! I almost s**t!

The running back had started to cut and almost fell down he was so shocked to see ten yards of nothing.

Remember, the Patriots weren't exactly a glamour team back the. Hannah got his rep for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back