PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best offseason aquisition=Dean Pees

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
I hope this attacking blitz happy defense remains into the regualr season. His presence on the sideline just oozes more confidence then mangini. Last year it seemed as if Mangini was afraid to apply pressure because he was afraid of getting burnt (which they got anyways). Pees looks like he wants to kill the qb everytime. Though its preseaon, the D looks closer to 2003-2004 then it does 2005.

hes blitzed a lot..i like it. seemed like last year Mangini was soft in begining. just hope Peas isnt the next 1 out

I agree I think Pees will be a much better DC than Mangini. Ofcourse I love the blitz as much as NEM loves the pass.

Last edited:
Ya know.Im ashamed to say that this situation never crossed my mind.We Do blitz quite a bit more under Pees.Now,If Im correct.This guy has been on the staff for quite some time and this was a promotion for him right?

Just before Sanders' blitz late in the 4th quarter:

peesrf5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, if the team stays healthy, Pees will have better players to work with. All three units will be better than last year's versions. Health is the key thing. But it is with all teams.

I was always a big fan of the 85 Bears defense, and the way the Pats attacked McNabb early in the Super Bowl a few years back reminded me of that, the sacks didn't come as often once we lost Wilson in our secondary. We certainly have the talent to blitz the hell out of teams, I think injuries were a major problem in that area last year. If you notice, once Bruschi & Seymour came back, and we solidified our secondary a little bit last year, that's when we blitzed more, and our defense became less predictable, and we put more pressure on the QB. Hell I think even Hobbs had a sack last year.

Or LB's are all pretty good rushers, Vrabel, Bruschi, Colvin & Seau are all pretty good QB rushers, and then you add possibly the best young D-Line in football. Pees has to be drooling at the thought of what he can do with a HEALTHY defense. Pees also has been a good head coach in college, so he has that leadership mentality.

I agree. I like his personality on the sidelines. He looks like a man in charge, not afraid to give instant (loud) feedback to his players. I see this as a major upgrade over the cerebral but timid personality of mangini. Peas as a fire breather offsets the more withdrawn Belichick and McDaniels.

betterthanthealternative said:
Also, if the team stays healthy, Pees will have better players to work with. All three units will be better than last year's versions. Health is the key thing. But it is with all teams.

This factor inhibits a direct comparison between Pees and Mangini. Mangini was lucky he could field 11 guys on defense.

But he's gone so screw him!:D

Was I the only one who read the Wilfork story earlier this week--about Belichick persuading him to step back from his over-aggressive approach--and thought: "it took the head coach to convince him to change?" Mangini wasn't persuasive? (Or Pepper for that matter?)

Best offseason acquisition?

Dean Pees was on the New England Patriots coaching staff last season.

Dean Pees = Best offseason promotion

patchick said:
Was I the only one who read the Wilfork story earlier this week--about Belichick persuading him to step back from his over-aggressive approach--and thought: "it took the head coach to convince him to change?" Mangini wasn't persuasive? (Or Pepper for that matter?)
They're still in training.

Last edited:
I agree Pees is great. Last year, all you heard was "they have a new DC, and lost their OC, so we need to see what kind of team they are." Notice how you don't hear that talk so much this year, with a new DC and a "new" OC? Pees is a star, and luckily, he's an old star who is less likely to flee to another job offer than a 30-something DC is.

RayClay said:
This factor inhibits a direct comparison between Pees and Mangini. Mangini was lucky he could field 11 guys on defense.

But he's gone so screw him!:D

Exactly, Pees is good, but let's not forget that Eric was working with a huge whole in the middle of his defense.

Ceresco said:
I agree I think Pees will be a much better DC than Mangini.

As I've said often before, promoting Pees - the former LB coach - from within made perfect sense - especially as we all know a BB defense begins and ends with the LBs

I have a feeling that Pees was chomping at the bit last year when Mangini wanted to go conservative following the injuries in the secondary ( I understand Mangini's logic but he was wrong)

Mangini should send a nice Christmas present to Pees because without his help last year, Mangini doesn't have the Jets job

Mangini also had Duane Starkes and they had a new repalcement for Rodney for many weeks. It seemed to come together when Seymour and Bruchi returned and Hawkins solidified the Safety position. So I can't blame MAngini for being tenative.

All you had to see was how fast they promoted him when Mangini got the Jets job. Wasn't it like the same day (or even hour LOL) of Mangin's Jets announcemant.

You can make alot of excuses for Mangini's performance last year. You could make the same excuses for many coaches with sub-par units around the NFL. The injuries last year were no worse than in '03. Bottom line is, when the veteran leadership went down, the ship foundered; it was rudderless. Mangini did not lead this team like Romeo had in previous years, and that was reflected on the field in rotten performance. I welcomed his departure, and am ecstatic Peas has replaced him. There is only one Belichick; he is unique. Just because a guy mimicks him, down to his wardrobe and speech patterns, does not a BB make. I think we've foisted a cheap imitation on the jets.

ATippett56 said:
Best offseason acquisition?

Dean Pees was on the New England Patriots coaching staff last season.

Dean Pees = Best offseason promotion

That was what my first reaction to the title of this thread too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down