PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best LB corps in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecore762

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I have to say our Linebackers are the best in the NFL at this point, I am not sure if anyone else has better linebackers than us.
Hightower, Mayo, Collins, these guys do it all!

I might take the corps of (Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest, Phifer, and Ted Johnson) over this group just for the depth but Collins and Hightower might be the best tandem in the league right now.

Isn't is sweet that we jumped ahead of Ratbird to pick High.....
The biggest advantage is not to hear the Murder Ray and Hightower comparison for a decade

I'm not sure Mayo is playing that way at the moment and if we're just talking about two linebackers then I think Carolina's pair are pretty damn good too. But yes, Collins and Hightower can't be bettered currently.

The nice thing is that while they are both good, they are elite at different things which makes them a good combo.

I might take the corps of (Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest, Phifer, and Ted Johnson) over this group just for the depth but Collins and Hightower might be the best tandem in the league right now.
Thomas Davis and Luke Kuechly are a pretty darn good tandem. Mind you, I do believe Mayo, Hightower and Collins are the best unit in the game.

Seattle's and Carolina's aren't too shabby. But I would take ours any day.

The nice thing is that while they are both good, they are elite at different things which makes them a good combo.
Is there an LB responsibility at which Collins isn't elite? He's awesome at stopping the run, coverage and rushing the passer. He may not overpower blockers quite the way that Hightower does, but his combination of athleticism, strength and length make it really hard for blockers to get leverage on him.

Yes.

Add Rosey C in o4 and it was the deepest, most talented unit in NFL History.

There are rumors that Mayo has lost a step. Was reading that a reputable (Curran??) local scribe did notice the glaring difference between Hi tracking route runners and Mayo.

Need to keep an eye on Freeney and Bostic's snaps. IMO are more rangy and faster than Mayo

Is there an LB responsibility at which Collins isn't elite? He's awesome at stopping the run, coverage and rushing the passer. He may not overpower blockers quite the way that Hightower does, but his combination of athleticism, strength and length make it really hard for blockers to get leverage on him.
IMO its Collins and Kuechly.

When you have several NFL players that play with him and for other teams repeatedly say that Collins is a "freak" or "not human" thats pretty amazing.

This Team still needs an interior DT to step up have not seen anything from Easley! Imagine a interior DT who could bring Heat on his own would work wonders for an already Great scheme. That said how is Hightower? Wow has he proved me wrong what a fine player he has turned out to be.

You can't possibly compare the LB's from 2001-2008 or so to now. Back then we'd have 5 LB's getting regular snaps and 9 on the roster most years. Today we are lucky to get 2 with regular snaps and of the 5 or 6 guys we have on the roster, at least 2 are mostly ST's players.

The game is totally different. All power to the DB's days and LB's are becoming more like they were back when I played (6'2 220) only infinitely faster. Now eventually the pendulum will swing back to more running game and LB's will make a resurgence, but not for the near future
'

I think Collins and Kueckly are the best LB's in the league. And Hightower not too far behind them.

I am not sure Collins and Hightower take a back seat to any other LB duo in the league. I certainly wouldn't want to see them exchanged for any other duo.

Man I hope Hightower is OK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back