PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best Free Agent signing since 2000? (BB Era)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who is the #1 Best FA Signing in the BB Era (Since 2000)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Who of the following has been the #1 BEST Free Agent Signing in the past 8 years of all selections provided? (BB Era)

I select Wes Welker - I absolutely LOVE the guy as a player and takes over Troy Brown's position perfectly for years to come - Randy had been taken out of games as a non factor,Wes Rarily was a non factor in ANY game in 2007

Last edited:
Moss/Welker were acquired through trades actually.

Just before someone else points out eventually.

Still was classified as a free agent after checking with a few internet sites regarding this...

Vrabel has the rings.

Vrabel has the rings.

Vrabel's presence helped lead to three Super Bowl rings and kept the team in contention in '05 and '06. When you also factor in that he was a diamond in the rough and was signed to a cheap contract I think it sets him away as a tremendously valuable free agent signing, and that's what you want out of free agency: value.

Welker was a RFA but technically you are correct; we gave up a 2nd and a 7th for him.

Moss was originally acquired in a trade. However, he was a free agent when he was re-acquired today, so that is a free agent signing to me.

I’m not one to care really.

But I figured someone would eventually bring up – so got it out of the way with the first response.

Who of the following has been the #1 BEST Free Agent Signing in the past 8 years of all selections provided? (BB Era)

I select Wes Welker - I absolutely LOVE the guy as a player and takes over Troy Brown's position perfectly for years to come - Randy had been taken out of games as a non factor,Wes Rarily was a non factor in ANY game in 2007

How about UDRFA Stephen Neal? Mike Vrabel is a good choice too (the anti-Montey Beisel). Rodney has to rank up there, above Colvin. Thomas is still wait and see after only 1 year. Lonnie Paxton, Russ Hochstein and Larry Izzo also deserve honorable mention.

I chose Mike Vrabel.

How about UDRFA Stephen Neal? Mike Vrabel is a good choice too (the anti-Montey Beisel). Rodney has to rank up there, above Colvin. Thomas is still wait and see after only 1 year. Lonnie Paxton, Russ Hochstein and Larry Izzo also deserve honorable mention.

Forgot to mention Junior too, especially if he comes back this year.

I am not sure anyone else is close when you factor everything in. He was not a known comodity and than he came here and has gotten better and better while winning 3 SB. Oh yeah he has been here longer than any other BB free agent. He is a perfect fit for the team, a team captain, and I dont see him going anywhere anytime soon. Everyone else has been great but Vrabel has been the best FA.

for me it was a tossup between rodney and vrabel (i voted for rodney) because they helped deliver championships. welker and moss were acquired in trades, but even if they were FA's, my vote still would have gone to the guys with the bling...

Last edited:
i voted rodney, but mike is a close second.

Here is the list, in chronological order of the note worthy signings since 2000:

Joe Andruzzi 2000
Bobby Hamilton 2000
Otis smith 2000
Grant Williams 2000
Larry Izzo 2001
David Patten 2001
Roman Phifer 2001
Antowain Smith 2001
Mike Vrabel 2001
Ken Walter 2001
Christian Fauria 2002
Rosevelt Colvin 2003
Rodney Harrison 2003
Tyrone Poole 2003
Don Davis 2003
Russ Hochstein 2003
Josh Miller 2004
Keith Tralyor 2004
Doug Flutie 2005
Tim Dwight 2005
Reche Caldwell 2006
Jabar Gaffney 2006
Junior Seau 2006
Tory James 2007
Sammy Morris 2007
Donte Stallworth 2007
Adalius Thomas 2007
Kelley Washington 2007
Randy Moss 2008

#1 - Mike Vrabel

Came to the Pats before hitting his prime and has been reliable ever since. He has produced both on the offense and the defense, but hasn't been the leader with Bruschi holding down the fort.

#2 - Rodney Harrison

Personally, I think he had his best years before coming to the Pats. He has provided experience and leadership to the secondary and his absences proves his value to the secondary. Without him, the secondary seemed vunerable up until this year when he had to sit out the first four games. But he hasn't been healthy and his reliability isn't to the level of Vrabel.

#3 - Randy Moss

Would be first if we took into account last season, but last year he wasn't a free agent signing. Going into 2008, he has to be the biggest and best signing for what he will allow the offense to continue doing. If he only has half the production he did last year, he will hold down this spot.

Honorable mention:

Izzo - A mainstay on special teams.

Andruzzi - May not had been a pro-bowler, but he was solid on the line.

Bobby Hamilton/Keith Traylor - Both were useful in stopping the run and making the defense capable. Traylor wasn't around long, but he needed to replace Washington after he signed with Raiders.

Caldwell - Great in year he was around, but he had serious issues in the playoffs.

Gaffney - Was big in the 2006 playoffs and then last year.

Gotta go with Vrabel, an unheralded Pitt player, who has become an all pro, smart, versatile and a leader off and on the field.

I can certainly understand the Vrabel votes, but I voted for Rodney. He as much as anyone was responsible for the 2003 and 2004 SBs. 2003 stepped in for Lawyer. 2004 held a decimated secondary together, should have been MVP of the Super Bowl and maybe the regular season.

Not taking anything away from 50, and I almost voted for him.

Vrabel at the moment, Moss/Thomas/Welker could make a run over the next couple of years.

I can certainly understand the Vrabel votes, but I voted for Rodney. He as much as anyone was responsible for the 2003 and 2004 SBs. 2003 stepped in for Lawyer. 2004 held a decimated secondary together, should have been MVP of the Super Bowl and maybe the regular season.

Not taking anything away from 50, and I almost voted for him.

Big, big "ditto" on that PJ. :agree:

Toss up between Vrabel and Harrison. Vrabel was a steal for what we we got him for and has been a significant contributor since he has been here. Harrison made a huge difference in our running game and was a major factor in our two last Super Bowl wins.

Corey Dillon. I know his last two years here weren't great but his game in '04 was instumental in the Pats last SB victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes