Welcome to PatsFans.com

Best Chowder I ever had...

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Dino 6 Rings, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Dino 6 Rings

Dino 6 Rings Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Few years a go, me and the wife paid a visit to the Boston area. We found the people of Boston to be great and friendly. It was in the fall, and we went to Fenway to see the park, and I remember the season was over, for the Sox anyway at that time and as we walked around the park, we found a guy sitting in a chair by a door and we told him we were from out of town and asked to see the field. He looked as us and said, follow me, and he lead us right to the stands behind home plate, "You got 5 minutes, take your pictures" and we took pictures of the Monster and the field and were just loving the tradition. I'm not a baseball fan, but I love sports and tradition.

Afterwards, we walked out and started getting the bug for some Clam Chowder, being in Boston, how could we not get some. So we stopped a lady on the street at random and asked her for the best Chowder in town, She started to tell us of a couple restaurants in the area, then we prodded her and said, "When you want the best Clam Chowder where do you go." Without hesitation she said "Kelly's in Revere"

So we got in the car, and hit the road and found it, eventually after stopping and asking about 10 people for directions. And let me say...

Kelly's

Best Chowder I've ever had.

2. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Thanks for sharing , i live 5 minutes from Kellys,the one on revere beach boulevard .I think they have another one in saugus , route1.

Here is another good place ,if you like seafood (to take home,it's small place) , it's called belle-island at the border east boston/winthrop (rte 145).

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  3. Dino 6 Rings

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Belle-island, winthrop, got it. Me and wife plan on visiting that way again some day, we talk about Kelly's all the time. That entire area is such a great piece of America. Although, the traffic is almost as bad as Jersey's. Geesh.

4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Kelly's is definitely famous around here. They're mostly known for their roast beef. I've driven by the original in Revere and the one in Saugus but, I've never bothered to stop in.

5. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

6. DamnYankee57

DamnYankee57 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Some of you in the New England area may have fond memories of the Rocky Point Park Shore Dinner. My memory fades as I grow older as to just how good the chowder was there. But the clam cakes were fantastic.

Alas, that's all it is now, just a memory.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  7. Dino 6 Rings

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So I'm in a restaurant in Arkansas, and the waitress comes up to us and right away, I know, she's from the Boston area. Me and my pop (visiting from Jersey) start to get on her about her accent, then tell her where we are from and she gets all happy to find some of "my people" in North West Arkansas. She says she's from "Pibody" which I know is spelt Peabody but don't say it that way, and I say to her, "So if I say to you the best Clam Chowder is at Kelly's in Revere you'd say?" She nearly fainted. Anyway, she was of coarse a Pats fan, we gave her a little ribbing about that (Pop being an Old School Cheifs fan) and she had a great time serving us and stopped by often to chat. My Pop drove a truck up through Mass for about 10 years. She's down here trying to get a job with Walmart. We tipped her very well and it was nice talking with a northeasterner again.

Small world folks.

8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,062 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I remember Rocky Point bragged the world's best chowder.

I don't know but I know this much ... the clams swan right out of the pot.

A little hole in the wall place called Champlins in Galilee ... back in the day was the best. George's of Galilee got all the tourists and the locals sat on a milk crate with a wooden wire spool table to eat theirs at Champlins.

9. dalero

dalero PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -2

I never understood why they had NY style (red) when everyone knows RI style chowder is the clear.

10. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

"Let's go to Kelly's."

"We're not going to Kelly's just because you like the take out girl. It's 15 minutes out of our way."

"What the fuck are we gonna do we can't spare 15 minutes?"

I don't even like Roast beef that much but Kelly's is amazing.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  11. Zeke_Mowatt

Zeke_Mowatt Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Best I ever had was at No Names on the wharf, we as a family used to go there when I was young and we'd go to the aquarium. I had a leg up, my pop was a salesman with an expense account covering Boston, so he knew every single amazing place to eat in Boston, but the clam and fish chowders were so good I can still remember the way they taste (and it still makes my mouth water thinking about it).

12. Patti37

Patti37 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I remember going to Kelly's on Revere Beach as a kid. Since they expanded to Saugus, Danvers and on of the Jordan Furniture stores the quality of the food has gone down.

13. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

that was the best line in "Good Will Hunting"!

on the flip side of roast beef places, the worst i ever had was Rileys Roast Beef in Allston. Worst meal EVER was one night they had a $2.99 Chicken dinner. the chicken was green andthe mashed potatoes were green. And it wasnt St Patricks Day. I guess you get what you pay for.

this gives me and idea for another nostalga thread...

14. Little_Richard

Little_Richard Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I cant remember the name of the place but there was a great restaurant right on the dock at Hyannis Harbor. Best clam chowder I ever had.

Edit: I think this was it.
    Baxters

http://www.baxterscapecod.com/

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  15. Little_Richard

Little_Richard Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Is that kinda like yellow snow?

16. Run DMC

Run DMC In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -3

#24 Jersey

Atlantic fish co.- Copley
    Best lobster roll on earth-Kelly's on Severe Douche, I mean, Revere Beach.:p

17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,062 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Speaking of chowder ... a few times I had the chowderthat was neither red or white ... a nice change of pace ... :eat2:

18. jgpatriot

jgpatriot Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not necessarily, the best chowder but definitely the best bread bowl. The Thirsty Whale in Bah Harbah aka Bar Harbor, ME. Restaurants usually tossed the middle piece of the bread bowl. At the Thirsty Whale, they bake the middle piece and load it up with butter and garlic.

19. Char2na

Char2na Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Agreed. Sooo good. Going to Bah Haba this weekend. Def gonna swing by.

20. Char2na

Char2na Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Rhode Island chowder hits the spot those times your lookin to stay on the same belt loop.