PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best Backfields in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take Pitt, and Atlanta before i would take the giants. #2? ya kiddin me? Jacobs is good when healthy, and nobody will ever convince me that little Manning is any good. Having a SB ring does not mean you're suddenly a good QB.

I would take Pitt, and Atlanta before i would take the giants. #2? ya kiddin me? Jacobs is good when healthy, and nobody will ever convince me that little Manning is any good. Having a SB ring does not mean you're suddenly a good QB.
Trent Dilfer school of Quarterbacking?

Any analysis of the Pat's backfield that does not include Faulk, is worthless.

I agree, having the manning name and being a #1 pick puts this guy on a pedestal, but without his 2 best receivers he won't be the same anymore. The criticism will run rampant this year in NY.

As much as I hate to admit it, Indy at #10 seems low.. the top 4 or 5 are pretty much interchangeable.. Rivers/Tomlinson/Sproles is pretty much equal to Brady/Maroney/Taylor/Morris/FAULK..

Last edited:
What an idiotic ranking.

I can't think of one single NFL backfield that I would take over Brady / Maroney / Taylor / Faulk / Morris.

For the simple reason that it is Tom ****ing Brady we're talking about.

As much as I hate to admit it, Indy at #10 seems low....
Yeah, how is Cutler/Forte better than Peyton/Addai?

Who would you rather face in a must-win week 17 game?

Dallas ahead of NE and Philly? That's crazy. And Indy now with Donald Brown, the Patrick Chung of RBs, is way too low.

In most comparisons of backfields, they include the flanker, who is really considered to be the other halfback. That changes things a mite. Rivers, LT and Vincent? Chuckle, Chuckle.

Manning, Jacobs ,and ??? More Chuckles.

Brady, Taylor/Maroney/Faulk, and Moss/Galloway. Near GOATish... :eek:

Yeah, how is Cutler/Forte better than Peyton/Addai?

Who would you rather face in a must-win week 17 game?

Everyone comes from somewhere. As do their perceptions. Given some of his bizarre analysis and inconsistent methidology (not to mention difficulty counting/tracking rostered backfields and simply mis spelling recently well known names (CasseLL and Josh DANIELS for example) I googled him. Mullin has been a Bears beat reporter for a long time...

Although he has admitted in the past that the 53rd player on their roster knows more about football than he ever will. So at least he's honest.

Indeed! Faulk was a beast last year. Also I wouldn't rank the Giants that high. They're good, but not THAT good.

This ranking is just ******ed.

Would you rather have: Brady + average offense, or the Chargers (Rivers, LdT, Sproles, etc)?

Let's see.... Brady has done more with average players than the Chargers have ever done. 2001 Super Bowl? Remember the Chargers losing to a Patriots team with (I think) Reche Caldwell as their lead receiver?

The fact of the matter is that Brady is just so much better than anyone (except Peyton) that you can't compensate for a worse QB with a better RB. Brady is so good that Brady (or P. Manning) + Average Talent is better than any other QB with the best talent in the league.

Last edited:

I'm not big on manning, but pittsburgh's running game is terrible.

Brady is so good that Brady (or P. Manning) + Average Talent is better than any other QB with the best talent in the league.

I don't remember the 2005-6 offense being all that good.

Since when is Randy Moss and Wes Welker "average talent".Randy may be the best who has ever played the position.

I think Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and Carolina could be ranked higher if everyone's healthy. The wild card is Arizona. But, then I thought this ranking was for just each team's running back depth.

I agree with you on Gomer Manning.......If it wasn't for the hail mary facemask catch and a ref choking on his whistle while Thomas, Warren, and Seymour had him firmly in the grasp while all three were being HELD by Gint O-lineman.........He'd still be talked about as a failure..........

I don't understand this person's analysis. He's ranking "backfields" yet in his Chargers analysis he adds that Shawne Merriman is the biggest addition of all? What does Shawne Merriman have to do with their backfield? I understand that a better defense means more opportunities for an offense. However, that is called a "team". The guy needs to stick with "backfields" and not focus on what a team has around them. With that said, how in the hell is San Diego rated #1? Rivers gets most of his stats when the game is already over (won or lost) and LT is on his last leg. In fact, I think that guy is done. However, Sproles is a fantastic compliment. If he is including QB's with RB's, it's a no brainer you take Brady even with his recent injury. Pretty lame article if you ask me.

If you're actually rating "backfields" (excluding QB's), my top 5 rankings would be:

1. Carolina - Williams had a breakout year and Jonathon Stewart showed he can be a lead back for any team. In fact, Stewart almost had 1,000 rushing with 10 Td's. As of right now, they are easily the best tandem in the NFL.

2. New England - I didn't rank them #1 so I don't sound like a homer but Taylor, Morris, Faulk, Maroney are probably the best quartet in the NFL. Taylor and Morris can pound it, Faulk will make clutch play after clutch play and Maroney can break the big one. The Pats pretty much have it all.

3. Dallas - Barber, Jones and Choice look like a nice trio for years to come. Barber can pound it, Jones can break the big one at any time and Choice does a little bit of everything.

4. Atlanta - The number don't lie, they can pound the rock with Turner and Norwood. In fact, Norwood should see more carries this season to because of his explosiveness and so the Falcons don't run Turner into the ground by the playoffs.

5. Giants - Would have been ranked #1 had the Giants kept Ward. The only team last year to have 2 1,000 yard rushers. However, they still have Bradshaw who can give you big plays.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes