PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best article from Reiss in quite a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patspsycho

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Need and opportunity line up for New England Patriots in this year's NFL draft - ESPN Boston

Reiss isn't known for prognostication because he tends to be too conservative, but in this piece, he really hits the nail on the head.

This is now the time or never, to go young, for once and all. This is the deepest draft I can ever remember (but I haven't been around as long as some of you have been). Next year's rookie cap (or the fear of, which is equally as effective) is flushing out the upperclassmen this year.

Why else is Patton signed if not to tutor young WR's? He has only one year at the veteran's minimum.

We have 4 picks in the first 52, in one of the richest draft ever. This is what we should be pissing in our pants over, not kicking tires at the junkyard.

Need and opportunity line up for New England Patriots in this year's NFL draft - ESPN Boston

Reiss isn't known for prognostication because he tends to be too conservative, but in this piece, he really hits the nail on the head.

This is now the time or never, to go young, for once and all. This is the deepest draft I can ever remember (but I haven't been around as long as some of you have been). Next year's rookie cap (or the fear of, which is equally as effective) is flushing out the upperclassmen this year.

Why else is Patton signed if not to tutor young WR's? He has only one year at the veteran's minimum.

We have 4 picks in the first 52, in one of the richest draft ever. This is what we should be pissing in our pants over, not kicking tires at the junkyard.

Thanks for the link, but before i read, is this really the year that's stacked that's deep that we've been waiting for? Seems like next year's always like that until we get there. OK, I'll take your word, let's read.:D

Thanks for the link, but before i read, is this really the year that's stacked that's deep that we've been waiting for? Seems like next year's always like that until we get there. OK, I'll take your word, let's read.:D

forget what i said....it was late

Last edited:

Attachments

• theperfectstorm_ohno.jpg
    theperfectstorm_ohno.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,845
Last edited:
Excellent article, and I couldn't agree more with Reiss, we have to hit a homerun with at least 2 of our first 4 picks this year. The other two better be for extra-bases as well. Sly old BB positioned himself perfectly for a lotta jr's jumping into the mix for an upcoming uncapped year.

'preciate the link.......:cool:

Took a quick jog over to draft central and it seems there's some possible 3-4 DE not Seymour but close types, which would be nice. One of those and a Pass rush OLB or convert (sign the beast) and I'd be happy.

I'd rather draft high low and acquire a few WRs than go for a real high pick, because i find the position in general unreliable and our most successful have not been our highest picks. We should have one #2 anyway.

Of course, if that's the pick, why be spooked, but the ghosts of Bethel and Chad scare me.

I wonder if BB would consider trading next years #I pick from Oakland this year for a one and a three to one of the teams at the bottom of the first rnd. I've read that next years group isn't going to be any where near this years. Just a thought

Last edited:
I wonder if BB would consider trading next years #I pick from Oakland this year for a one and a three to one of the teams at the bottom of the first rnd. I've read that next years group isn't going to be any where near this years. Just a thought

But there's always good players to be had in the top 10 every year, which the Raider pick has a good chance to be. Trading OUR 1st rounder next year might be more interesting.

It has a record number of underclassmen coming out this year. Why? Well as of right now the 2011 draft is the last event that will be held under the current CBA. After that is a lockout. If you're a underclassman who thinks they can get drafted this year and, at least make money for one year before a potential lockout, then definitly do it. It would suck to get drafted next year and then not have a season or a contract if you are a rookie.

Last edited:
But there's always good players to be had in the top 10 every year, which the Raider pick has a good chance to be. Trading OUR 1st rounder next year might be more interesting.

I completely agree, there will always be impact players when you have a top 10 pick, no matter how bad the draft as a whole is. Trading our own first rounder next year is a thought, but BB isnt really known to trade high picks, hes more known to add them. Since this draft is so deep I wouldnt expect BB to trade any of our picks, especially none of our 2nds.

Last edited:
This article is on point

Good article. There is plenty of talent available in this draft. I think it was Casserly who said that this is the deepest draft at all positions besides QB that he could remember since the year Marino came out.

I agree. You want extra 1st rounders next year. This year it's better to be in the 2/3 rounds. i would LOVE if we traded into the first round next year.

I completely agree, there will always be impact players when you have a top 10 pick, no matter how bad the draft as a whole is. Trading our own first rounder next year is a thought, but BB isnt really known to trade high picks, hes more known to add them. Since this draft is so deep I wouldnt expect BB to trade any of our picks, especially none of our 2nds.

Agreed with one exception. I can see them trading down with one of their 2nds for a later 2nd and maybe a 3rd (or 4th depending on the size of the drop). It all depends on who's available at their spots in the 2nd round, but that's a typical BB move in any year.

I can see BB trading one of the seconds for a third or fourth this year, and a first next year. There are going to be a lot of trades after the first round this year, because of the set-up. It will depend on how much of a value drop-off he sees between the second and third rounds. He also doesn't like to have a hole in his draft board, which he now has.

Yeah i thought of that, but per usual i thought of it as i hit "submit". If this turns out to be a top ten pick BB will trade down and turn it into multiple picks.

Agreed with one exception. I can see them trading down with one of their 2nds for a later 2nd and maybe a 3rd (or 4th depending on the size of the drop). It all depends on who's available at their spots in the 2nd round, but that's a typical BB move in any year.

Yeah I can agree with that. You are right about it being a typical BB move, he loves to move down a few picks if he knows he can still get the player that he wants

No matter how many time you guys post it, Patten was not signed as a coach, tudor or mentor. There are staff positions with those responsibilities. Patten was signed to compete for one of the 5-6 wide receiver positions, with the knowledge that at least one of our wide receivers is likely to start the season on the PUP list.

The patriots don't have staff positions for mentors, or Bruschi would have stayed on the team and perhaps Vrabel.

Reiss is spot on.

It is interesting to me that in Belichick's first year without Pioli, he had one of the best drafts since he arrived.

Reiss has excellent points, HOWEVER, what I've come to expect from the Patriots is to expect the unexpected.

IMO, we need help at OLB, G, WR, DL.

That being said, I could totally see us drafting a TE, more DBs, a QB, and STs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes