PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Besides a Pass rusher or 2; what do we need on Offense?

I don't like your timing although you are right about the relative strengths of the two drafts at WR. By waiting until 2011, we are counting on Tate next year then counting on the rookie in 2011. By drafting the WR in 2010 it gives us two young WR to compete in 2010 and, if we're lucky, they'll both be playing well in 2011 when Moss may be gone.

The timing, I think, is far better to draft a guy this year. If we can find the guy we like.

Depends what you'r looking for.

A future #1 WR isn't going to necessarily get a lot of time in 2010. And the prospects are much better for 2011. And we have way too many other priorities to go after a WR high in 2010.

We already have 3 young WRs who need to develop in Tate, Edelman and Stanbeck. I'm not sure drafting another rookie is what's needed.

Depends what you'r looking for.

A future #1 WR isn't going to necessarily get a lot of time in 2010. And the prospects are much better for 2011. And we have way too many other priorities to go after a WR high in 2010.

We already have 3 young WRs who need to develop in Tate, Edelman and Stanbeck. I'm not sure drafting another rookie is what's needed.
In a perfect world I agree with you. But, again, I'm not excited about counting on one of those three to be the other outside WR next year nor would I be excited about counting on our future #1 to be ready as a rookie in 2011.

Drafting another WR would leave us with Moss, Welker, Tate, Edelman, Aiken, Rookie - we could just fit them as several play ST but it depends on whether Stanback is looked at as a WR, QB or JAG.

Im excited about Aiken and Edelman's development in our system.

I think our biggest need of offense is just getting Tom Brady back to 100%. He isn't all there mentally yet and I cant blame him. He didnt play a full game of football for a year and a half before the season started. He's already admitted his Energy level isn't fully back and that might be why he tapers off in the 2nd half of games this season.

Our offense doesnt need that much fixing. It's mainly our D.

Regarding the original question of "what do we need on Offense?" there is a long list of positions and personnel that need to be improved. However, I don't see a lot happening in that department come draft day. Too much focus must be put on the defense with the early picks, so I see it happening like this:

- Move Light to RT
- Retain Watson
- Assume Tate/Edelman's development
- Assume Taylor/Morris retirement or release
- Draft RG, late 2nd round
- Draft power RB, 4th round (LaGarette Blount?)
- And of course, bring in a real OC

I don't think this is the year for the complete offensive overhaul. I think these few small, very manageable changes will go a long way to helping the offense out next year.

Need 1 RT: I think an upgrade at this position as a bookend to Vollmer would do wonders for the OL. We could possibly see a significant upgrade with Light at LT and Vollmer at RT if a RT in the draft cannot be found in this years draft/free agency.

Need 2 RG: Again Oline and this is the Neal replacement. I would hope that Ohrnberger was drafted to be that guy since we traded Ellis Hobbs for him. It would be great if we didn't have to invest here, but could if we chose to.

Wants

1. Big Back to replace Morris- Outside of Dwyer, not sure of any other big backs in this draft

2. Faulk replacement- This is going to be very tough to find, a guy like Spiller from Clemson has great potential.

3. TE- Either an A plus blocker or a guy that creates mismatches in the passing game. I see Watson and Baker back next year, so I am not sure if the Pats would even carry a 3rd TE

I agree with you and would love a Big RB but why TE? Can someone tell me why we never throw to Watson. He has Talent and we don't use him much.

I havent seen him play, but I've heard great things from Freddie Barnes of BG. Not that deep threat but huge reception totals. He is an all around athlete with QB abilities and could be a steal in 5-6 rd. However he played in a gimmicky Bowling Green offense. But then again this is just what I have heard so far from him. Naaman Roosevelt of Buffalo and Taylor Price of Ohio U are also interesting/stealable prospects.

You all mention passrushers. I would note that if Bodden isn't back, our #1 offseason need may be cornerback.
============================================================
OFFSEASON NEEDS - OFFENSE

RUNNING BACK
All are scheduled to come back except Faulk. I would like at least one upgrade.

WIDE RECEIVER
Count me as not being happy with a zero injury situation. We need to bring in a couple of free agents or Belichick needs to learn to draft as well as the colts.

TIGHT END
Watson is gone. So we need TWO tight ends. Given how much we use our tight ends (as blockers almost always these past few weeks), we can't afford to only have two.

OFFENSIVE LINE - TACKLES
I wanted a tackle last year. We drafted a fine one. I can't see that Belichick will make OT a high priority in 2010. He is likely to draft a developmental tackle, especially if he trades Light. The bottom line is an evaluation of Kaczur. If a major upgrade is judged by Belichick to be needed, he might try Light at RT and have LeVoir and Kaczur as the backups.

OFFENSIVE LINE - GUARD
We have no one we can count on for 2010 and onward. If there is an uncapped year, we will give Mankins the highest tender and he will stay for a year. Neal is an UFA and good for only half a year in any case. I have little confidence in Connolly, Wendell and Ohrnberger although one is likely to be OK as a backup.

BOTTOM LINE
As in 2009, there are a lot of wishes. The #1 and #2 NEED is at OG. This year there were several centers we could have had who also were fine prospects at guard. Personally, if I were in charge, two of the first four picks would be guards, presuming the value is there as it was last year. We need starting guards for 2011 even if we can patch together a solution for 2009.

TOP OFFENSIVE PRIORITIES
1) guard
2) guard/center
3) tight end (could be Watson)
4) running back (could be Faulk)
5) wide receiver (likely to be a couple of free agents)

So, as far as the offense is concerned, I would prefer to re-sign Faulk and Watson and use two of our top four picks for OG's, after picking up a couple wideouts in free agency.

Last edited:
We need to replace Dan Graham ... a player who we lost and has left a big void.

I'd love some OL but I also like Golden Tate. With Moss going to slow down sometime, and being a UFA after next year, I don't want to count on Brandon Tate. Tate, Tate, Welker for 2011 sounds good to me.

I want Golden Tate too. I hope we get him and we deffo need an OL and OG. I'd make them top priorities in the draft and use free agency to sign up Peppers which is what we need on D, we need a top OLB too but its not as big a priority as a pass rushing defensive end.

Edit to add that with all the people on here who do want Golden Tate, I think he might be gone long before it gets near us, he is possibly a mid first rounder just going by the amount of people who are saying they like him.

Last edited:
You all mention passrushers. I would note that if Bodden isn't back, our #1 offseason need may be cornerback.

If that happens, I could see us going after Joe Haden if he's available within 5-10 picks of where we pick. I think he's one of the blue chip prospects on defense in this draft, and one of the few guys worth trading up for if the cost isn't prohibitive. Otherwise, I could see using one of our seconds on someone like Donovan Warren, Kareem Jackson, or Brandon Ghee.

Need 1 RT: I think an upgrade at this position as a bookend to Vollmer would do wonders for the OL. We could possibly see a significant upgrade with Light at LT and Vollmer at RT if a RT in the draft cannot be found in this years draft/free agency.

Need 2 RG: Again Oline and this is the Neal replacement. I would hope that Ohrnberger was drafted to be that guy since we traded Ellis Hobbs for him. It would be great if we didn't have to invest here, but could if we chose to.

Wants

1. Big Back to replace Morris- Outside of Dwyer, not sure of any other big backs in this draft

2. Faulk replacement- This is going to be very tough to find, a guy like Spiller from Clemson has great potential.

3. TE- Either an A plus blocker or a guy that creates mismatches in the passing game. I see Watson and Baker back next year, so I am not sure if the Pats would even carry a 3rd TE

I agree with you and would love a Big RB but why TE? Can someone tell me why we never throw to Watson. He has Talent and we don't use him much.

It appears that the OL has needed TE help lately, so we aren't able to use them as much in the passing game. Cook would have been a nice pickup at TE. but whatever, Bb didn't draft a single tight end in 2009, which was shocking. He really is hard to figure out.

I'd love to see a real power RB. A jerome bettis/corey dillon type of guy. I think that would help balance the pass heavy nature of the offense. But I've said it before. Have yet to see the Pats draft that type of RB early.

Last edited:
I'm changing my offseason priority needs.

We need:

1. Leaders, especially on defense. Regardless of position. Team-first guys with heart and intensity who will do whatever it takes to win. Wes Welker kind of guys. Guys to provide a foundation for the defense. We've got lots of playmakers, but we don't have a strong core foundation or identity for the defense.

2. Pass rushers.

3. Offensive line.

Everything else is secondary - depth at RB, TE and WR. The only other major need would be CB if we lose Leigh Bodden and don't come up with a replacement.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back