PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bert Breer thinks Nick Caserio could be named OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not betting on it at this point, but it might make some sense. Caserio's star seems to be rising faster than O'Brien's. He seems to be a brighter guy. If he is like McDaniels, he might be a far better signal caller.

It makes sense. Brady's frustration about plays getting in on time seemed to grow over the season, that might have been part of a larger issue with his and O'Brien's chemistry.

Still, BOB would still be QB coach, so hopefully he and TB work well together there.

No thanks on Caserio, we need a real OC (you know who has done it before), not a personal guy. And we have plenty of RBs to get the job done if our OL new how to run block. See it helps to actually run the ball to get used to run blocking rather in defensive pass protection mode all game.

I agree, but Caserio at least was a quarterback in college.

I'd rather hire a respected offensive coordinator than try to find someone based on Brady's approval. Let's face it, we've become a team who's offense is run by a defensive expert HC and a quarterback who had his greatest success as a consistent cautious game manager.

That's not a dirty word, it's usually used to describe QBs who win Super Bowls rather than put up gaudy numbers. Remember how much pride we took in Brady never putting the ball up for grabs? Lol now. Brady now wants to throw long all the time and put up the numbers. If he picks a coach to enable that philosophy, we'll be just where we started.

I mean, come on, this stuff kills me. Seriously? We're going to let ONE helmet catch cloud our judgment? The 2007 team was ONE fluke play away from being the greatest football team - maybe the greatest sports team - of all time. Even with the outcome they had, its hard to argue Brady didn't have the greatest season of any QB in history.

The 2001, 2003, & 2004 Super Bowls could've all gone one way or another - the defense blew leads in 2/3 and was close to giving it up in the 3rd. It's just the nature of the game. In 2007, the offense couldn't put up enough points to hold the inevitable 4th quarter scoring that SBs seem to produce, and basically we were unlucky enough to not have the ball last (discounting the :30 drive that was blown the instant Brady was sacked on 2nd down).

Brady has advocated for balance numerous times. Heck, I can think of two examples this season where Sammy Morris has had a TD or a big run and he attributed it to Brady checking to a running play based on the D's look. But it's besides the point.

To say Brady was more successful as a "game manager" than as a slinger in 2007 is insane. He put up 50TDs and a paltry 8INTs. He's never thrown less than 10 interceptions in ANY OTHER SEASON. If that's not managing the game, I don't know what is. If you're not happy with that, then I don't know what you want. Are you saying you'd rather him throw MORE interceptions and LESS touchdowns??

Last edited:
No thanks on Caserio, we need a real OC (you know who has done it before), not a personal guy. And we have plenty of RBs to get the job done if our OL new how to run block. See it helps to actually run the ball to get used to run blocking rather in defensive pass protection mode all game.

Caserio has years of coaching experience and one year of personnel experience.

I mean, come on, this stuff kills me. Seriously? We're going to let ONE helmet catch cloud our judgment? The 2007 team was ONE fluke play away from being the greatest football team - maybe the greatest sports team - of all time. Even with the outcome they had, its hard to argue Brady didn't have the greatest season of any QB in history.

The 2001, 2003, & 2004 Super Bowls could've all gone one way or another - the defense blew leads in 2/3 and was close to giving it up in the 3rd. It's just the nature of the game. In 2007, the offense couldn't put up enough points to hold the inevitable 4th quarter scoring that SBs seem to produce, and basically we were unlucky enough to not have the ball last (discounting the :30 drive that was blown the instant Brady was sacked on 2nd down).

Brady has advocated for balance numerous times. Heck, I can think of two examples this season where Sammy Morris has had a TD or a big run and he attributed it to Brady checking to a running play based on the D's look. But it's besides the point.

To say Brady was more successful as a "game manager" than as a slinger in 2007 is insane. He put up 50TDs and a paltry 8INTs. He's never thrown less than 10 interceptions in ANY OTHER SEASON. If that's not managing the game, I don't know what is. If you're not happy with that, then I don't know what you want. Are you saying you'd rather him throw MORE interceptions and LESS touchdowns??

Going back to 2003 or 2004, people used to call Brady a dinker and dunker back then, but the stats told the real story. He had the highest yards per attempt (or was it catch?) in the league. So either he was getting a lot more YAC than anyone or he was slinging it.

You also look at those Super Bowls and he was doing anything but managing the game. He was winning it.

Are these the stats of a game manager?

32/48, 354 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT

People take Brady lightly. They still think of Brady as a conservative game manager, and they ignore the stats and they ignore the great performances.

People don't even realize that Brady has the record for completions in a Super Bowl. They don't realize that Antowain Smith ran the ball 26 times for 82 yards and a whopping 3.3 average per carry.

After Kurt Warner's performance, this is example #1 that a Super Bowl can be won by someone's arm in a passing duel. It wasn't the running game that won it for the Patriots. It wasn't the defense that gave up 325 passing yards. It was Tom freakin' Brady slinging it like a madman, in a Super Bowl performance that ranks as one of the greatest for QBs.

Do you see any chance of Floyd Reese taking on a larger FO role with the Pats then he has had? It might be one way of keeping him from taking the Seattle GM job if it is offered. He certainly has a lot of experience, and has had a reasonable amount of success in the past. He could team up with Licht, Robinson and Quinn.

Certainly Reese playing Scott Pioli's role and Caserio as OC would be a much stronger set of personalities to balance BB than what we essentially had this season.

No, I think it was more of a one-year, get-on-your-feet type of hire, with Belichick getting some veteran input in return. Kind of like Capers last year, although some have speculated that Capers was brought on in case Belichick was suspended for Spygate.

First, I see Reese taking the Seahawks' job by next week.

Even if Khan gets it, I don't see Reese taking on a larger role with the Pats.

I'm pretty sure Reese will move on. Possibly as early as today or tomorrow.

Also, I can't find the link for the life of me, but I read somewhere that Jason Licht has some job opportunities outside of NE as well.

I'm pretty sure Reese will move on. Possibly as early as today or tomorrow.

Also, I can't find the link for the life of me, but I read somewhere that Jason Licht has some job opportunities outside of NE as well.

He was on the first list of Seattle's candidates.

This makes perfect sense since Caserio has been on the FO fast track his entire career spending 7 years in scouting and personnel and just 2 seasons crosstraining as an offensive assistant (2002) and position coach (2007 WR coach...) and he essentially replaced Pioli last season minus only the VP title. Honestly, I don't get what happened to Breer's brain since he returned from his own odd oddessey.

Ahem.

1999-2000 Saginaw Valley State (Graduate Assistant)
2001 Central Michigan (Graduate Assistant)
2001 New England Patriots (Personnel Assistant)
2002 New England Patriots (Offensive Coaching Assistant)
2003 New England Patriots (Area Scout)
2004-2006 New England Patriots (Director of Pro Personnel)
2007 New England Patriots (Wide Receivers Coach)
2008-2009 New England Patriots (Director of Player Personnel)

Last edited by a moderator:
This makes perfect sense since Caserio has been on the FO fast track his entire career spending 7 years in scouting and personnel and just 2 seasons crosstraining as an offensive assistant (2002) and position coach (2007 WR coach...) and he essentially replaced Pioli last season minus only the VP title. Honestly, I don't get what happened to Breer's brain since he returned from his own odd oddessey.

PFW in Progress says that he might have been calling plays last season. We know that he was assisting O'Shea with the wide receivers.

I have a feeling that maybe 3 to 5 years down the road Nick is being groomed as the next head coach heir. He's coached multiple positions had work in the front office, talks with Ernie Adams. Thinks to make you go hmmm.

Actually it's just the opposite. He has several years experience in the FO including scouting stints and just two seasons of coaching experience. He has one year as a position coach and it was the WR's coach in 2007...He also has his MBA.

All O'Brien has is in contrast is 14 years of college coaching experience including as an OC and 3 years of pro coaching experience here including as the WR's coach in 08 and QB's coach in 09...

I have a feeling that maybe 3 to 5 years down the road Nick is being groomed as the next head coach heir. He's coached multiple positions had work in the front office, talks with Ernie Adams. Thinks to make you go hmmm.

Word is that Matt Patricia is the guy who is likely to be a head coach some day. Not that I expect anyone replacing Belichick anytime soon, but Patricia may be a more likely candidate to replace Belichick.

Here's who the Patriots have lost in the previous two offseasons (i.e. since January 2008):

-Scott Pioli, Vice President of Player Personnel (KC) --> 2009
-Thomas Dimitroff, Director of College Scouting (ATL) --> 2008
-Jay Muraco, College Scouting Coordinator (KC) --> 2009
-Marvin Allen, Area Scout (ATL) --> 2009
-Jim Nagy, Area Scout (KC) --> 2009
-Adam Peters, Area Scout (DEN) --> 2009

-Joel Collier, Secondary ("fired," now Pioli's Assistant GM) --> 2008
-Dom Capers, Special Assistant/Secondary (GB) --> 2009
-Brad Seely, Special Teams (CLE) --> 2009
-Josh McDaniels, Offensive Coordinator (DEN) --> 2009
-Pete Mangurian, Tight Ends ("fired," now OL coach for TB) --> 2009
-Dean Pees, Defensive Coordinator ("fired") --> 2010

Last edited:
Word is that Matt Patricia is the guy who is likely to be a head coach some day. Not that I expect anyone replacing Belichick anytime soon, but Patricia may be a more likely candidate to replace Belichick.

There is a knock on his ability to teach.. he is a genius in his own right, but as far as teaching goes- haven't been hearing anything good.

Very possible, I'd have to agree with Chris Pat more though. It seems that Caserio has been involved with everything in the organization. You have to like a potential coach who has dipped his toes in multiple areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back