PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bernie Kosar looking for a coaching job in New England?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kosar was pretty good at avoiding INTs, no?

I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that BB controversially dumped a low-INT QB for a high-INT one.

Could lead to problems.

Bridget does love Bernie.

How will Giselle and Bridget handle being at the same team functions?

Wasn't one of the reasons that Cleveland fans wanted to run BB out of town is that he benched Bernie in favor of Vinnie???

If you look at Bedard's original quote, it seems like the interest may be one-sided.

Quick hits from the Senior Bowl - Extra Points - Boston.com
Heard former Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar has been poking around the Patriots the past couple weeks. He hopes to get into coaching.

I know it was a long time ago, but as I recall the biggest reason Belichick decided to demote Kosar was because he would not take direction and decided to run the plays he wanted rather than the ones the coaches called when he was the Browns QB. That kind of personality trait isn't going to exactly endear him to BB.

I could be wrong but I also seem to recall Belichick not being crazy about his work ethic in terms of studying film. Again, that doesn't translate well to getting a job as a coach.

Last thing to consider is that he has had some front office jobs, but has never been a coach in any capacity at any level. To me that kills the deal right there. I cannot see Belichick making a person with zero coaching experience his QB coach, even if he does have plenty of other NFL experience.

Kosar may indeed be looking to become a coach with the Pats, but I would be shocked if this happens.

Wasn't one of the reasons that Cleveland fans wanted to run BB out of town is that he benched Bernie in favor of Vinnie???
It was but they have since repaired the relationship and Kosar even recommended the Browns hire Belichick upon their return in 1999; thankfully they didn't ;)

oh god no. This guy's a loon. And would report everything back to the Browns' FO.

It's supposedly all water under the bridge now, but yeah. Seems like that's just sorta Belichick's thing. Luckily it worked out a lot better here.

Last edited:
Maybe BB will elevate O'Brien to become the official Offensive Coordinator position and move in Bernie Kosar as QB coach?.

BB and Kosar together again would be mighty interesting.

Bernie Kosar could join the New England Patriots or Cincinnati Bengals, according to reports | cleveland.com

I've been wondering about this a little.

From a productivity standpoint, Brady does not need an Qb coach. He's a veteran now and doesn't need the "teaching" so to speak. But the value of ta QB coach has to a QB is ensuring that the QB's mechanics are ok and he has someone to break down film with and get a different perspective on things. All great players need some level of coaching. You could make the case that maybe TB isn't getting enough of it come playoff time but nothing can prove that really.

TB had Rehbein, Hufnagel, and JMcD to work with him as QB coach in the past. I do wonder if it couldn't hurt to have someone Brady can talk to every now and then.

Kosar was pretty good at avoiding INTs, no?

I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that BB controversially dumped a low-INT QB for a high-INT one.

IIRC Bernie wasn't getting the job done stretching the field and was taking too many sacks. He was never a strong armed QB (or mobile for that matter) to begin with and BB felt that he needed to make a change.

I've been wondering about this a little.

From a productivity standpoint, Brady does not need an Qb coach. He's a veteran now and doesn't need the "teaching" so to speak. But the value of ta QB coach has to a QB is ensuring that the QB's mechanics are ok and he has someone to break down film with and get a different perspective on things. All great players need some level of coaching. You could make the case that maybe TB isn't getting enough of it come playoff time but nothing can prove that really.

TB had Rehbein, Hufnagel, and JMcD to work with him as QB coach in the past. I do wonder if it couldn't hurt to have someone Brady can talk to every now and then.

If Brady didn't need a QB coach, do you really think that he would spend every off-season working with his Tom Martinez (Brady's HS QB Coach) on improving??

If there was anyone whom I'd like the Patriots to hire it would be Martinez.

Maybe they should sign Kosar as a QUARTERBACK!!!!! Maybe he wouldn't SUCK in the playoffs like Brady!!!!!! :D:D:D Just kidding, please don't get y'all's panties in a bunch now;)

Not that Brady needs a position coach... but it wouldn't hurt to have Kosar mentoring the back-ups.

Hell freakin' no!!! Does anyone remember that article about Kosar a few months ago? His wife left him and he's severely in debt due to drug and gambling problems.

Hell freakin' no!!! Does anyone remember that article about Kosar a few months ago? His wife left him and he's severely in debt due to drug and gambling problems.
Exactly. I don't know why anyone would want him in NE. Just listen to him announce a Browns preseason game and you'd see what an idiot he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots