PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bernard Pollard whines about player safety rules; calls Brady "pretty boy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pollard hasn't had the opportunity to be Gronked yet. Good luck, champ.

It really is amazing how you all think these guys just come out and say these things on their own. You do understand that they are responding to questions regarding to these things, right? I'm sure the question to Pollard was something along the lines of what do you think about the rule changes and has it changed your style of play and what do you think of Tom Brady?

These aren't just out of nowhere comments by Pollard or by Flacco earlier in the day.

A question for Pats fans along those lines: Do you actually believe Pollard's hit on Brady was "cheap"?

Ummm...YES!!

What else did he think would happen when you dive at a players knee?

And before you say something stupid like " he was just trying to jump back up and not give up on the play", remember that he was being held down. How far up do you think he thought that he could jump up? was he making a desperation jump at Toms shoulders? give me a break.
I appreciate Fans of other teams coming here and stimulating conversation in a respectful way, but don't try to defend a leap at a players knee. It makes you come off like an (*)hole

Ummm...YES!!

What else did he think would happen when you dive at a players knee?

And before you say something stupid like " he was just trying to jump back up and not give up on the play", remember that he was being held down. How far up do you think he thought that he could jump up? was he making a desperation jump at Toms shoulders? give me a break.
I appreciate Fans of other teams coming here and stimulating conversation in a respectful way, but don't try to defend a leap at a players knee. It makes you come off like an (*)hole

That doesn't make sense. You say before I say something stupid like "he was trying to jump back up and not give up on the play" and you agree that he was being held down.... so he should of just laid there and stayed held down on the ground? Please explain what you expected the man to do because it sounds like you wanted him to stay laying down.

That doesn't make sense. You say before I say something stupid like "he was trying to jump back up and not give up on the play" and you agree that he was being held down.... so he should of just laid there and stayed held down on the ground? Please explain what you expected the man to do because it sounds like you wanted him to stay laying down.

If the same situation happened again today what should he or anyone do? The reason the rule is there is to prevent season ending injuries. It may be a tough rule but yeah, if you can't get up to make a legal hit then you have to give it up. He's publicly saying that he thinks it was ok and he's disappointed he can't keep doing it.

It makes perfect sense.
You get off the ground and then try to make a LEGAL tackle. Don't dive at someones knees because it's as far you can reach.
Should he lie there? No. I never implied that.
He should deal with getting up, or away from the person holding him there... or just grab brady and trip him with his hand...or knit a sweater... anything but dive his shoulder at a QB's knees while he's locked in a throwing stance.
If this guy never joined your team and did the exact same thing to one of your players (not that you have 1 that is equal to Bradys importance), you would not be defending this move. Don't even deny that fact. You know it, I know it, and everyone else with 2 brain cells to rub together knows it.

Seriously, you need to step away from this one.
Unless you're training for a job as Al Quedas new PR man... then by all means, continue to argue indefensable acts by people in your organization.

as a parting thought.... When the injury happened, there was one group of people celebrating it and selling "Bernard Pollard for President" T-shirts.
It was the Steelers fans.
As a Ravens fan I figured you would especially love being in agreement with those guys. :rolleyes:
Just don't let your fellow Ravens fans know that you share common sentiments with the grade school level intelligence that permeates the Steelers fanbase

Man I dunno. I watch that and it's not all that clear to me whether Pollard was leaping toward Brady and pushed down by the blocker or if he was just going low all along. It's one thing to have your suspicions but I am kind of confounded by the certainty some of you have that Pollard was trying to hurt Brady on that play.

I guess another thing I would say is that there are hundreds of illegal or barely-legal hits in the NFL every year. If Pollard is a dirty player, so be it, but as far as I know he doesn't have that reputation amongst his peers. It's funny how people judge each other so harshly based on consequences of their actions instead of the actions themselves. If Brady hadn't gotten hurt, would you really think that play was any worse than your average roughing the kicker call or late hit?

All that aside, his comments are stupid, I mean there is absolutely no benefit to saying the things that he said.

You're probably also one those ignorant pukes that would defend Michael Vick if he were on your team.
Just to be 100% clear, i'm not equating what Vick did, to what Pollard did. I am saying that only ignorant, soulless, homers will defend a deplorable act by someone just because he plays for his team.

Normally I don't get into trash talking or bragging...specifically because I respect your teams ability and find it's dumb for me to brag about what someone other than myself will do.. But I seriously hope Brady puts a beatdown on your club this Sunday.
I previously only cared for this to happen so we could advance to the Superbowl, but now I want you to suffer for being such an insufferable D-Bag.

And not that I wish this....;)... but Bernard better hope that he doesn't end up at the bottom of any piles this weekend. After all his ignorant, unapologetic, blustering.... I'm sure that someone wil be giving him a friendly handshake (Romanowski style) while they're down there. Courtesy of Brady's bunch :rocker:

The problem here in this thread is that a few Ravens fans thought they could come in here and whine about the "Brady rule", armed with Bleacher Report-level knowledge, but they were woefully unprepared to back up their "assertions". Now, they're butthurt and trolling it up. Eh...

But yes, I agree with a couple of the above comments. There have been a couple of good Ravens posters. If you happen to be one of those, check out the threads started by Jays52 and patfranken. Good reads.

You are giving the Ravens fans in this thread too much credit and insulting Bleacher Report. The Bleacher Report is more knowledgeable. :D

Culpability goes a long way here, Not Trolling. Culpability can be defined as "[the] measure of the degree to which an agent, such as a person, can be held morally or legally responsible. Culpability marks the dividing line between moral evil, like murder, for which someone may be held responsible and natural evil, like earthquakes, for which no one can be held responsible."

Nobody can raise doubt as to pollard's intent, given that:
1) No reasonably safe hit could be performed, given pollard's location in respect to:
a) his location, as he was on the ground when he lunged;
b) his proximity to the quarterback's knees when he lunged;
c) the likelihood that pollard might make contact with a vulnerable locus.
2) His demeanor and attitude after the hit:
a) Quote: ""That's the pretty boy. That's the man of the NFL. That's Mr. Do-It-All," he said. "So everybody is going to hold that against me but I don't care." Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/2012/01/18/3695368/years-later-bernard-pollard-still.html#storylink=cpy"

He tells on himself with that quote... reading between the lines, I see pure vitriolic envy to the point where any opportunity to destroy the source of envy is virtuous, in his diseased eye.
This punk is cancerous to the league, and you should be outraged that he plays.

Man I dunno. I watch that and it's not all that clear to me whether Pollard was leaping toward Brady and pushed down by the blocker or if he was just going low all along. It's one thing to have your suspicions but I am kind of confounded by the certainty some of you have that Pollard was trying to hurt Brady on that play.

I guess another thing I would say is that there are hundreds of illegal or barely-legal hits in the NFL every year. If Pollard is a dirty player, so be it, but as far as I know he doesn't have that reputation amongst his peers. It's funny how people judge each other so harshly based on consequences of their actions instead of the actions themselves. If Brady hadn't gotten hurt, would you really think that play was any worse than your average roughing the kicker call or late hit?

All that aside, his comments are stupid, I mean there is absolutely no benefit to saying the things that he said.

Yes it is.
Most roughing the kicker calls and late hits aren't targeted at the support knee. They also usually don't result in a season ending (SOMETIMES CAREER THREATENING) injury.
Like I said to your Birdy-Buddy,.. What did Pollard think he could accomplish while froggy hopping at Brady's lower body?
Nothing within his jump range was a legal hit.

and as final prof of my point, I enter into evidence.. "Exhibit A",.. Your last sentence that I highlighted. By his comments alone he clarified his intentions.

So please... for the love of god... both of you stop trying to defend the mans intentions when he clearly revels in his own ill-intents, and states them publically.
He clearly doesn't want/doesn't benefit fom your defense.

Tom Brady Out for the Season - YouTube

Please watch that video and tell me he wasn't still being pushed down by the back. I'm not even arguing whether or not it was breaking the rules, I'm arguing that it wasn't a dirty, cheap play. That looks like a completely natural play with no ill intent whatsoever. He is chopped down, getting back up and while getting up is being blocked back down and yes he "lunges" at Brady but what exactly would you like him to do right there in that situation???? Please watch the video and explain what he could of done in that position and how that wasn't a natural and completely normal reaction. I love how you guys claim I'm "seeing what I want to see." You all are definitely the ones wrong on this one (in terms of it being some cheap shot).

Take your head out of your arse, would you? You clearly do not understand the difference between being blocked INTO and someone lunging while he's being blocked.

Pollard CLEARLY LUNGES at Brady's knee. It's plain as day in the video you just provided. You claiming that Morris somehow blocked Pollard into Brady just shows your complete ignorance on the subject.

Now, since you are clearly are a troll and your name is complete BS, I'm going to call you as I see you. A complete and utter moron who couldn't describe anything accurately if your life was at stake. You've proven it. Not only that, you can't actually read. I didn't say it was a cheap shot. Here is EXACTLY what I said..

DaBruinz said:
Does that make it a "cheap" shot? No. It makes it a stupid move by an ignorant player.

So, do yourself a favor. Zip your ignorant trap and go back to whatever basement you crawled out of. We don't need ignorant buffoons like yourself on this board.

Last edited:
Culpability goes a long way here, Not Trolling. Culpability can be defined as "[the] measure of the degree to which an agent, such as a person, can be held morally or legally responsible. Culpability marks the dividing line between moral evil, like murder, for which someone may be held responsible and natural evil, like earthquakes, for which no one can be held responsible."

Nobody can raise doubt as to pollard's intent, given that:
1) No reasonably safe hit could be performed, given pollard's location in respect to:
a) his location, as he was on the ground when he lunged;
b) his proximity to the quarterback's knees when he lunged;
c) the likelihood that pollard might make contact with a vulnerable locus.
2) His demeanor and attitude after the hit:
a) Quote: ""That's the pretty boy. That's the man of the NFL. That's Mr. Do-It-All," he said. "So everybody is going to hold that against me but I don't care." Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/2012/01/18/3695368/years-later-bernard-pollard-still.html#storylink=cpy"

He tells on himself with that quote... reading between the lines, I see pure vitriolic envy to the point where any opportunity to destroy the source of envy is virtuous, in his diseased eye.
This punk is cancerous to the league, and you should be outraged that he plays.

We were typing virtually the same counter-arguments at the same time.

You took the words right out of my mouth. (more like typed them faster and more eliquently than I could..lol)

I expect him to play within the RULES you moron. I expect him to NOT dive at another player's legs. Something that your video CLEARLY shows. I expect him to get up and go after the ball since it was clear that Brady was going to make the pass and there was no way Pollard would going to get up and get into Brady's chest or in front of the ball.

WOW, Ravens fans sure love to defend the actions of their thug players.

We were typing virtually the same counter-arguments at the same time.

You took the words right out of my mouth. (more like typed them faster and more eliquently than I could..lol)

Sorry to steal your thunder, I'm only on my second toddy, so the fingers are still somewhat nimble.

:D

Yes it is.
Most roughing the kicker calls and late hits aren't targeted at the support knee. They also usually don't result in a season ending (SOMETIMES CAREER THREATENING) injury.
Like I said to your Birdy-Buddy,.. What did Pollard think he could accomplish while froggy hopping at Brady's lower body?
Nothing within his jump range was a legal hit.

and as final prof of my point, I enter into evidence.. "Exhibit A",.. Your last sentence that I highlighted. By his comments alone he clarified his intentions.

So please... for the love of god... both of you stop trying to defend the mans intentions when he clearly revels in his own ill-intents, and states them publically.
He clearly doesn't want/doesn't benefit fom your defense.

Hey - you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine so here it is. As far as I am concerned there are some really high expectations on NFL players to avoid certain types of contact. In the real world, game speed, a guy pushing on your back and trying to make a big play, I find it tough to judge these guys too harshly when they make a mistake like this. I know I've accidentally hurt people in athletic contests, and sometimes what I did was against the rules. There's a difference between overzealousness and malice.

It's a little disturbing to me sometimes how people ascribe the worst possible motivations to people. It seems to me that hit could have come from any number of intentions, anything from actively trying to hurt Brady to just trying desperately to make a great play.

Pollard was a Raven when Brady got her boo-boo?

Man that stuff doesn't help. You are just antagonizing these guys.

I think if you step back, put away your biases and imagine yourself trying to make a bang-bang play in an NFL game you can at least see how something like that could happen. It's not premeditated murder by any means. But calling it a "boo-boo" is just going to rile people up and you are never going to get any kind of point across that way.

I guess on some level I'm really, really optimistic thinking that someone is going to read a post on a football forum and change their mind, but the truth is that just being rude and trash-talking each other is probably just as productive. Still ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey