PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bernard Pollard whines about player safety rules; calls Brady "pretty boy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
*ROFLMAO* Sorry, but you are becoming a troll with your idiotic comments.

Patriots players show plenty of emotion, personality, and speak their minds truthfully. Just because you are ignorant of that fact doesn't make it any less true.

Do yourself a favor and zip it on things you clearly don't know about.

Relax, Comrade! :D

It really is amazing how you all think these guys just come out and say these things on their own. You do understand that they are responding to questions regarding to these things, right? I'm sure the question to Pollard was something along the lines of what do you think about the rule changes and has it changed your style of play and what do you think of Tom Brady?

These aren't just out of nowhere comments by Pollard or by Flacco earlier in the day.

A question for Pats fans along those lines: Do you actually believe Pollard's hit on Brady was "cheap"?

It was an illegal hit (Carson Palmer rule) that involved him lunging from the ground directly into Brady's knee while Brady had all of his weight on said knee.

Contrary to the common misconception, this wasn't a legal hit at the time, that was made illegal after the fact. After the 2005 season, due to Carson Palmer's knee injury, it was made illegal to hit any QB in the knees unless you were blocked into him (citation). Pollard's hit was illegal at the time, and was known for being extraordinarily dangerous.

So yes, it was a cheap shot. Deliberately lunging at a QB's knees, especially when he is in the process of throwing, is always a cheap shot.

Last edited:
Do I believe that Pollard intentionally went at Brady's knees? Yes.

Do I believe that Pollard thought about the consequences of his actions? No. He's clearly not that intelligent.

Does that make it a "cheap" shot? No. It makes it a stupid move by an ignorant player.

Was the rule about going at the knees of a QB solely the result of the hit on Brady? No. It wasn't. There were hits on Carson Palmer and Ben Roethlingsberger that also resulted in knee injuries in years prior. The hit on Brady was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back".

I'm actually very interested in this because every time I watch it, before and after Pollard was a member of the Ravens, I see a guy who was blocked to the ground, tried to get up and while he was being blocked back to the ground AND while Brady stepped up into a throw he made contact with Brady low.

I'm unsure as to what a player in Pollard's situation was supposed to do? I'm not trying to get you guys angry, I'm just legitimately interested in what you think he could of done in that situation. If you're on the ground, trying to get back up and being shoved back down while moving forward.... AND the QB happens to step into the throw at the exact second this happens, how is that a bad/ignorant/cheap play?

It really is amazing how you all think these guys just come out and say these things on their own. You do understand that they are responding to questions regarding to these things, right? I'm sure the question to Pollard was something along the lines of what do you think about the rule changes and has it changed your style of play and what do you think of Tom Brady?

These aren't just out of nowhere comments by Pollard or by Flacco earlier in the day.

A question for Pats fans along those lines: Do you actually believe Pollard's hit on Brady was "cheap"?

We get that he didn't just walk by the media and say "hey...." but just because they ask doesn't mean he has to respond. See New England Patriots handbook under how to deal with the media section 101. ;)

And no it wasn't a cheap shot the guy was trying to make a play.

"Baited." Riiiight.

Reporters don't bait players?

Riiiiight

He was either going to answer with the quote above, or say something like, "I'm really sorry about that injury and really didn't mean it. I hope Brady can forgive and forget". What do you think he's going to say during AFCC week?

Right after the game in which the Patriots destroyed the Broncos, the sideline reporter talked to Brady. Said all the right things, and left. She turned to Gronk, and tried her best to get him to say something wrong. He didn't. Fans around here are still pissed that BB benched Wes against the Jets for his comments. That is the Patriot way. Payback will happen on the field, just ask Anthony Smith.

Pollard, Suggs and the rest of the ravens are just doing exactly what the pats did in '04/'06 and still do. They take a question/comment out of context, turn it around as a slight, and use it as motivation. Pats once credited a win to the fact that the PFW crew and mike reiss all picked against them.

And no it wasn't a cheap shot the guy was trying to make a play.

Thank you! Finally someone sees it as I do. I really don't know how it was cheap. As I explained above, I saw a guy getting up off the ground, being blocked back down to the ground as he is falling forward and Brady happens to also be stepping into the throw at that time. Was Pollard supposed to lay on the ground or somehow dive in a completely different direction to avoid contact with Brady while he was being blocked into him?

Last edited:
As a Ravens fan who has watched every game this year, Pollard has played pretty clean and does not seem to do the things that nearly landed his predecessor at SS (Dawan Landry) in a wheelchair. He also hasn't run off at the mouth, which leads me to believe he was baited somewhat.

There is also some validity to what he says since the rule was created as a result of Brady's ACL injury. LT ended Theismann's career and it didn't prompt a rule change. I haven't looked it up, but I'm sure Brady wasn't the first starting qb to get injured like that. None of those guys got the rule change.

Nope, the rule was created after the Steelers tore Palmer's ACL in the playoffs. It was altered after Brady's ACL to include preventing a player from lunging at the QB below the knee from the ground. ;)

Last edited:
Reporters don't bait players?

Riiiiight

He was either going to answer with the quote above, or say something like, "I'm really sorry about that injury and really didn't mean it. I hope Brady can forgive and forget". What do you think he's going to say during AFCC week?

Reporters try to bait players, but only idiot players get baited. There's a reason that all of the jerk soundbites routinely come from the same teams, namely the Ravens and Jets.

One of the reasons the Patriots are going to their 6th AFCCG in 11 years is because the MANTRA is that this is a TEAM and not a group of individuals. That means working together to get the job done. It means that you worry about your job as it relates to the objective.

Players on allowed to speak their mind on things not related to pro football. When it comes to the game, the team asks that they refrain from singling out people (either teammates or the opposition). Why? Because they don't want a controversy. They don't want to give the other team anything that can be used for Bulletin Board material. And, they don't appreciate throwing someone under the bus. Especially since no one is perfect.

There is a reason that the Patriots, under Belichick, have had numerous books written about them and him. It's because they are successful. It's because they breed a sense of responsibility into the players and coaches. Not a sense of entitlement. Not a sense of individuality. But a sense of teamwork.

I wouldn't expect you to understand when your team has been to only 1 AFCCG game in the last 11 years.

Im sure Tom Brady wont care if he ends the seasons and career of the whole Ravens team this week. Sweet revenge.

Reporters try to bait players, but only idiot players get baited. There's a reason that all of the jerk soundbites routinely come from the same teams, namely the Ravens and Jets.

Plenty more jerkiness around the NFL. You guys are just laser focused on the jets....and this week the Ravens.

Plenty more jerkiness around the NFL. You guys are just laser focused on the jets....and this week the Ravens.

NO, I'm focused on Bernard Pollard. I hate him for what he did. Nothing he says or does will change that. He could have ended the man's career. I hope someone runs him over on Sunday. :mad:

As for the rest of the Ravens, I have no beef with them. Love Ed Reed wish we had him on our team. I have much respect for Lewis, Suggs and the rest of that defense, but Pollard is a punk. I have no respect for him.

As a Ravens fan who has watched every game this year, Pollard has played pretty clean and does not seem to do the things that nearly landed his predecessor at SS (Dawan Landry) in a wheelchair. He also hasn't run off at the mouth, which leads me to believe he was baited somewhat.

There is also some validity to what he says since the rule was created as a result of Brady's ACL injury. LT ended Theismann's career and it didn't prompt a rule change. I haven't looked it up, but I'm sure Brady wasn't the first starting qb to get injured like that. None of those guys got the rule change.

The rule that makes it illegal to hit a QB in the knee was put into place following the 2005 season. I already cited it earlier in this thread. The Pollard-Brady hit happened in 2008. You do the math.

The catalyst for the rule in question was actually Kimo's hit on Carson Palmer. All that the "Brady rule" did was add some further clarification to the existing exception, so that it's now illegal to hit the QB in the knee when lunging from the ground even if you're blocked.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Bengals' first pass play, Carson Palmer threw a 66-yard pass to rookie receiver Chris Henry. It was the longest completion in Bengals playoff history. After Palmer released the pass, Steelers defensive tackle Kimo von Oelhoffen, a former Bengal, made contact with Palmer's lower left leg. The tackle, later ruled unintentional, violently wrenched Palmer's knee, and he was forced to leave the game. A magnetic resonance imaging test revealed a severe knee injury; Palmer had tears of both the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments as well as cartilage and meniscus damage. Coincidentally, Henry himself suffered a knee injury on the same play, though far less severe. The Bengals lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion Steelers 31–17.

During the off-season, the league's Rules Committee modified the rule regarding low hits on quarterbacks. The new rule prohibited defenders from hitting a passer at or below the knee unless they are blocked into him. Injuries to Palmer, Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger, and Tampa Bay's Brian Griese were cited as reasons for the new rule. The rule now requires that defenders take every opportunity to avoid hitting a quarterback at or below the knees when the quarterback is in a defenseless position looking to throw with both feet on the ground.

Carson Palmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every human being is responsible for what comes out of their mouth. Period.

There is also some validity to what he says since the rule was created as a result of Brady's ACL injury.

The NFL had been contemplating the rule for some time. Palmer, Trent Green, etc.

LT ended Theismann's career and it didn't prompt a rule change. I haven't looked it up, but I'm sure Brady wasn't the first starting qb to get injured like that. None of those guys got the rule change.

LT landed on top of Theisman and his leg shattered like a toothpick. He did not hit the leg directly.

See above for my commentary to the QBs.

Last edited:
NO, I'm focused on Bernard Pollard. I hate him for what he did. Nothing he says or does will change that. He could have ended the man's career. I hope someone runs him over on Sunday. :mad:

This. ****! that POS!!!

Used to be the Chargers. Now, it's occasionally Pittsburgh and the Giants, and maybe the random dude from Nowheresville.

But today, anytime someone's mouthing off, there's a better than even chance it's a Jet or a Raven, because that's their culture. You said it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes