Bergen Record:Players dont like playing for Mangini

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
Jets | Not all players enjoy working for Mangini
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 07:40:40 -0700

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports not all the New York Jets players are happy playing for new head coach Eric Mangini. He came to town with a well-formed plan for how to build a winning NFL operation, which included a tough training camp, a multitude of rules and a template for what he wanted from his players, all of which have left some veterans in foul moods as the new season approaches. If the Jets start out slow, it's going to get ugly," said a person familiar with players on the roster. "The word is they don't like playing for this guy." "Any coach, you're going to respect," said one player who requested anonymity. "He's your head coach. He was brought here for a reason. You've got to respect him. But certain things aren't necessary to gain that respect. It's not necessary to punish people." There are also the Mangini rules, and the fines for violating those rules. Players can be docked for missing media sessions but also for talking with reporters "after hours." Being deemed critical of teammates or coaches can also carry fines that have prompted several players to decline to answer even positive questions about teammates. In general, many players have commented about the grinding nature of training camp. Even though there were only six two-a-day sessions, practices averaged 2 hours, 23 minutes and left those players with dead legs.

Not fun cleaning up after Hermie, is it?

R_T26 said:

You could say the same thing about coaches Lombardi, Parcells, Walsh and Belichick. Next.

And I'm sure they do! The place was a country club under Herm Edwards from things that I read about it. If Mangini's making them work hard and be accountable, then some negative reactions are to be expected.

Mangini is going to have a tough go of it. The problem is, he's never won as a HC and the players know it. He is trying to be Belichick, but when you replace a "player's coach", its never easy unless you have a cache of success at the coaching level, something he doesn't have.

R_T26 said:

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports not all the New York Jets players are happy playing for new head coach Eric Mangini. He came to town with a well-formed plan for how to build a winning NFL operation, which included a tough training camp, a multitude of rules and a template for what he wanted from his players, all of which have left some veterans in foul moods as the new season approaches. If the Jets start out slow, it's going to get ugly," said a person familiar with players on the roster. "The word is they don't like playing for this guy." "Any coach, you're going to respect," said one player who requested anonymity. "He's your head coach. He was brought here for a reason. You've got to respect him. But certain things aren't necessary to gain that respect. It's not necessary to punish people." There are also the Mangini rules, and the fines for violating those rules. Players can be docked for missing media sessions but also for talking with reporters "after hours." Being deemed critical of teammates or coaches can also carry fines that have prompted several players to decline to answer even positive questions about teammates. In general, many players have commented about the grinding nature of training camp. Even though there were only six two-a-day sessions, practices averaged 2 hours, 23 minutes and left those players with dead legs.

Mangini can pull another play out of the BB handbook and tell Randy Lange to go f*** himself.

Fanfrom1960 said:
You could say the same thing about coaches Lombardi, Parcells, Walsh and Belichick. Next.
The difference is that all those coaches delivered at game time. Mangini is setting himself up if he whips his team into shape (a good thing) but then fails to put his players in positions to succeed. It'll be one of the more interesting dramas in the NFL this season.

Good thing the New York media are patient.

That is why I think he is trying to bring in some Patriot vets to bolster his position. Guys like Hamilton and Poteat are one thing (although neither has the cache to help him). Paying top dollar to secure Branch when he spent the off season strong arming JETS vets to take pay cuts or be cut will not go over big in that locker room, especially when their bigger problems lie at QB and RB and on defense where Abraham and Law were jettisoned for financial reasons.

Gee, I wonder where we heard this before. Hmmm. . . .perhaps MIAMI circa August 2005?

Here's the beauty of this: If the team wins, this attitude changes. If the team doesn't win, these disgruntled Jets will soon be disgruntled Lions or Bengals or Bears. Oh my. . .

MoLewisrocks said:
That is why I think he is trying to bring in some Patriot vets to bolster his position. Guys like Hamilton and Poteat are one thing (although neither has the cache to help him). Paying top dollar to secure Branch when he spent the off season strong arming JETS vets to take pay cuts or be cut will not go over big in that locker room, especially when their bigger problems lie at QB and RB and on defense where Abraham and Law were jettisoned for financial reasons.

That's an excellent point I hadn't thought of.......might the Jets, with their obvious agenda to screw with NE, end up throwing their entire salary structure and template up for contentious debate amongst the players?

fgssand said:
That's an excellent point I hadn't thought of.......might the Jets, with their obvious agenda to screw with NE, end up throwing their entire salary structure and template up for contentious debate amongst the players?

Wasn't this the same stuff that was being said about Bellichick when Milloy was cut? "His players hate him," I seem to recall.

Patriotic said:
Mangini can pull another play out of the BB handbook and tell Randy Lange to go f*** himself.

I like that.........

Yawn, mumble, scratch...

Two things, Mangini ain't gonna get people winning if he schedules players for 2 hours and 23 minutes of butt rubs like Herm did. Second, It's duh Jest, as much as I'd like to see a BB protege do well, I can't get too excited about a bunch of Hermie retreads whining about working for their money before they lose their first game. Besides, the bastitchs didn't give Hank a starting job, though they did him a big favor by putting him back on BB's shadow roster.

Strahan disliked Coughlin. But if you're too easy you become Pete Carroll. Mangini will keep replacing the vets anyways until he gets his guys in there. In the end win and losses dictate people's moods.

Most Belichik ex-coaches try to recruit Pats to come to their team. Look at Crennel. And if you have to pay extra for the first coupel years then you do it. The flavor of the month is always copied. Everyone see the patriots success and wants to copy it.

Fanfrom1960 said:

Exactly. Coaching in any sport is not a popularity contest. Coaches are there to be respected, not liked. I understand that the same principles apply to the military. He will have to jettison the people who don't want to work and build the team up again. Hopefully, he'll get the years that he needs to do it.

MrBigglesWorth said:
Most Belichik ex-coaches try to recruit Pats to come to their team. Look at Crennel. And if you have to pay extra for the first coupel years then you do it. The flavor of the month is always copied. Everyone see the patriots success and wants to copy it.
Well, let's be fair - it was a Parcells-thing before it was ever a Belichick-thing. He signed-on with the Patriots, and scooped up a handful of old Giants. He went to the Jets and the first thing he did was snag Curtis Martin. Only makes sense to take players who know you and whom you know.

Sundayjack said:
Gee, I wonder where we heard this before. Hmmm. . . .perhaps MIAMI circa August 2005?

. .

Agreed. I was thinking of the Meadowlands 2004 with Coughlin and the same
b*tching when he took over. As you said, it gets muted when they start winning....
Just my $0.02,

Actually, Mangini's actions sound a lot like Belichick's.

When BB coached at Cleveland. Wouldn't be surprised if Mangini is more successful at his next HC position than he will be with the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes