Bequette, Cunningham, Francis, Scott?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The roster should only have room for 2 or 3 of the above. Anybody want to take a break from the scintillating Branch vs. Stallworth debate to discuss?

Before camp, most projections had Scott and Bequette as the shoo-ins, but it's Cunningham and Francis who have been getting the best camp notices. A big part of the question, of course, is how they project roles in the defense. If I had to predict the one personnel combo we'll see the most of I'd probably go with a front 6 of Jones, Wilfork, Love and Ninkovich on the line and Mayo and Hightower behind. And thinking in those terms, I find myself leaning toward Cunningham and Scott as my top 2 backups.

So, tell my why I'm so, so wrong.
duck.gif

Bequette will be on the roster, Cunningham is being extremely hyped, which sounds good for him, but at the same time it worries me. I do believe we've seen it before to have them dropped pretty quickly. I think Scott makes it, he's been solid if unspectacular I believe.

Last edited:
Unless he gets injured, Bequette will most certainly not be excluded from the 53-man roster. When has a third round pick ever been cut his rookie year?

I keep going back and forth between Francis and Scott, but right now I have Francis beating out Scott for a spot and Bequette + Cunningham making the team.

Bequette is basically a lock, and following that I'd rank, in order of likelihood:

Scott
Cunningham
Francis

My current 53 has Bequette, Scott, and Cunningham all making it, which all but guarantees that Bequette and Francis will be the only ones who do.

Bequette will be on the roster
Bequette is basically a lock
Unless he gets injured, Bequette will most certainly not be excluded from the 53-man roster. When has a third round pick ever been cut his rookie year?

No question, 3rd-round picks are traditionally locks. But I can't help but notice that none of you offered anything in support of Bequette beyond "he's a 3rd-round pick." By pick 90, the cap hit for cutting a rookie isn't much at all. IF it comes down to just 2 spots for those 4 players, I think it's possible.

No question, 3rd-round picks are traditionally locks. But I can't help but notice that none of you offered anything in support of Bequette beyond "he's a 3rd-round pick." By pick 90, the cap hit for cutting a rookie isn't much at all. IF it comes down to just 2 spots for those 4 players, I think it's possible.

What other reasons are you looking for? If he plays well in camp, learns the defense, busts his butt and plays well in preseason he'll make the team. Hes young, cheap, high-motor and can rush the passer. If Nink leaves after the season they'll try to slide him into the other hybrid OLB/DE type.

With all that said if he lays a big egg in camp, is totally unprofessional or does something stupid he'll be shown the door.

The other 3...you might as well put their names in a hat.

I have Francis, Scott, Key in that order

Unless he's been an absolute bust in camp, he'll be on the roster because he's a 3rd round pick. He hasn't played a snap in a game yet, you don't invest a draft pic in the 1st half of the draft and not give him time to grow and see what he's capable of.

Price was given over a year with 3 catches in a single game I believe?

Belichick's history is full of "has never happeneds." This is not a reason for anything

I don't think the issue is the cap hit. I think that the potential a player needs to possess to be considered worthy of a pick in the top 4 rounds is worth keeping him on the roster for at least a year on its own.

Bequette also hasn't laid an egg in TC so far so it's kind of a pointless argument.

What other reasons are you looking for?

Umm...something about his performance in camp, style of play, frame and athleticism, skills and potential? Pretty much anything about how he might help the football team (more than, say, Francis -- who is just as young and even cheaper)?

If "3rd round pick" were the entire story there wouldn't be much to talk about here. Or maybe we could reframe the whole competition like a joke: A 3rd-round pick, a UDFA and a UFA walk onto a football field....:)

(FWIW, I recognize the skills Bequette showed in college and I thought he was a strong pick on draft day. I'm just noting that the camp reports on him have been pretty consistently negative, and there's a ton of competition to make this roster.)

Belichick's history is full of "has never happeneds." This is not a reason for anything

It seems like only yesterday that we all KNEW that it took a good 3 years to learn to play LB, especially ILB, for the Patriots, which is why they'd never spent a high pick on an LB and never would. :)

If Francis is clearly just a better football player with more potential than Bequette, then sure, maybe Bequette doesn't make it. But whatever talent the Patriots saw in him that made him worthy of being picked where he was, I doubt that's gone away. He'd have to have a pretty atrocious camp for the Patriots to recognize that he was a blown pick mere months after it was made.

If Francis is clearly just a better football player with more potential than Bequette, then sure, maybe Bequette doesn't make it. But whatever talent the Patriots saw in him that made him worthy of being picked where he was, I doubt that's gone away. He'd have to have a pretty atrocious camp for the Patriots to recognize that he was a blown pick mere months after it was made.

I actually agree with you, and I expect he'll probably make it. I think there's an interesting dynamic in this case, though, because the Pats drafted THREE players in the DE/LB range on the first two days of this draft, plus signed a fairly significant veteran FA and a surprisingly promising UDFA. That's a ton of new blood all at once, which could make things unpredictable.

Umm...something about his performance in camp, style of play, frame and athleticism, skills and potential? Pretty much anything about how he might help the football team (more than, say, Francis -- who is just as young and even cheaper)?

If "3rd round pick" were the entire story there wouldn't be much to talk about here. Or maybe we could reframe the whole competition like a joke: A 3rd-round pick, a UDFA and a UFA walk onto a football field....:)

(FWIW, I recognize the skills Bequette showed in college and I thought he was a strong pick on draft day. I'm just noting that the camp reports on him have been pretty consistently negative, and there's a ton of competition to make this roster.)

Bequette would have to be really awful or have other issues to get cut.

Bequette could also potentially move inside in sub packages or they could even have him put on a few pounds and make it more of a permanent move.

If Francis and Cunningham earn a spot they'll make room for all of them.

Francis and Cunningham coming on strong could mean Scott is the one who gets cut. It could also mean that Andre Carter will not be back.

IIRC, Parcells cut not one but two 3rd round picks in TC in 1994.

It could also mean that Andre Carter will not be back.

I agree there are lots of options, but this could be one of the most likely options available.

Or Carter could return later in the season too. By that time the solution will have resolved itself due to injury.

Francis is the wildcard for me, although the others will have to earn a spot too.

Hate to see a promising but not quite ready guy go on IR from say a vicious hangnail injury

I agree there are lots of options, but this could be one of the most likely options available.

Or Carter could return later in the season too. By that time the solution will have resolved itself due to injury.

Francis is the wildcard for me, although the others will have to earn a spot too.

Sounds like Francis will be tough to cut and most likely wouldn't make it to the practice squad. The abundance of edge rushers could allow Carter to take the time to heal and not be rushed back. By the time he's healthy there might be a spot for him.

Last edited:
Kirwan at the practice last week had Bequette ahead of Jones so no way he isn't on the 53. Cunningham seems to be asserting himself again , he looks good but not a lock. Unless Francis is clearly better than Scott I could see Scott making it and Francis going to the PS.

The battle between Cunningham Scott and Francis will be interesting to watch in the preseason games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back