PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Benjarvus Green-Ellis: 2nd in the league in rushing touchdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanStnfrd

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
What is BJGE's contract status at year-end?

Restricted FA or ? Do the Pats have control him or does it depend on new CBA?

Re: What is BJGE's contract status at year-end?

He is a RFA. The word was that the Patriots offered to redo his contract but he wants to wait to see what the new CBA contains. Woodhead, on the other hand was not concerned with that and had his contract redone.

BJGE will receive a "qualifying offer" which is an offer that will be pre-determined by the CBA (the new one is presumably going to be different) and he may sign an "offer sheet" tendered by any other team, but the Patriots will have 7 days to match the offer.

He is a RFA. The word was that the Patriots offered to redo his contract but he wants to wait to see what the new CBA contains. Woodhead, on the other hand was not concerned with that and had his contract redone.

BJGE will receive a "qualifying offer" which is an offer that will be pre-determined by the CBA (the new one is presumably going to be different) and he may sign an "offer sheet" tendered by any other team, but the Patriots will have 7 days to match the offer.

Right now, the "status quo" (not counting this uncapped year) is that it takes four years to reach free agency. I can't imagine the owners agreeing to reduce that without some sort of major concession on the players' part.

It is possible, but I don't think it likely, so I'm guessing that, as you said, we will see BJGE getting a tender offer (and not the minimum, either).

Tied with Adrian Peterson and Peyton Hillis. :eek::eek::eek:

Who woulda thunk it. I know many may think differently but I'm starting to feel rather comfortable with BJGE and Woodhead as our core running game. Is it really necessary to pursue a premier back when you have a JAG scoring 11 TD's?

Last edited:
It wouldn't hurt to add some more depth to RBs next season with someone younger (and more durable) than Fred Taylor, but I've been quite happy with BJGE and Woodhead this season.

Benny has performed very well for us but we all know that in any other system he would be at the bottom of the depth chart. In fact it'd be a waste of money for any team to spend on this kid as he's only going to be at his best in this system.

Benny has performed very well for us but we all know that in any other system he would be at the bottom of the depth chart. In fact it'd be a waste of money for any team to spend on this kid as he's only going to be at his best in this system.

I disagree. He runs hard, is patient, and doesn't dance around in the backfield. Pretty solid runner. I don't think he'll fail in any other system and I think there are many teams where he would be #1 or #2 on the depth chart.

I'd be OK with BJGE, Woodhead, Faulk next year. I'd be OK with the Patriots adding depth to the RB corp next year, but not with a 1st or 2nd round pick. I still think there is more needed depth at CB, OLB, C, and T.

Got to think that to add depth a RB we could get one in 6th/7th round or UDFA!!!

Best rookie RBs this year are UDFA!

Why bother with the high pick :)

Got to think that to add depth a RB we could get one in 6th/7th round or UDFA!!!

Best rookie RBs this year are UDFA!

Why bother with the high pick :)

I agree. The Patriots current "RB by committee" approach is working very well, and the main strength is that it allows the team to use the player's skills in the best possible manner. You can swap out the RB based upon the play called, the situation, etc.

It's always nice to have options.

At the onset of the season Taylor spoke to the work ethic of BJGE, it shows, obviously. Prior to Mon nite, did not see many negative yards.. but, during that game he was stopped behind the line of scrimmage at least twice.

Overall, very satisfied with BJGE, but do think that for next year they need to supplement this position, whether or not #33 comes back may prove interesting. Personally, think Faulk should retire, while he still can walk.

I'm curious what is the Patriots record for rushing touchdowns in a season? It'd be awesome/funny if BJGE held that record. I couldn't find it but the most Curtis Martin had was 14 and Dillon was 13, so I'm guessing it is 14.

We need a RB who can bounce outside .Remember the game we tried to do this with Benny and it just did not work.

Speed . So a 3rd or 4th rd fast back to share carries with benny will be nice.also limits woodhead carries a bit more.I will keep kevin faulk to mentor and be the leader and in 3rd down play both faulk and woodhead.

satz

Actually pair with say jamal charles in KC as thomas is old.
any team even the eagles who have the love affair with expat will pick him to complement there speed back.another team the saints .
so he will find a job do not worry about it. he is young not a lot of miles ,picks blitz and runs hard.Even plays FB and Spl teams.

I like BJGE, i think hes doing a great job of getting some tough yards, holding onto the ball and especially following his blocks in the red zone, he spent alot of time in the film room and takes coaching well.

Woodhead is the future at 3rd down and changeup scat back.

These 2 guys over the majority of tools, but you can upgrade this unit in a couple of differant ways.

Firstly, BJGE needs some competition of sorts, BJGE is a quality back for this year, but it would be interesting to see what another back would do in his same position in training back and preseason, if only to know what he could do behind BJGE if you chose to keep him as your #1.

You need someone who can replace Morris. morris cant see the field alot which is actually a good thing, on special teams he is a pretty good blocker and is set heavier to get the really tight yards, he is getting old however and the patriots my wish to upgrade his position through the draft.

There are alot of quality runningbacks who are most likely coming out of this draft. ingram, williams, lashoure, ect will all be available in the later first and second rounds, however, with names like peyton hillis, BJGE and arian foster all being undrafted and being top 5 runningbacks in this league may lead you to believe you dont need to draft RBs early at all, so unless belichick really likes one of those backs, it might be better to improve the running game through the O-line in the draft.

BJGE is an RFA. I expect that he will agree to a long-term deal before the draft. Otherwise, he can play 2011 for the patriots at the 2nd round tender of $1.836M.

Last edited:
i want Benny and Woody back next year

not faulk, keep Woody as the 3rd down back, and have Benny as the power/goal line back, and add a young third day speedster back in the draft

thats 3 backs, maybe morris again as a FB type, but it would be nice to only devote 4 spots to the RB position, which will clear up an extra spot for a new rookie

Given the waiver-wire war that has transpired this year over Thomas Clayton, I would think he'll be a contender in the competition with Morris, Taylor and some day 2 draft picks / UDFAs for those 4th and 5th spots.

I consider Faulk a lock, though we have no idea if he'll be the same after rehab given his age.

We need a RB who can bounce outside .Remember the game we tried to do this with Benny and it just did not work.

Speed . So a 3rd or 4th rd fast back to share carries with benny will be nice.also limits woodhead carries a bit more.I will keep kevin faulk to mentor and be the leader and in 3rd down play both faulk and woodhead.

satz

I don't understand your continued persistence in thinking that BJGE can't bounce out. Didn't you see him bounce out on the left side for a 13 yard gain in the Jets game? Third quarter I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes