PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bengals' Thurman, Bucs' Cox file discrimination claims against NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Explain how it's inaccurate. Saying it's hard, but possible: how is that wrong?
It's not wrong. Any unbiased person with a brain realizes that you CAN choose not to drink but you CANNOT choose not to have cancer (or other real diseases).

Explain how it's inaccurate. Saying it's hard, but possible: how is that wrong?

It is not possible to convey just how "hard" the hard part of "hard but possible" is. Those who are using it a clearly verbally shaking their heads in contempt as they write it.

It's not wrong. Any unbiased person with a brain realizes that you CAN choose not to drink but you CANNOT choose not to have cancer (or other real diseases).
And while that may be true, it still has nothing to do with the definition of "disease".

It is not possible to convey just how "hard" the hard part of "hard but possible" is. Those who are using it a clearly verbally shaking their heads in contempt as they write it.

So it's not that it's wrong, you just want people to use more words to describe just how hard it is.

I have no contempt for addicts who want help. None.

And while that may be true, it still has nothing to do with the definition of "disease".
And patchick's post shows that the definition of disease has nothing to do with the ADA with regard to alcohol.

The physical changes to the body are a result of the behavior. Excessive drinking can certainly lead to many diseases, but that doesn't mean that alcoholism itself is a disease. Is smoking a disease? Or overeating? Or dipping tobacco? Or shooting heroin? Or working in a coal mine? Or engaging in lots of unprotected sex? All of those behaviors can lead to disease, but that doesn't mean that the choices a person makes are. If Thurman felt that he got suspended because of his jaundiced skin that resulted from cirrhosis, he might have a case. But the alcoholism? Behavior, not disease.

Alcoholics do not have the power of choice when it comes to drink or not drink. They can't just have a beer. They can't just never have a beer again. They have to seek lifelong treament, such as AA, as they will never be able to drink normally. Whether or not that makes it a disease, you be the judge. But the bottom line is they don't have the power over their behavior. If they did, do you think they'd keep drinking when it has ruined their lives and their health?

Alcoholics do not have the power of choice when it comes to drink or not drink. They can't just have a beer. They can't just never have a beer again. They have to seek lifelong treament, such as AA, as they will never be able to drink normally. Whether or not that makes it a disease, you be the judge. But the bottom line is they don't have the power over their behavior. If they did, do you think they'd keep drinking when it has ruined their lives and their health?

So they're being forced to drink? They don't actually have to choose to put drink to lips? C'mon. It's a compulsion, a strong one at that, but the alcoholic still has to make a choice to drink.

The way we're headed, we might as well protect pedophilia under the ADA, as well.

I needed to lose weight a while ago and I invented my own, radical new diet... what I did was I reduced the amount of sodas, candy and fast food I ate, and I increased the amount of exercise I did (nothing major... just going for walks and light calisthenics). This diet actually worked..!! I am thinking of writing a book and going on tour.

Eat Less. Move more. That'll be $19.95

So they're being forced to drink? They don't actually have to choose to put drink to lips? C'mon. It's a compulsion, a strong one at that, but the alcoholic still has to make a choice to drink.

The way we're headed, we might as well protect pedophilia under the ADA, as well.
Or maybe free will is an illusion.

Alcoholics do not have the power of choice when it comes to drink or not drink.
Actually they do. It's indisputable. Just don't do it. It may not be easy but they CLEARLY have the power of that choice.

If others want to call it a disease, more power to them I guess - I disagree but I can't change their mind. To say it's not their choice is just silly.

The human body like any other animal is constrained by the laws of physics. Regardless of any trendy claims (fat virus) the issue is that you cannot get fater if you take in less fuel (food & DRINK, esp ****tails) than you burn. Individuals vary widely in how much they burn different foods but the bottom line always will be eat less and exercize (move) more and you'll lose weight. I love to eat so I need to work at keeping my Welker like bod. It really is a matter of discipline but some of us enjoy food more than others and some are more efficient at burning off what we take in and some of us put the right foods in and others don't.

Alcoholics may not have the power of choice, but the only way they can get any sort of control or desire to seek treatment is to experience the consequences of their choice (which they have no power over). I am in no way suggesting they be given special treament. If anything, they should be held to stricter standards as their own actions could not only kill them, it is a danger to others and a drain on society.

They can no more stop drinking than they could stop breathing. It happens, but usually not without some sort of upheaval or treatment which is another form on upheaval.

I worked the night shift in a residential treatment center for advanced alcoholics while I was in college. We had this one guy who was completely wet-brained. Needed help feeding, hygeine, going potty, dressing, even eating to some extent. You know the one thing he could still do without any aid? Go get alcohol. I'm not kidding. We had to kick him out for going to buy liquor.

Alcoholics may not have the power of choice, but the only way they can get any sort of control or desire to seek treatment is to experience the consequences of their choice (which they have no power over). I am in no way suggesting they be given special treament. If anything, they should be held to stricter standards as their own actions could not only kill them, it is a danger to others and a drain on society.

They can no more stop drinking than they could stop breathing. It happens, but usually not without some sort of upheaval or treatment which is another form on upheaval.

I worked the night shift in a residential treatment center for advanced alcoholics while I was in college. We had this one guy who was completely wet-brained. Needed help feeding, hygeine, going potty, dressing, even eating to some extent. You know the one thing he could still do without any aid? Go get alcohol. I'm not kidding. We had to kick him out for going to buy liquor.

If an alcoholic is locked in a room with no liquor, he's not getting alcohol, because then he has no choice in the matter. The only time he has a choice is when in the presence of alcohol, where he has to choose to drink or to not drink. We can argue compulsion all we want, but the simple fact is that a drunk has to make a physical effort to remain a drunk, much like a smoker has to choose to light up.

They can no more stop drinking than they could stop breathing.
Oh stop being silly. Try holding your breath for a minute then tell me this again.

:bricks:

There it is. It's God's fault.
I didn't say that, either. If free will was an illusion, there's really no use for god.

I didn't say that, either. If free will was an illusion, there's really no use for god.

I think you have that backwards, but I refuse to drag the clusterbang of theology into this discussion.

Not only are those two players idiots, but they also have no shame. Wow, I am floored at the complete lack of integrity that some people can display.

There are many shades of crap in this world of ours... and they're only two of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back