PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bengals sign Antonio Bryant 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. I want Owens to come here, myself, but I am also realistic and don't see any way in hell that he does. Really wanted Bryant as well but that's the way the cookie crumbles. He and Ochocinco should make a great receiving duo in Cincy unless Palmer has a season like last year's. I would be all for bringing in Mason but, at this point, I really can't see us doing that either. Looks like we're looking at a receiver early on in the draft.

Thought Josh Reed was here on Monday or Tuesday. Haven't heard much from the visit.

Thought Josh Reed was here on Monday or Tuesday. Haven't heard much from the visit.

I think Reed would be a great fit as a possession receiver in our offense but there are two things here. The first is what you've already mentioned, we haven't heard anything on that front as of yet. The second is that if this offense wants to avoid the problems that plagued them last season, they better not hope that Josh Reed is going to be the Lord and savior, especially if Welker misses time at the beginning of the season. Even if Reed does sign, I would hope that the Pats go after Golden Tate (the one receiver in this draft that has the most realistic chance of making an impact right off the bat) with one of their first four picks.

I think Reed would be a great fit as a possession receiver in our offense but there are two things here. The first is what you've already mentioned, we haven't heard anything on that front as of yet. The second is that if this offense wants to avoid the problems that plagued them last season, they better not hope that Josh Reed is going to be the Lord and savior, especially if Welker misses time at the beginning of the season. Even if Reed does sign, I would hope that the Pats go after Golden Tate (the one receiver in this draft that has the most realistic chance of making an impact right off the bat) with one of their first four picks.

Agreed on Golden (Dome) Tate. Love the kid...

If not Tate, they need Mason AND Reed.

Agreed on Golden (Dome) Tate. Love the kid...

If not Tate, they need Mason AND Reed.

I'd be fine with them getting one of the two and then drafting someone in the late rounds. Then you've got:

Moss
Mason/Reed
Edelman
Best 2 of Tate/Rookie/Stanback/Aiken

That's not a bad crop, and then when Welker returns your top five are:

Moss
Welker
Mason/Reed
Edelman
Best of Tate/Rookie/Stanback/Aiken

Didn't like Aiken as a top 3, but as a #5 he's as good as you can expect, and there'd still be a chance that one of the 1st/2nd year guys beats him out for that spot.

I'd be fine with them getting one of the two and then drafting someone in the late rounds. Then you've got:

Moss
Mason/Reed
Edelman
Best 2 of Tate/Rookie/Stanback/Aiken

That's not a bad crop, and then when Welker returns your top five are:

Moss
Welker
Mason/Reed
Edelman
Best of Tate/Rookie/Stanback/Aiken

Didn't like Aiken as a top 3, but as a #5 he's as good as you can expect, and there'd still be a chance that one of the 1st/2nd year guys beats him out for that spot.

I hear you. At the end of the day, either Reed or Mason is an upgrade over who was running routes last year. I look at it this way...

I think Mason may cost a decent amount. I think Reed will cost very little. So theoretically, go after both.

I also look at the risk of 2010...and 2011

Welker may be back next year. IMO you need to plan that he is not. In addition, whatever we get from Brandon Tate would be a bonus, but I'm not counting on him. He should be back but who knows. Moss' status after this year is up in the air. So with all that said, give Reed a 2 yr deal. Mason a 1 year @ good $.

I just look at what the Saints did with all those solid receivers. If you had on Week 14, Moss and Mason wide and Welker and Reed in the slot, that would be an excellent set of WRs. Tate, Patton, Aiken, etc. can battle it out for the 5th WR.

Last edited:
This. I want Owens to come here, myself, but I am also realistic and don't see any way in hell that he does. Really wanted Bryant as well but that's the way the cookie crumbles. He and Ochocinco should make a great receiving duo in Cincy unless Palmer has a season like last year's. I would be all for bringing in Mason but, at this point, I really can't see us doing that either. Looks like we're looking at a receiver early on in the draft.

Can I ask why you want a locker room cancer like TO so badly and a horrible route runner with a bad attitude like Bryant, but you are 100% anti going after Brandon Marshall who easily laps the other two as far as talent at this point in their careers?

Last edited:
One thing I'd like to do is stop looking at next year's WRs and realize that Moss is not going to be here very long. The Patriots need two young WRs, and this year's class is the deepest in eons. After we take care of DE and OLB in our first 4 picks, we need to seriously consider taking 2 WRs either with 2 of the first 4 or a second WR in the 5th at the latest.

Come on, T.O, be a patriot. Sure he has an attitude, but noone denies his work ethic or his desire to win. (superbowl 39).

UGH!!!!

He certainly works hard at being a sphincter.

Can I ask why you want a locker room cancer like TO so badly and a horrible route runner with a bad attitude like Bryant, but you are 100% anti going after Brandon Marshall who easily laps the other two as far as talent at this point in their careers?

I actually answered you in the other thread, but I'll do again. First and foremost, one would not have to give up a first round pick for Terrell Owens. Whereas Owens might be a cancer, he has a lot of leadership on this team and I'd be willing to take my chances that it wouldn't happen like that, especially on a one year deal (which is my preference in signing Owens). On top of that, Owens track record in his first year with a team is excellent. He could have gone after the organization in Buffahole last year, especially with it's QB situation, but he didn't. On top of that, for one year at minimum dollars, it's a low risk-high reward situation. Should he be a good boy and play at the level he is still capable of, the team has what would be the best receiving corps at all time with a GOAT candidate QB whose hand weighs a few extra pounds from the three Super Bowl rings he has throwing to them. Should he act up, he can be deactivated/cut and kept away from the team just as easily as he was signed. ON TOP of all of this, Terrell Owens is not one domestic disturbance call away from a long-term suspension like Mr. Marshall is.

Mushin Muhammad anyone? 53 receptions (unlike Patten, he played last year),superb blocker. One year older than Patten-So what, they are both old. 6' 2" and 217lbs.

Laveranues Coles had 43 for the Bengals . He is a spring chicken at 32. Still has some speed.

I have a sneaky best bet. Santana Moss. He is 30. 70 receptions and we drop down in the Draft from #22 to #37 and grab him. This way the Skins can take Okung at #4 and get their QB McCoy at #22. Thoughts?

Devard Darling IRL in 2009. only 28 6'1" 213. Only 28. UFA.

DW Toys

Last edited:
Mushin Muhammad anyone? 53 receptions (unlike Patten, he played last year),superb blocker. One year older than Patten-So what, they are both old. 6' 2" and 217lbs.

Laveranues Coles had 43 for the Bengals . He is a spring chicken at 32. Still has some speed.

I have a sneaky best bet. Santana Moss. He is 30. 70 receptions and we drop down in the Draft from #22 to #37 and grab him. This way the Skins can take Okung at #4 and get their QB McCoy at #22. Thoughts?

DW Toys

No on Muhammad, not sure Coles would be a better fit for this offense than a guy like Reed, Moss is an interesting choice but I think we'd have to pay a rather hefty price in order to get him.

Bring TO to NE!

I do like the Moss thinking. His contract was restructured and with the 'Skins already paying him a chunk last year, the rest seems reasonable. Not sure if the $3.3m was or needs to be paid. My assumption was that it was paid earlier this month.

2010: $968,500 (+ $3.3315 million "signing" bonus), 2011: $1.192 million (Voidable Years), 2012: $1.4155 million, 2013: $1.639 million, 2014: Free Agent

Not crazy about swapping the 1st rounders. I think BB can do a little bit better on the deal for Moss.

I'm not sure what Mushin has left but hes had a helluva career. Could be worth a look..

Last edited:
I do like the Moss thinking. His contract was restructured and with the 'Skins already paying him a chunk this year, the rest seems reasonable.

Not crazy about swapping the 1st rounders. I think BB can do a little bit better on the deal.

I'm not sure what Mushin has left but hes had a helluva career. Could be worth a look..

I just can't see the Redskins letting Moss go without getting at least a second in return. The guy is pretty much their entire receiving corps as of right now.

I just can't see the Redskins letting Moss go without getting at least a second in return. The guy is pretty much their entire receiving corps as of right now.

'Skins would be fools to let him go. Hes still productive and cheap. However, Shanny likes his receivers big- which Moss is not.

Last edited:
Im surprised no one has really mentioned Laveraneus Coles as a possibly pick up. he is 5 years younger than both Mason and T.O., has been a reliable player, and would be had for decent money...that being said, I would still like T.O or Mason...

Mason looks like he is going to resign with Baltimore... So looks like a bunch of draft picks.. Nothing else out there..

I suspect that we are waiting on Mason to make his final decision before moving on. Josh Reed seems like a good choice if Mason won't come, as I expect he won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back