PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bengals: Carson Palmer - Torn ACL and MCL, questionable for training camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Folks, that's EXACTLY why you don't sign players to that long term of a contract.

Last edited:
Update:

http://rotoworld.com/includes/topblurbs.asp?sport=NFL

Palmer tears ACL, MCL on first pass

Carson Palmer - QB - CIN - Jan. 8 - 6:36 pm et

Carson Palmer tore his ACL and MCL during Sunday's wild card game on the second play from scrimmage.

CBS' Bonnie Bernstein initially reported that only one ligament was torn and the team expressed hope that Palmer could return by next training camp. News came from the broadcast booth later in the game that he also tore his MCL, which would delay his recovery. The quarterback needs his mobility less than most players, but training camp is an optimistic timeframe. Jan. 8 - 6:36 pm et

Last edited:
I think that the steelr player intentionally hit him in the knee on that play. I've seen it 6 times now and he dives right into it.

KDPpatsfan said:
I think that the steelr player intentionally hit him in the knee on that play. I've seen it 6 times now and he dives right into it.

I believe they pulled the same stunt on Tommy during the 2002 playoff.

It is also not a coincidence that Rodney suffered his season-ending injury against the Steelers.

We should therefore feel very fortunate that it is Indy who is playing Pits next week.

i think so as well.. its tough to tell for sure.. but from all the replays he looks to grab his leg as he hits it.. you could make a case either way but its close..

That's a shame. Unlike Indy & Pittsburgh, I don't hate Cincy, and was rooting for them. Palmer's a good player, and hopefully this doesn't ruin his career. If it was a dirty hit (I didn't see it), the player who did it should be suspended until next year.

Ouch, this one will hurt the Bengals.

I'd say that the "questionable for the start of camp" prognosis for Palmers return from this injury is VERY optimistic.

It's much more likely that Palmers rehab will extend several games into next season rehabbing from this one. Probably a PUP kinda deal.

I gotta get me an appointment with the same psychic Carson Palmer goes to!

That six-year $118.75 million contract extension last week was well timed!

Last edited:
scott99 said:
That's a shame. Unlike Indy & Pittsburgh, I don't hate Cincy, and was rooting for them.

Will that remain the case if the Pats have a few rough and tumble games with them over the next few years a' la with the Steelers and Colts? :D

mikey said:
I believe they pulled the same stunt on Tommy during the 2002 playoff.

It is also not a coincidence that Rodney suffered his season-ending injury against the Steelers.

We should therefore feel very fortunate that it is Indy who is playing Pits next week.
As I recall, it was one of our own guys who rolled into Rodney.

JoeSixPat said:
I gotta get me an appointment with the same psychic Carson Palmer goes to!

That six-year $118.75 million contract extension last week was well timed!

Particularly for a guy in his second season playing on a 6 year rookie deal. I know he looked like the real deal this season - so did Tommy after he won his second Superbowl. I guess BB is one of the few in this league who can control himself when it comes to assessing durability along with talent.

But I guess it saved them a few bucks on the cap so... :rolleyes:

But apparently Kitna will probably be able to squeeze that cash out of them now anyway since he's a FA. Schefter is saying they might be forced to franchise KITNA to ensure they don't lose him.

And Kitna looked great! NOT!!!

Franchise Kitna? That's a joke, right? Carson is a stud and he will continue to be their franchise player despite this injury. He might miss a few games next season but the contract extension will still be worth it in the end.

jczxohn1 said:
As I recall, it was one of our own guys who rolled into Rodney.

Shhhhh...you're being too rational. Stop now.

Fanfrom1960 said:
Will that remain the case if the Pats have a few rough and tumble games with them over the next few years a' la with the Steelers and Colts? :D

Oddly enough, due to the internet, my hatred for Indy & Pitt grew. I never hated Indy, they were never a factor, just like the Pats 10-15 years ago, but once I started reading the ignorant troll comments by both Colts & Steeler fans, I began to despise those teams. So yes, things can change if we play them a lot in the future and the trolls rear their ugly heads. I don't remember any Bengal's trolls from last year, they must not have left an impression, lol.

MoLewisrocks said:
Particularly for a guy in his second season playing on a 6 year rookie deal. I know he looked like the real deal this season - so did Tommy after he won his second Superbowl. I guess BB is one of the few in this league who can control himself when it comes to assessing durability along with talent.

But apparently Kitna will probably be able to squeeze that cash out of them now anyway since he's a FA. Schefter is saying they might be forced to franchise KITNA to ensure they don't lose him.
no one can assess ACL durability.. thats why teams pull qb's in blowouts... TB's ligaments are no stronger than CP's

scott99 said:
Oddly enough, due to the internet, my hatred for Indy & Pitt grew. I never hated Indy, they were never a factor, just like the Pats 10-15 years ago, but once I started reading the ignorant troll comments by both Colts & Steeler fans, I began to despise those teams. So yes, things can change if we play them a lot in the future and the trolls rear their ugly heads. I don't remember any Bengal's trolls from last year, they must not have left an impression, lol.
Just remember for all the trolls you remember talking smack, there are plenty of fans of other teams that you don't remember talking football.

pats1 said:
Folks, that's EXACTLY why you don't sign players to that long term of a contract.
The length of contract means absolutely nothing. This isn't MLB where contracts are fully guaranteed. The only thing that matters in case of injury is the guaranteed money and how bad the cap hit would be to cut the guy years early if you need to cut him. Realistically speaking, unless something goes very wrong medically for Palmer and it's 100% clear he'll never be close to the same they wouldn't consider cutting him before June 2008 anyway. We already saw this in action with Colvin, his first year back from such an injury he's not 100% and gets a pass, the 2nd year is when they evaluate how good he will be in the future and decide whether to cut him the following June.

MoLewisrocks said:
Particularly for a guy in his second season playing on a 6 year rookie deal.
Palmer had 3 years left after this year, he sat his entire rookie season.

MoLewisrocks said:

I have to think the prospect of the uncapped year and no CBA might have factored in their desire to get Palmer signed at such an odd time

But hey... it worked out for him, didn't it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes