PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bengals at Pats Wild Card game could happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzFritz

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
If Cinn beats Pitt this Sunday, Bengals can lose to Ravens and still win wild card. Ben-Jarvis would return to Foxboro!

Not unthinkable the way Roethlisberger has been playing lately.

-- FRITZ

Not gonna happen. Bengals are chokers. Seems like they always have a chance to knock off the Steelers and Ravens, yet they repeatedly don't.

Do we need a new thread for this? Pats will either play the Steelers or Bengals.

If Cinn beats Pitt this Sunday, Bengals can lose to Ravens and still win wild card. Ben-Jarvis would return to Foxboro!

Not unthinkable the way Roethlisberger has been playing lately.

-- FRITZ

The Bungles and the SD Chokers are the 2 biggest frauds in NFL playoff history

So I have spent WAAAAAAAY to much time on the playoff machine. It's actually possible for us to play Miami in the wild card game, we would have to lose to them week 17 (among other things). Realistically though the thing that seems pretty set is Indy will get the 5 seed which means their finale against the Texans won't mean anything to them. That will severely reduce our chances of getting the bye if they don't win that. I know, I know it's a long shot for the bye but hey it can still happen!

The Bengals have a very good defensive line. It would be an interesting story line for the BJGE vs Patriots run D if it did eventuate.

Do we need a new thread for this? Pats will either play the Steelers or Bengals.

Not necessarily. We could play Ravens. If Balt, Pitt and Cincy all end up at 9-7, Steelers win the division. Pitt needs to beat Cincy and Cincy needs to beat Ravens. Ravens will lose to the Giants this week making this a decent possibility. They are in free-fall and I would personally love the rematch at home.

Last edited:
So I have spent WAAAAAAAY to much time on the playoff machine. It's actually possible for us to play Miami in the wild card game, we would have to lose to them week 17 (among other things). Realistically though the thing that seems pretty set is Indy will get the 5 seed which means their finale against the Texans won't mean anything to them. That will severely reduce our chances of getting the bye if they don't win that. I know, I know it's a long shot for the bye but hey it can still happen!

Really? I didn't know Miami was still mathematically alive... that's a shocker to me.

Not necessarily. We could play Ravens. If Balt, Pitt and Cincy all end up at 9-7, Steelers win the division. Pitt needs to beat Cincy and Cincy needs to beat Ravens. Ravens will lose to the Giants this week making this a decent possibility. They are in free-fall and I would personally love the rematch at home.

And we could also play Ravens if Cincy wins out and Ravens lose out. So honestly if Ravens lose this week, they could very well be the six seed. All that needs to happen is them losing next two. They have only clinched a playoff berth (due to Cincy and Pitt playing each other this week), not their division. Not by a long shot.

Not gonna happen. Bengals are chokers. Seems like they always have a chance to knock off the Steelers and Ravens, yet they repeatedly don't.

Exactly, every big game Cincy has had against Pitt (home or away), they've "shat the bed". Heinz field makes this even more probable. If we get the 3-seed, you can bank on the Steelers visiting Foxboro and that matchup scares the "shat out of me". No way do I want to see a motivated Steeler team looking to pay amends for past heart breaks. Nope DON'T WANT !

Exactly, every big game Cincy has had against Pitt (home or away), they've "shat the bed". Heinz field makes this even more probable. If we get the 3-seed, you can bank on the Steelers visiting Foxboro and that matchup scares the "shat out of me". No way do I want to see a motivated Steeler team looking to pay amends for past heart breaks. Nope DON'T WANT !

I will admit that I wouldn't be thrilled about that possibility either.

The Steelers are getting Ike Taylor back soon, he was seen at a local sushi restuarant this afternoon without any noticable limp or walking boot. His return will be within the next couple of weeks for sure.

At any rate, their pass defense is much better with Taylor in there than without him, and they are a team who could certainly come to Foxborough and play the Pats tough.

I'd much rather play Cincy or even Indy if it fell that way.

The problem is that no matter how you look at it, they are set up for a few very tough games in a row.

I was thinking the same thing. Regardless of how the Steelers are playing, they always seem to find a way to knock off the Bengals.

The Bungles and the SD Chokers are the 2 biggest frauds in NFL playoff history

Yes, the Chargers do have some letdowns (most notably their playoff loss to the Pats in 2006 and the Jets in 2010), but they do have some quality playoff wins against Peyton in his prime (2007 and 2008).

Exactly if once a choker always choker...I have a feeling week 17 against the Dolphins might not be an important game for our Pats. I want no PART of Pittsburgh in week 1 on the Playoffs. They will be the most Dangerous low seed in the AFC. The have won the SB going that route before no thanks.

And a terrific young quarterback. Andy Dalton has better statistics this season than Roethlisberger or Flacco - Andy Dalton NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

No to mention, Andy's had the toughest time out of all rookie QB's drafted last year being in a division where he has to face both Pittsburgh's and Ravens' defenses twice a year.

Something tells me this year could be different for the Bengals. Pittsburgh just doesn't look very good to me.

could happen?

playing with the scenarios the bengals seem most likely to me

nothing about the potential 1st round matchups scares me

going to denver doesn't scare me, either....

the grind of 3 games before the SB and potential injuries is my biggest concern

could they lose? sure......but i still think they are the best team in the AFC right now (assuming a healthy gronk & dennard)

I would be surprised if this were the case. I think more likely than not, we'll get Balitmore.

I'm still hopeful for Denver choking away the bye back to us. But if I were to guess right now I think we'll be hosting the Steelers in a 3 vs 6 game on wild card weekend. One of the worst case scenarios for us this year if Ben is back to full health, they are a dangerous team. Steelers, @ Broncos, @ Texans would be a tough road in what was thought to be a weak AFC but if it's meant to happen it will.

In 2004 we faced an amazing gauntlet of teams and made through it with ease. In 2007 with what was thought to be one of the historically great teams we faced a much easier path IMO and barely won the AFC games, then lost to a wild card team. So it all comes down to us being at or near full strength and playing our best ball when it counts. Hopefully if the 2 seed can't be reached we are smart with our injured players and take advantage of clinching the division so early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots