Welcome to PatsFans.com

Benavidez: HERO of 3 wars; Delete if you hate America

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, May 28, 2010.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 6 / -9

Mods, please delete this thread if you hate America.

re: Roy P. Benavidez.

Here's a link to Roy Benaviedez' Book, "The Three Wars of Roy Benavidez".

Amazon.com: The Three Wars of Roy Benavidez (9780931722585): Roy P. Benavidez, Oscar Griffin: Books

Mods: Do you want to silence an American hero's voice? THIS weekend of all weekends? Then delete the thread.

If not, honor him for the three wars he said he fought. Don't subdivide the man or make him what he's not, some sort of symbol of your ideology. He fought three wars by his account.

Was he a villain, a coward, or a traitor in the others?

Or are you - for running from the right side of those fights?

PFnV
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Good move, by challenging mods to delete the thread they will merely troll the thread! I see what you did there, and I like it!
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

Your wife implied he was an illegal alien and politicized a thread that is about people who have served the countryh.

I banned her from the thread for spamming the thread to make a cheap political point on the graves of heros.

You seem to share her classlessness, the pathetic part is your blindness to this exploiting dead CMOH winners is despicable IMO.
  4. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Hrm, serving the empire is already political, duders.

Yeah, you really blew that one.

Why is it that people lobbing accusations of classlessness never really exhibit the esteemed attribute themelves?

PATHETIC! DISGUSTING! IMMORAL! CLASSLESS! I FEEL LIKE FROTHING AND SPRAYING OUTRAGED SPITTLE!

Sh1t, I left out DESPICABLE!

(PFInVA, sorry for hijacking your thread here, but it's PF13 so I kind of have to do my patriotic duty. :americaflag:)
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +472 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

I meant to "imply" nothing of the sort. I added some information to Jack's thread - such as the fact that it was Staff Sargent Benavidez's second tour in Nam when he was injured. I informed people that his first tour had ended when he received a serious spinal injury and was told he would never walk again.

I did, however, point out that he was of immigrant Mexican descent - and that he was orphaned at a very early age and left school in the 7th grade to become a migrant farm-hand.

I pointed out that in the current Hispanic immigration climate he might never have gotten the chance to become the hero he was....and make no mistake, he was a hero. I pointed out that there is a movement in this country to remove citizenship from children born in this country if their parents are not ctizens here.

None of what I said was uncomplimentary to the man himself - rather it was sad commentary on the way things seem to be going today.

After you banned me from the other thread I did some more research on the man - and I thank you for the push in that direction as I am more in awe of his accomplishments than ever.

In short - he was the child of a Mexican sharecropper and an Indian woman. His father died when he was 3 - his mother when he was 8. He had to attend a special school at 5 in order to learn enough English to attend a regular school. He grew up on welfare. He talks about receiving Christmas dinners from assistance programs. He left school at 13 or 14 and worked as a dishwasher in a restaurant where he was not allowed to eat because he was Mexican. When he was 16 he left his uncle's town and became a migrant farmhand. He's written books where he talks about how one of his grand-uncles fought in the war - on America's side and how his mother was a native American Indian, and yet how he was always, in the eyes of the "anglos" (his words, not mine) second class - and treated as such. Not allowed to do this, not allowed to do that. Blamed for this, blamed for that. The words, "racial profiling" come to mind.

He was, in other words, one of those "worthless, lazy, good for nothing" welfare recepients that so many people here like to talk about as if they were put on this earth to do nothing more than annoy those of us who actually work for a living.

But - he wasn't. He grew up and he persevered and he struggled and he struggled and he made it. And once he made it, he made sure that others made it, too.

And maybe those people here that we'd like to send back to Mexico shouldn't be such a quick "write off."either. Or the ones we don't want to let in at all. Maybe they, too, will turn out to be a Ray Benavidez. If they get the chance. If we give them the chance.

He's written three books about his life - one of which MrP made mention....his "3 Wars," one part of which is devoted to the hatred and prejudice he ran into growing up and the trouble he constantly got into because of it. The second part is Viet Nam. The third part is his struggle to keep his disability pension and to receive the medal he so roundly deserved.

Staff Sargent Benavidez devoted the remainder of his life to visiting schools and parent groups and talking about his life experiences - giving equal attention to his Mexican heritage and his war actions. He never failed to fight prejudice wherever he found it - or stopped trying to help other people overcome the obstacles that prejudice throws in their way.

The man was a hero in more than one respect. He was a man before he was a soldier and he was a man after he was a soldier. You should be as willing to respect him for his non-military accomplishments as for his military ones and not begrudge him having all of his history known - not just the part that makes you feel good about being an American. Heroes are not made in a vacuum. They come from somewhere - they go somewhere.

There is much in his story which should make you feel a bit ashamed about being an American, as well. The names that white people called him, the fights he had to fight for no other reason than he wasn't the right color, the restaurants that he could work in but not eat in, the hesitancy of the military to give him his medals, the government's attempt to rescind his social security disability for the grevious wounds he suffered defending our country. You should be fighting for others to have the opportunity to turn into the future's Ray Benavidez's instead of clamoring to shut the borders and throw people off the welfare rolls.

You owe him that much. He spent his life asking you to give him that much.
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What is it like to live a life with so much self-loathing?
  7. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +387 / 6 / -9

Speaking of spamming, 13, this thread is about a certain hero, not to be confused with your petty vendettas. You always have leave to delete it - through your grand magical mod powers :rolleyes: - or contribute to it, not to hijack it.

[​IMG]
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +472 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

I dunno....what's it like not to be able to go more than two threads without resorting to personal attacks which have nothing whatsoever to do with the thread topic?
  9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, this thread is about your (and your wife's) obsession to have the last word.

She took a completely non-partisan thread meant to honor veterans we have lost on Memorial Day weekend and had to turn it into her usual partisan hatred and venom. She showed she couldn't honor veterans without attacking Conservatives. She was outclassed by JackBauer, or all people. That alone speaks volumes.

Her post was deleted because it was completely inappropriate, but you just couldn't leave well enough alone. You had to come back with a ridiculous "go ahead and ban me - I dare you!" comeback thread, apparently showing us all how mature you are. :rolleyes:

Now go get in the kitchen and make me some bacon and eggs ayyyyyyargrrhghghgh.
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

You posted the thread because you wanted me to close it so you could continue whining with your wife. There was a nice post by Jack on the other thread that presented things in a non partisan way.

You seem foolish using a dead guy as a vehicle for an agenda.
  11. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +387 / 6 / -9

If you want someone to make you some bacon and eggs, shout upstairs to your mom.

I'd call her for you, but I'm busy.

:D
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +472 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

My post was no more inappropriate than this post of yours is, WP, and you know it and for you and 13 to suggest that it was after it's no longer available for anyone else to make their own judgement about it takes low class to a new low.

Jack brought up the guy - I added to it. If you find the fact that I mentioned his Mexican heritage partisan that's your problem. (And 13's, apparently.) It's not "hatred and venom" to let people know that the subject of the conversation had a life outside of the military. I would assume all veterans have a life outside of the military.

If it's "hatred and venom" to add to a conversation with additional information, or a differing opinion or point of view, then I'd expect whenever someone mentions our president and someone else comes back and refers to him as "the Crackhead-in-Chief" that you should be screaming and some moderator should be deleting. By your definition I'd also call it "hatred and venom" when someone starts a thread about DADT being abolished and someone else comes back in and suggests that if two "flamboyant obnoxious clowns" get physical out in the open that a little "friendly fire would cure that problem," and I'd expect you to be up in arms because it was "inappropriate" to offer opinion which differed from that of the thread starter.

Maybe there should be some magic icon everyone could put on their own precious little threads that warn dissention will be punished by disappearance and the dissenter will be banned from the thread.

[​IMG]
  13. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

That was funny, and probably the truth. This is his BIG LINE. It took him six months to come up with it, hes going to wear it out.
  14. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Epic. (10 chars)
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Um, actually, no. My post does none of those things. I am accurately and fairly describing your post as your made it.
    See, now you're just showing what a classless liar you are. You did not simply "mention his Mexican heritage" and leave it at that. You then turned around and insulted Conservatives in the most despicable terms. You had to take a completely no-partisan thread which was a tribute to our veterans and you had to use it to throw your venom and hatred against the right.
    Whatever you say, babycakes. Now go back in the kitchen where you belong and make me some bacon and eggs ayyyyyyarrghghghgh.
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  16. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

CLASSLESS! DESPICABLE! VETERANS! MISOGYNY!

If there was a wolfpack version of charades all you'd have to do is have spittle on your chin and some puffing up your chest cracks against women and everybody'd know the answers!
  17. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +500 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Weird thread.

Interesting sentiment. Perhaps it's because my family didn't show up here until the 1950s, but the American values by which I define myself don't include racism or bigotry. I certainly don't identify with the idea that the actions of others should define who I am.
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 1 / -9

Imagine if you will how many Minorities there are in America who just get up everyday and get on with their lives, they go to work, pay their bills, have their cookouts, wash their cars and wait for the school bus, we never hear from them, they never whine, slobber or blubber about their Race, Religion Or Skin Color they go their whole lives without ever saying "Poor Me" they are Happy Americans, they include, Hispanic, Chinese, Japanese, Blacks, Italians, Greeks, Germans, Vietnamese, Irish, and on and on.

They have an enemy bigger than the red neck racist, that enemy is THE WHITE PHONY LIBERAL DO-GOODER WHO TRYS TO FIND SMOKE WHERE THERE IS NO FIRE, THE WHITE RACE BAITER, THE WHITE TROUBLE MAKER.

BEWARE OF THE WHITE DO-GOODER THEY CAN BE VICIOUS
  19. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +387 / 6 / -9

LOT OF OPINION THERE HARRY, no substance however.

So you believe that there is some sort of liberal white conspiracy to viciously award medals of honor to overlooked minorities, who, although they earned them, are better off without medals of honor?

Or just trying to politicize a thread about overlooked heroes?

Just a plain ol' vanilla standard-issue Harry Hijack, basically.

Grow up.

PFnV
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What cracks me up about this thread is the phony "OUTRAGE" of some who seem to be engaging in some kind of worship of the dead, declaring dead people off limits in discussions about specific subjects like the military, politics, and other sacrosanct categories- especially when said dead people are "heroes" in their minds. Can't talk about dead people unless they've been dead a certain amount of time or fall into one of the favorite categories of the "OUTRAGED".... LMFAO!