PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better Watson back then Baker..Baker sucked

Would cutting Baker leave cap money or was it a 1 year deal?

What makes you say Baker sucked?

Outside of blocking was he ever really a big factor in any game?

If we need blocking sign a blocking fullback this year and get a TE who can makes plays...We need one badly

With the sucking receiver corps we had this year from #4 and down its time to get some other weapons besides just the WRs like the old days when Fauria and Wiggins had games that made a difference in the score....I relish the days when Ben Coates roamed the field...hell even Marv Cook was fun to watch and who can forget Russ Francis and what he meant to Grogan and company when Morgan was not at his best

Last edited:
Outside of blocking was he ever really a big factor in any game?

If we need blocking sign a blocking fullback this year and get a TE who can makes plays...We need one badly

With the sucking receiver corps we had this year from #4 and down its time to get some other weapons besides just the WRs like the old days when Fauria and Wiggins had games that made a difference in the score....I relish the days when Ben Coates roamed the field...hell even Marv Cook was fun to watch

He was almost never released into passing routes. He has had a few crunching blocks.

Our TE's were really underused this year- schemes had something to do with that, but Brady also had his problems with tunnel-visioning, especially on 3rd down.

IMO, he's not a JAG. He's maybe an above-average starting tight end. He's fairly athletic, but he doesn't play with nearly the type of speed he's displayed exactly twice in his career (at his pro-day, and chasing down Champ Bailey). Questionable hands. Can't seem to get open downfield, and not quick enough to get open on shorter routes. Doesn't use his body to shield defenders. Performance-wise, he's not going to be any better for this team than he's been for the past couple of years. Not a bust, but probably overdrafted, which wasn't his fault. I'd take him back for the right price, but I'm guessing he thinks he could be a star in a different system, so he's probably gone.

Last edited:
Watson can be a Top 5 TE IMO. We just didn't use him and he never complained. I would not be returning to the Pats if i were him and I don't want him to return because the Pats are wasting his talent.

Watson can be a Top 5 TE IMO. We just didn't use him and he never complained. I would not be returning to the Pats if i were him and I don't want him to return because the Pats are wasting his talent.

Just off the top of my head and in no particular order, here's a list of TE's that their teams (and most Pats fans) probably would take over Ben Watson:

Jason Witten
Dallas Clark
Heath Miller
Jermichael Finley
Vernon Davis
Dustin Keller
Tony Gonzalez
Brandon Pettigrew
Owen Daniels
Antonio Gates
Daniel Graham

That puts him slightly above average, IMO. Not top 5.

What Watson "can" be is irrelevant now. He's a 7th year player. Potential is worthless.

I've always liked him and I'd like to see him back, but if he's had enough, I'm sure the Pats can find someone.

I love the guy. Good blocker and pass catcher, freakish athleticism. I think he had a very solid 2009 and answered all of the haters. Certainly the haters will disagree, but they have to admit that the Watson complaints were far fewer this year.

It's not fair to punish a guy for being a great athlete and a first round pick. If this guy was a second round pick and ran a 4.7 the complaints would be a lot less. This guy is a good Patriot and I really hope we see him back this year.

(I also like Maroney:D)

You had me on your side until "I also like Maroney". Now, I think Watson must go.

I wonder if Ben Watson wants to stay here after being underused for the past 6 years. Or go somewhere else where he can be more part of the offense.

That's where I am too. I think it's a no-brainer that the Pats try to re-sign him. I'm just not sure that he would want to come back, when some other team will likely be able to justify paying him a lot more simply because they'll use him a lot more.

I always liked Watson and thought he was a good player for us. The Patriots probably did not get him the ball as much as we hoped but there are a lot of players who should get the ball on the Patriots. I hope he comes back.

That's where I am too. I think it's a no-brainer that the Pats try to re-sign him. I'm just not sure that he would want to come back, when some other team will likely be able to justify paying him a lot more simply because they'll use him a lot more.

The will not resign him if he wants Dan Graham dollars. If he is content with backup/part-time money he will stay.

That is generous of you. Watson isn't interest in any dollars from the patriots. He has cleaned out his locker and is looking elsewhere for employment. Unless the patriots plan on frnachising him, he will be playing elsehwere in 2010 (and will likely be used better by his new OC).

The will not resign him if he wants Dan Graham dollars. If he is content with backup/part-time money he will stay.

BB dropped the ball on Watson.

Watson has every ability to be a pro-bowler, but has been so underused that he has never really had the chance to get consistent. When he gets into the groove he's a beast.

I hope he works to improve his catching in the offseason and returns to find a new OC who can use him properly and far more regularly.

That is generous of you. Watson isn't interest in any dollars from the patriots. He has cleaned out his locker and is looking elsewhere for employment. Unless the patriots plan on frnachising him, he will be playing elsehwere in 2010 (and will likely be used better by his new OC).

How do you know that Watson isn't interested in coming back? What makes you so sure of this? That he cleaned out his locker? Lots of players clean out their lockers at the end of the season regardless wheather they are under contract or not.

Last edited:
Watson always struck me as a nice guy. He should move on to another team. The way this team has been using the tight end since 2007, the team may be better off just moving tackles out to play the position.

Unless Vrabel's available, of course. ;)

He is probably the FA on this team I am the most ambivilent about.

He's not a bad TE (decent but not dominating blocker, decent pass catcher) and if they broguht him back I wouldn't be upset. He's not a guy I look at and think an upgrade is required.

On the other hand, he's also nothing special in any way but when you look at his combine numbers. If he wants to go elsewhere he isn't irreplaceable.

I love the guy. Good blocker and pass catcher, freakish athleticism. I think he had a very solid 2009 and answered all of the haters. Certainly the haters will disagree, but they have to admit that the Watson complaints were far fewer this year.

It's not fair to punish a guy for being a great athlete and a first round pick. If this guy was a second round pick and ran a 4.7 the complaints would be a lot less. This guy is a good Patriot and I really hope we see him back this year.

(I also like Maroney:D)

I think they need to move him or make him a backup. He's no dallas clark, jason witten, antonio gates or jermichael finley. No one is afraid of Benjamin Watson. no one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back