PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Watson as our #2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSU

On the Roster
Reaction score
What's wrong with having Ben Watson replace Givens as the #2 receiver? With Givens having left for the Titans I kinda like this idea. Could you imagine this guy on a crackback situation?......He's bigger and faster then Givens was and he knows the system by now. Just thought of this and curious as to what you guys think.

Because he's a TE not a WR. He may have the straight speed but he doesn't have the quickness, suddeness, etc, of a WR. No way.

re

It would be interesting to line Watson out wide, throw him a quick pass, and see him run over defenders.

maverick4 said:
It would be interesting to line Watson out wide, throw him a quick pass, and see him run over defenders.

Not that I believe it is a viable option. But I would laugh my ass off seeing 5 foot 9 inch 185 lbs corner try hitting him head on.

I'd laugh my ass off even more seeing him outrun them!

I was looking forward to maybe seeing Watson line up in a 4 or 5 receiver set. I'm still hoping we see it now and then. But as a #2 no...no way like BelichickFan says it would be hard. If Brady gets blitzed it's just not enough time.

Now TE Vernon Lewis...he may be able to do it...it will be fun to watch.

Don't think BB and Co. could work on this?.........Not trying to be confrontational here but I love to thinK of opposing defenses having to look at this. With Big Ben being somewhat fragile (yes, I expect rude comments to this) since we've had him I think this would be something to consider. I'm not in panic mode yet, but with Deion and Bethel as are only remaining wr's at this point I would surmise BB as something in the making!

I agree with the general consensus here. While it's a terrific idea, and one visited last year after the draft, as some pointed out back then, there's more to WR than just a blazing 40-time. Again, I'd love to see it, but Ben is a TE with a terrific skill set FOR A TE. As a WR, I don't think so.

He's a tight end, not a wide receiver. He's never gonna be a wide receiver. Relax already, the Pats will address the WR spot. :rocker:

I'm looking for Watson to be the centerpiece of a flea flicker/ staue of liberty play where the ball gets snapped to the fullback who pitches it out to the WR and he runs back behind the center and hands off to the QB who underhands to Watson as he stands there with his arm in the air and then Watson runs at the LB and as the linebacker gets close Watson tosses the ball over the LB's head as the confused LB looks around for it and now Watson gets hsi own self pass and runs down the sideline....I think that would be a great play and I hope the Patriots try it because, well gosh, we just have to do something else because we don't have any of the old players and there's no new guys and I'm scared and I want to see some changes....what do you guys think?

:beersign:

Joker said:
I'm looking for Watson to be the centerpiece of a flea flicker/ staue of liberty play where the ball gets snapped to the fullback who pitches it out to the WR and he runs back behind the center and hands off to the QB who underhands to Watson as he stands there with his arm in the air and then Watson runs at the LB and as the linebacker gets close Watson tosses the ball over the LB's head as the confused LB looks around for it and now Watson gets hsi own self pass and runs down the sideline....I think that would be a great play and I hope the Patriots try it because, well gosh, we just have to do something else because we don't have any of the old players and there's no new guys and I'm scared and I want to see some changes....what do you guys think?

Any way we can work Ken Walter in there some place?

Now Lining up at WR, Bugs Bunny. At OLB, Bugs Bunny. At ILB, Bugs Bunny, At Kicker, Bugs Bunny.

Ahhh helll. you get the gist...
*LOL*

Of course....use Walter as the QB....Brady is fading fast, if last season was any indication...plus we always have the pitch back to Flutie, drop kick for a FG if the LB stuffs Watson

looking to statue of liberty plays, flea flickers and TE's at WR. Wow! This is not a sandlot team. It is a playoff team with an excellent set of offense schemes.

And BTW, Faulk would be a much better WR than Watson.

I do agree that Watson on a TE screen is a play that will be used a few times this year.

It depends on what you mean by #2

Ben Coates had a few years with 80+ catches - but that didn't make him a WR nor did it mean we didn't have a #2 WR

We need more than 1 WR, and we will have more than 1 WR

JoeSixPat said:
It depends on what you mean by #2

Ben Coates had a few years with 80+ catches - but that didn't make him a WR nor did it mean we didn't have a #2 WR

We need more than 1 WR, and we will have more than 1 WR

I agree with this. I've said this before. I'm not really looking at Watson being a #2 WR but a #2 Option. With the years Ben Coates had here, he may not even be a #2 Option IF Watson can get open consistently.

I've said this for years now

And BTW, Faulk would be a much better WR than Watson.

--------------------------------------------------------
YES! Faulk would fit right in with the WRs and has very good hands.

smg93 said:
I agree with this. I've said this before. I'm not really looking at Watson being a #2 WR but a #2 Option. With the years Ben Coates had here, he may not even be a #2 Option IF Watson can get open consistently.

Part of the reason your TEs get open is because defenders have to worry about up to 3+ other legitimate WR threats on the field. Ben Coates did it (I think) with defenders also keying on Terry Glenn, Shawn Jefferson and Troy Brown in his prime, not to mention Curtis Martin as a RB option.

As good as Branch is, he's not going to demand the equivilent coverage of all of the above

PSU said:
What's wrong with having Ben Watson replace Givens as the #2 receiver? With Givens having left for the Titans I kinda like this idea. Could you imagine this guy on a crackback situation?......He's bigger and faster then Givens was and he knows the system by now. Just thought of this and curious as to what you guys think.

What Watson can do is confuse the defense by making a 2 TE set into a 3 WR set by using some motion. He could also turn a 2 TE set or a 3 WR set into a 2 RB set by using motion. In a perfect (injury free) world I think this is what the Pats offense would like to do. Which would explain why they don't seem terribly concerned about WR's.

Thsi has been brought up twice in the past couple of weeks. It was greeted with total negitivity on this board.

It look like things have softened this time. If we bring it up three more times he'll be our #1 WR.:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back