PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Roethlisberger Injured in Motorcycle Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sick about his injuries...broken teeth? Broken jaw, facial broken bones (sinus?). This will knock him out for a year at least.

Plus how do you fix broken teeth? Have to get caps or false teeth?

I wish him Godspeed.

I wonder if it's Kharmic payback for that dirty hit on Palmer.

You wear a helmet most of your life for your job. But you can't wear one when riding your motorcycle? I feel bad that the guy is hurt but I mean c'mon...what were ya thinking?

Tunescribe said:
Instead of Hyabusa they should've named it Sayanara.

Why do you think many ER docs call them donorcycles?

As Tyler said, he wears a helmet for his day job. Why couldn't he wear it in an even more dangerous hobby?

Tyler Faith said:
You wear a helmet most of your life for your job. But you can't wear one when riding your motorcycle? I feel bad that the guy is hurt but I mean c'mon...what were ya thinking?
The Jim Rome show is full of news today: latest is a police report that Ben may not even have had a license to drive a motorcycle. He reportedly had a learner's permit that expired March 29. Rome did say that this report was unconfirmed, but I don't think you (even Rome) mention something on national radio that has little or no substance. I'll try to catch the rest of his ptogram (over at 12 Pacific).

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Steelers | Roethlisberger reportedly without a Pa. motorcycle license
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:59:46 -0700

KDKA.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (head, knee) apparently does not possess a Pennsylvania motorcycle license. Sources say Roethlisberger does have a license to operate a car. City accident investigators are not commenting, but a confidential source told KDKA that a review of motor vehicle record in Harrisburg, Pa., shows he has never had a Pennsylvania motorcycle license. The source said he had a learner's permit that allowed him to ride a motorcycle, but the permit expired March 29.

Last edited:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 2:06 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 2:22 p.m. EDT,June 13, 2006
TECHNICALLY, LAW REQUIRED BEN TO WEAR HELMET?

In light of the KDKA-TV report that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not have a license to operate a motorcycle, it appears that the Pennsylvania law exempting certain motorcyclists from wearing a helmet did not apply to Big Ben.

Which means that, under the law, he should have had a helmet on.

As it's written, the relevant Pennsylvania statute requires riders to wear protective gear, including a helmet. But the law creates an exception for the following categories of persons: (1) a person over the age of 21 who has been licensed to operate a motorcycle for at least two years; or (2) a person over the age of 21 who has completed an approved a motorcycle rider safety course.

If Roethlisberger had not completed an motorcycle rider safety course, he did not qualify for the exemption, since it appears that he has not held a license to operate a motorcycle for the requisite two years.

Thanks to the reader who pointed this out to us -- and thanks to everyone who has been e-mailing to us new information regarding this story.

Last edited:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 2:06 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 2:22 p.m. EDT,June 13, 2006
BIG BEN WILL BE READY FOR FINS

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be able to play in the 2006 regular season opener on September 7 against the Miami Dolphins.

Citing unnamed sources, Bouchette reports that the injuries are confined to Roethlisberger's face, and that published reports of potentially serious knee and shoulder injuries were incorrect.

In short, Ben is one lucky bastard. Dumb as a twice-baked potato, but lucky nevertheless.

Bouchette also reports that the surgery required seven hours due in part to efforts by surgeons to ensure a faster recovery time. Roethlisberger is expected to miss the preseason opener, but he will be able to participate in training camp.

Last edited:
"Dumb as a twice baked potato" I like that, I'll have to file that one away.

Last edited:
Roethlisberger is an idiot and he asked for his injury. Maybe this will wise this moron up, if not, he deserves to have it happen to him again. I have no tolerance for morons like this idiot. Maybe he wants to play football without a helmet, too.

shakadave said:
Right. He heroically recovers from what "fate" dealt him due to bad luck alone, not stupidity.

I think he will report to training camp about 1-2 weeks late, and otherwise have a normal season. I bet his knees are OK because no major players on Patriots' rivals ever get bad injuries --- that happens only to us.

[I had also said I thought he had a concussion.] Today's news backs up my crystal ball:

"Roethlisberger might miss part or most of training camp but could be ready for the Sept. 7 opener against Miami.

Dr. Larry Jones, the chief of Mercy Hospital's trauma unit, said Roethlisberger's brain was functioning normally, although the QB has a concussion.

Pats726 said:
5 surgeon's and 7 hrs...on his face..jaw...a LOT of surgery!!!! Sounds serious...NOT life threatening ..but long recovery..

Suddenly he'll look like Pamela Anderson!

Does anybody know the FINAL rundown on his injuries (particularily as they apply to football)? At first I heard his knees were "seriously" damaged, but now I've been hearing that in football terms he's fine.

I hope he's okay, not just as a human being, but so that the Steelers don't have this to lean on when they don't do spectacularily well next season.

That's right, I said spectacularily.

CheerforTom said:
That's right, I said spectacularily.

I know, and you spelled it wrong both times. ;)

Moronic post HERE but a good response in the comments section.

Doctors said there was nothing structurally wrong with the knees. They might be sprained, but even if they are they'd be healed before his face probably is.

As for the face he has a broken upper and lower jaw, facial fractures, two teeth gone completely, a few chipped teeth and some lacerations.

No other injuries besides the ones to the face were listed.

madmike77 said:
No other injuries besides the ones to the face were listed.

He probably won't look any different, he was a pretty homely guy to begin with. I'll bet every other biker in the NFL is pissed at him over this, since they'll likely face contract restrictions prohibiting motorcycle riding. I can just see some defensive lineman looming over Ben after a sack, "That's for making me sell my Harley 9000 Turbo!"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060615/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_steelers_roethlisberger_accident

Roethlisberger contrite, say's he's lucky
By JOE MANDAK, Associated Press Writer
13 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH - Ben Roethlisberger apologized to the Pittsburgh Steelers, fans and his family hours after being released from a hospital Thursday, saying he was fortunate to be alive and promising to wear a helmet if he ever again rides a motorcycle.

"In the past few days, I've gained a new perspective on life," the Super Bowl-winning quarterback said in a statement released by the team. "By the grace of God, I'm fortunate to be alive ... "

Roethlisberger, who wrecked his bike and cracked his head on a car windshield on Monday, was discharged Wednesday night.

The youngest quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl was not wearing a helmet when he crashed into a car that was turning left in front of his motorcycle.

He said in the statement that if he ever rides a motorcycle again "it certainly will be with a helmet."

Doctors said two rounds of tests showed no brain injuries, although there was a mild concussion. Doctors used small titanium plates and screws to reassemble Roethlisberger's broken jaws and repaired other broken facial bones. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others, doctors said.

In the statement, Roethlisberger said that he realizes he has a responsibility to safeguard his health in the offseason so he can continue to lead the team.

"I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle and simply believed such an accident would not happen to me," he said in the four-paragraph statement.

He went on to thank the Steelers organization and his teammates for their "compassion" and said the doctors and support staff at Mercy Hospital were amazing.

He said he is committed to a complete and timely recovery.

"I look forward to being at training camp in Latrobe and winning football games this season," he said.

Last edited:
Unpleasant Nitty Gritty

PFnVChick, a wholly owned subsidiary of PFnV, who use to work in an ER, just told me the following:

"Yeah you know what the metal plates mean? Not enough left to repair. They didn't wire that shut because they basically rebuilt from scratch."

Okay, I wish nothing but good things for Ben in the future, providing he's not playing us. That said... yikes. I dunno that you want to count on the knees being the issue here. Vision's important to a QB, number 1 - what do we know about his vision? How about mental quickness? And then there's pure physical plant... some QBs get knocked off the field after say 3 concussions. Well, Ben had one of them, and having his head held together with screws and plates sounds like the other 2, right there.

Okay, I've said it. Maybe he comes back early this season. Something tells me that's just nuts. Maybe even just plain dangerous.

Okay, done now

PFnV

Forgot to mention, PFnVChick actually treated Matt Light's kid a couple years ago, in Indiana. So she says anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye