PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll give you BJGE has been two different backs this season. In four games he's looked terrible. Yet he's out performed Adrian Peterson, Rashard Mendenhall, and Ronnie Brown in the respective games.

I don't agree a 34 year old Fred Taylor is "worlds better" than BJGE 4.2ypc.
Give BJGE a few more starts to see if he gains consistency. He's either had a 6ypc or a 2ypc.

Robertweathers, I ment a back that gives the main back a few carries for rest. (Gerhart, etc.)

I don't know what outperforming the opposing RB means. BJGE didn't run against the Pats' defense.

The 4.2 YPC is deceiving because he has had two games with off the charts YPC (against Buffalo and Minnesota). Give me a RB who runs for 4.0 YPC consistently than a guy who runs for 6.0 YPC one week and then 2.0 YPC the next. He has yet to show consistency and never has. That is his biggest problem. Even Sunday night, he was the picture of inconsistency.

I meant behind the Pats' line, not the Broncos' crappy line. But I stand corrected. Both BJGE and Maroney have been mediocre to crappy this year.

What kind of idiotic statement is this?

BJGE has 6 TDs this season. Taylor has not gotten that many since 2003, and he has been averaging around 200 attempts, so no arguing he split time with MJD.

Also he has been averaging 4.2 yards, the same amount Taylor averaged last year, so if you call BJGE "meidocre to crappy" then Taylor is also "mediocre to crappy" and also less because he only had 4 TDs all of last year while BJGE has 6 at slightly past the halfway point of this season.

BJGE has zero fumbles up to this point; oh yeah that's horrible.

I don't know what outperforming the opposing RB means. BJGE didn't run against the Pats' defense.

The 4.2 YPC is deceiving because he has had two games with off the charts YPC (against Buffalo and Minnesota). Give me a RB who runs for 4.0 YPC consistently than a guy who runs for 6.0 YPC one week and then 2.0 YPC the next. He has yet to show consistency and never has. That is his biggest problem. Even Sunday night, he was the picture of inconsistency.

Taylor was not consistent last year either.

You won't find many RBs that give a 4.0 ypc consistent. Check out Chris Johnson's game logs.

Running the for the most yards and ypc against one of the best rushing defenses ever through a half of a season isn't inconsistent.

I agree that BJGE still needs to be more consistient seeing cutback lanes but I think you need to look at the teams that he ran against. BAL, CLE, SD and NYJ- all who have strong defenses or know our run-blocking schemes intimately (CLE).

Overall, when the guy gets over 16 carries hes done pretty well as opposed to him getting 16 carries and 30 yds.

Last edited:

BJGE has 6 TDs this season. Taylor has not gotten that many since 2003, and he has been averaging around 200 attempts, so no arguing he split time with MJD.

Also he has been averaging 4.2 yards, the same amount Taylor averaged last year, so if you call BJGE "meidocre to crappy" then Taylor is also "mediocre to crappy" and also less because he only had 4 TDs all of last year while BJGE has 6 at slightly past the halfway point of this season.

Taylor is clearly worlds better because he got his average YPC consistently. He didn't rush for 2 YPC or less for half his games and 4 YPC or more for the other half like BJGE does. Stats in the NFL lie. Taylor is consistent when healthy. BJGE is wildly inconsistent.

As for Taylor's TD totals, could that be in part because Maurice Jones Drew has been the goalline RB in Jacksonville since 2006? Three of BJGE's TDs were for 2 yards or less. One other was for 7 yards. Typically, Taylor doesn't see the field in these situations and hasn't for years. You can't compare the two without looking at the roles of the two. Taylor has been more of an open field RB for years and typically doesn't play many plays deep in the red zone.

You won't find many RBs that give a 4.0 ypc consistent. Check out Chris Johnson's game logs.

Running the for the most yards and ypc against one of the best rushing defenses ever through a half of a season isn't inconsistent.

You won't find many starting RBs who give you 2.0 YPC or less more than one, maybe two games in a season. Yes, they might see 3.0 or 3.5, but 1.6?

As for the second half of the Steelers game, could also have to do with Brady picking apart the Steelers defense and them not respecting the run to defend the pass. In the first half when it was close, they were shutting down BJGE other than his first run.

Last edited:
Taylor was not consistent last year either.

Far more consistent than BJGE. His worst game was a 2.8 YPC (BJGE has had 4 games where his average was less than that). Other than that, he never went below 3.2 YPC. And he was injured for most of the season.

Last edited:

This did me in Rob, like he said, calling BJGE mediocre to crappy so far this season is a joke. I don't get the hate for the guy.

Good note that he hasn't fumbled his entire career.

Random fact: Benny has three of the four longest runs against the Steelers this season (17, 13, 13) and the most rushing yards allowed by the Steelers (87). I'll take it ;)

This did me in Rob, like he said, calling BJGE mediocre to crappy so far this season is a joke. I don't get the hate for the guy.

Good note that he hasn't fumbled his entire career.

He has had a few very good games and just as many disasters. Mediocre to crappy for the entire season is unfair, but he has been mediocre for a large portion of the season while having good games another portion of the season.

It is a good note that he hasn't fumbled his entire career, but he has 112 career carries which is about half a season for most lead backs.

The funny thing is that last year even before his fumbling problems, Maroney was rushing better than BJGE is this year (although he had only 4 TDs before he started to fumble) and everyone wanted him benched and called him horrible.

Last edited:
He has had a few very good games and just as many disasters. Mediocre to crappy for the entire season is unfair, but he has been mediocre for a large portion of the season while having good games another portion of the season.

It is a good note that he hasn't fumbled his entire career, but he has 112 career carries which is about half a season for most lead backs.

The funny thing is that last year even before his fumbling problems, Maroney was rushing better than BJGE is this year (although he had only 4 TDs before he started to fumble) and everyone wanted him benched and called him horrible.

How has Maroney been better? He averaged 3.9 YPC in his last year and had 9 TD's. BJGE is on pace to eclipse both stats.

Far more consistent than BJGE. His worst game was a 2.8 YPC (BJGE has had 4 games where his average was less than that). Other than that, he never went below 3.2 YPC. And he was injured for most of the season.

To be fair, BJGE is not an elite RB, but neither is he "mediocre" or "crappy." I never went as far as calling him that, but in terms of his UDFA status and with what tools he has, he has worked very hard and deserved to be applauded.

It is very unfair to call him "mediocre" because his results have been near the top end of the RB stats in this league for this year.. he is in the top 10 or near it in most areas.

How has Maroney been better? He averaged 3.9 YPC in his last year and had 9 TD's. BJGE is on pace to eclipse both stats.

Maroney was far more consistent last year than BJGE. That is why he was better. I think consistency is a huge thing with lead backs and that is why I am so down on BJGE. He lacks it. What good is a great average if your lead back is more likely to rush for under 25 yards in a game than he is to rush for over 90?

Maroney was far more consistent last year than BJGE. That is why he was better. I think consistency is a huge thing with lead backs and that is why I am so down on BJGE. He lacks it. What good is a great average if your lead back is more likely to rush for under 25 yards in a game than he is to rush for over 90?

If Maroney was far more consistent than BJGE why is he so hated? Why were there so many threads attacking him?

Maroney was the furthest thing from consistency.

To be fair, BJGE is not an elite RB, but neither is he "mediocre" or "crappy." I never went as far as calling him that, but in terms of his UDFA status and with what tools he has, he has worked very hard and deserved to be applauded.

It is very unfair to call him "mediocre" because his results have been near the top end of the RB stats in this league for this year.. he is in the top 10 or near it in most areas.

Is below average ok?

He isn't in the top 10 in most categories. He is 18th in rushing yards, 26th in YPG, 18th in 20+ yards rushes, tied for 29th with a ton of RBs who all have no rushes for 40 yards or more, and not listed in YPA (although I don't have a list of lead backs only which makes the ranking skewed since the leader in this category is a punter who rushed for 68 YPC on one carry). He is only in the top 10 for TDs (7th) and fewest fumbles (tied for first with 0).

I'm sorry, but if Maroney had this year people would be calling for his head. Because BJGE is everyone's binkie, they give him credit for below average play.

Last edited:
If Maroney was far more consistent than BJGE why is he so hated? Why were there so many threads attacking him?

Maroney was the furthest thing from consistency.

Maroney was so hated because he was a first round pick while BJGE is an UDFA. If Maroney was having the year that BJGE is having, he would be crucified on this board. It is all about expectations vs. production. Maroney should be a stud RB and BJGE is the little engine that could. You switch the draft position on the guys and Maroney would be everyone's binkie and BJGE would be a loser.

Maroney wasn't all that consistent himself and wasn't worth his draft position, but he was a better player than BJGE and more consistent. Maroney's biggest fault was being drafted in the first round and not living up to that draft status.

Personally, I wouldn't want either Maroney or BJGE as the lead back. I'd rather have a healthy Taylor over either one (and I would prefer someone else over Taylor). I don't think either Maroney or BJGE are suited to be anything more than a change of pace back in this league at this point. Belichick has gotten production on a limited basis from change of pace backs and that is why BJGE can perform sometimes and not others.

Last edited:
Is below average ok?

He isn't in the top 10 in most categories. He is 18th in rushing yards, 26th in YPG, 18th in 20+ yards rushes, tied for 29th with a ton of RBs who all have no rushes for 40 yards or more, and not listed in YPA (although I don't have a list of lead backs only which makes the ranking skewed since the leader in this category is a punter who rushed for 68 YPC on one carry). He is only in the top 10 for TDs (7th) and fewest fumbles (tied for first with 0).

I'm sorry, but if Maroney had this year people would be calling for his head. Because BJGE is everyone's binkie, they give him credit for below average play.

In the larger picture, BJGE is on pace to run for over 800 yards and collect over 10+ TDs. Thats functional/average IMO. It certainly isn't great, but it's not sub-standard.

Maroney in Denver this year is sub-standard.

Is below average ok?

Those rankings are cumulative, not average which is not fair because BJGE is 20th in attempts.

6 TDs is tied for 3rd and 4.2 YPC: how is that below average?

In the larger picture, BJGE is on pace to run for over 800 yards and collect over 10+ TDs. Thats functional/average IMO. It certainly isn't great, but it's not sub-standard.

Maroney in Denver this year is sub-standard.

That is below average at least in terms of yards. Last year, Jerome Harrison was the 20th ranked RB in terms of yards with 862 (and Harrison only played 14 games last year). BJGE is on pace for about 830-840 in 16 games. The TDs would put him close to or in the top 10 though. Joseph Addai and a few others were tied for 9th with 10 TDs last year.

Maroney had 745 yards and 6 TDs last year while only playing 14 games and most people on this board considered that disgraceful. BJGE is on pace for about 80 more yards in two more games (granted 4-5 more TDs, but be is the Pats goalline RB right now) and people think he is great. Maroney in 13 games had as many yards as BJGE is on pace for and he played 13 games that year and many consider that a horrible season too.

Tell me that it isn't perception based on draft position over actual production. Maroney is a bum while BJGE is great for rushing for similiar stats.

Maroney this year has sucked, but everyone has sucked in Denver running the ball. Knowshon Moreno got his first over 60 yards game on Sunday vs. the Chiefs because he rushed a lot in garbage time, but otherwise no one has been able to run for anything in Denver. It isn't all Maroney's fault. But then again, I don't think Maroney is the answer for lead back either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back