PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Grubbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on board. Better get ready to duck though...

Seriously though, the only player who might be there @ 24 (this being The Ides of March, 6.5 weeks before the draft) that I would take before him would be Darrelle Revis. JMO. He would be a difference maker in the center of our line for the next 5 years, and we haven't had that type of OLineman in years.

He sounds good, and as if he could become a better pass blocker than Stephen Neal -- but I doubt he'd be enough of an upgrade to wind up as best value when we have so many forthcoming holes to fill on defense.

He sounds good, and as if he could become a better pass blocker than Stephen Neal -- but I doubt he'd be enough of an upgrade to wind up as best value when we have so many forthcoming holes to fill on defense.
Define value please?

I've actually thought NE might take Ben Grubbs or Justin Harrell with their 28th pick. But, only if their aren't more talented players available.

I've actually thought NE might take Ben Grubbs or Justin Harrell with their 28th pick. But, only if their aren't more talented players available.

Hate to keep answering questions w/ questions but who do you think is more valuable?

I have Griffin & Meriweather off my board for different reasons. Nelson, I would certainly question whether he has more value esp. since I think @ 91 there will be several Safeties I like who I feel will have close to the same impact. It is supposed to be an excellent draft for WR's, but we have 5 (plus Troy) who you would think would make the team. @ LB I am not convinced that anyone we draft @ 24, or 28 will make any type of short term impact. RB, we are 5 deep w/ veterans. TE, we have 3.5. CB, we could use. But do you want the pontential 4-5th best player @ their position, or the best?

I have wondered about him, we are pretty solid at Guard, weaker on the edges. Some questions for you:
How does this impact the O Line?
Where does he play?
Does this make Mankins to tackle?

Would it ever mess with our heads if they took a DT like Justin Harrell and an OG Ben Grubbs.

If Grubbs is better than Neal or Hochstein or Yates, then he'll make the team. I don't buy the argument since these guys have contracts, or because they were good soldiers, or because the coaching staff like them, that they can't be cut or traded. A middle of the OL consisting of Grubbs-Koppen-Mankins would be a dominant unit for the next five years.

The first guy I'm targeting is Carriker. If he goes off the board in the top 15, I'm then looking at the next group, which consists of Revis, Meachem, and Spencer.

If those four guys are off the board, and they probably will be, it's time to consider drafting Grubbs as the best player available.

Last edited:
I saw a lot of Auburn games this year and he was very impressive. He also looked better than anybody else in the position drills at the Senior Bowl, very fluid.

He has good size

Ht: 6-3 Wt: 311

He didn't do the short shuttle, 3-cone, or vertical jump at the combine. I couldn't find any numbers for his pro day on these but I'd be interested. He comes off the ball really well and has excellent balance so I wonder if he could play RT as well.

I saw a lot of Auburn games this year and he was very impressive. He also looked better than anybody else in the position drills at the Senior Bowl, very fluid.

He has good size

Ht: 6-3 Wt: 311

He didn't do the short shuttle, 3-cone, or vertical jump at the combine. I couldn't find any numbers for his pro day on these but I'd be interested. He comes off the ball really well and has excellent balance so I wonder if he could play RT as well.

Arkansas and Auburn Pro-Day results:

http://fflivewire.com/Article.asp?ID=3132007rpj7624ok

If Grubbs is better than Neal or Hochstein or Yates, then he'll make the team. I don't buy the argument since these guys have contracts, or because they were good soldiers, or because the coaching staff like them, that they can't be cut or traded.
While I agree with what you said, the more important part of it is that if the coaching staff liked Neal enough to give him a good money extension just a year ago, they must like him enough to not be looking to replace him. It's not the fact that he has a good contract that should keep us from replacing him, it's the fact that he was liked enough by the staff to get a good contract that should keep us from replacing him.

IMO the strength of the Pats O-line is their interior 3. What is the difference between Grubbs, Blalock and Sears? if anything, Sears and Blalock seem like better options due to more versatility (the ability to play Tackle). Interesting note on Mankins: Mankins has the biggest hands of any Lineman I have read about in recent years, over 11 3/8". Size of hands indicates natural strength, and broad bone structure, which seems to translate better to football leverage than the manufactured weight room strength indicated by 225 repetitons.

Last edited:
What is the difference between Grubbs, Blalock and Sears?

The more I research O-Lineman, the more it seems that hand size, reach, and agility drills (combined with game tape) are the best indicators of pro LT talent.

You answered the question right after you asked it. The difference is on the playing field.

You answered the question right after you asked it. The difference is on the playing field.

What do you think separates Grubbs from the other two?

Last edited:
Ben Grubbs 6'3" (314 pounds)
40: 5.10
4.78 short shuttle
7.70 three-cone drill

Mankins, Logan (OG) Fresno State 6'4" 307
40: 5.06
Short shuttle:4.45
3-Cone: 7.54

Interestingly (for me at least) of the top OG prospects, Manny Ramirez of TTech has the biggest hands at 10 5/8 and the most weight room strength. He played in the spread offense and is used to blocking in space. He looked gassed during Senior Bowl drills, so his stamina may be an issue, but hie more than held his own and his raw talent seems impressive.

Interestingly (for me at least) of the top OG prospects, Manny Ramirez of TTech has the biggest hands at 10 5/8 and the most weight room strength. He played in the spread offense and is used to blocking in space. He looked gassed during Senior Bowl drills, so his stamina may be an issue, but hie more than held his own and his raw talent seems impressive.

He is interesting, but it is going to be quite a transition for him as TX Tech runs a unique offense. From scouts inc summary:

" Ramirez lacks great balance and he failed to show improvement in his technique as a senior. Furthermore, he will have a big adjustment to make as an NFL player coming from Texas Tech's spread offensive attack..."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=11065

Hate to keep answering questions w/ questions but who do you think is more valuable?

I have Griffin & Meriweather off my board for different reasons. Nelson, I would certainly question whether he has more value esp. since I think @ 91 there will be several Safeties I like who I feel will have close to the same impact. It is supposed to be an excellent draft for WR's, but we have 5 (plus Troy) who you would think would make the team. @ LB I am not convinced that anyone we draft @ 24, or 28 will make any type of short term impact. RB, we are 5 deep w/ veterans. TE, we have 3.5. CB, we could use. But do you want the pontential 4-5th best player @ their position, or the best?

BB usually drafts guys who rotate year one, and start one, or two years later.

If there didn't seem to be any of the top players left at S, CB, or LB I would probably take Ryan Kalil, Grubbs, or Justin Harrell.

Right now I would take any of these players, if they're available (players do slide people):

Willis (would trade into the 14-18 range for him)

Landry (would trade into the 14-18 range for him)

Carriker (If he slides to 24. I would not trade up for him.)

Timmons (I think Timmons could be an impact player, and good rotational OLB straight out of college, but he would be a two year project at ILB. Maybe he would replace Vrabel two years from now as the second versatile LB on the corp, with AD being the other).

Revis (For NE's system I can't see a better CB in the first round.)

Houston (Second best CB for NE's system. Can play very physical at times, and locks people down in man coverage, but can he develop at Zone? Personally I think they need to play more man/press coverage, anyways.)

Spencer (He can play 3-4 ILB, has good penetration, and plays with a mean streak.)

Meriweather (only at 28, but I would rather trade into the second for him. He can play FS, SS, and CB. If not for the question marks he would be a lock first rounder.)

Griffin (only at 28. I think Meriweather's playing style/ability fits NE's defense better, but Griffin doesn't have the "?".)

Maybe:
Siler or Harris or Posluszny at 28.

I don't want:
Marcus McCauley (I like his potential and what he did as a junior, but considering his benching, and lack of production as a senior I wouldn't touch him in the first. I do really like him though, and think he would fit NE's defense well.)

Greg Olsen (Yes he was outstanding at the combine, but as an actual player he was somewhat inconsistent, and is a horrid blocker.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you want Grubbs at Guard, or Tackle?

I also like John Wendling but I would draft him to play SS, and Meriweather, or Griffin at FS. I do not like Aaron Rouse at all.

Last edited:
What do you think separates Grubbs from the other two?

Just dominating whomever was lined up against him for the last two years. I think he's a couple notches above Blalock (whom I have questions about agility and ability to hit a moving target). Sears is tougher, because he is a projection.

I don't claim to have watched an extraordinary amount of NCAA football over the last decade, but the last guy I've seen dominate like Grubbs at the NCAA level was Orlando Pace. I don't think I've ever seen a guard bury guys with such regularity.

If Grubbs played tackle (and some scouts think he can), he'd be a top 10 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down