PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Affleck Goes off about Deflategate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He got the facts wrong in an important way. In 3 quick points, Hill demolishes the NFL. If one cares at all about due process, this charade cannot stand:

1. The decline was way, way, waaaaaay less than 8%
Based on the two separate gauges, the footballs were found to be at an average of 11.11 PSI and 11.49 PSI. According to Exponent’s findings, the footballs were supposed to land within 11.32 PSI and 11.52 PSI. This means that the footballs were either: a) measured exactly how they were supposed to; b) came in 0.21 PSI below expectations. 0.21 PSI below expectations is less than 2% below expectation. That’s a far smaller drop than 8%. And when you factor in absolute pressure, the drop is less than 1%.

2. The drop is based on unrecorded data
All of the mathematical figures are based on the idea that every single football started at 12.5 PSI at the start of the game. Based on what we know about these refs, that was unlikely. The refs admit on page 3 of the Wells Report that they noticed the Colts wanted the footballs at 13.0 PSI, but approved the balls at a range of 12.8 PSI to 13.1 PSI. That’s a range of 0.3 PSI before the game even started.

Essentially, there’s an expected margin of error that comes with using any of the data since the starting points were not recorded.

3. The drop is on AVERAGE and the range is far wider than the perceived decline in pressure
So let’s say that there was a drop in pressure of 0.21 PSI. Are we meant to believe that Brady is so picky with his footballs that he asked the ballboys to intentionally deflate the footballs by 0.21 PSI?

And if so, remember that the 0.21 PSI drop is based on an average of the footballs. The actual footballs were found to be at a range from 10.5 PSI to 11.85 PSI- a range of 1.35 PSI, far greater than the 0.21 PSI Brady is apparently so picky about.

We’re meant to believe that Brady was so intentional with the football manipulation down to 0.21 PSI, but didn’t care enough that the end result was a range nearly seven times larger?

And at the end of all of it, looking at the averages buries the fact that the actual alleged decrease in pressure is far less than the final range- all but destroying any concept of intent on Brady’s part.
Here are the 3 key facts that Bill Simmons and Ben Affleck gloss over about DeflateGate

I know having a drunk Afflec gets Simmons show a lot of pub, but man I wish he was sober with this rant. It's hard to get by the slurring of speech and red face.

Affleck had a buzz on but jhe stood up for his friend passionately, props for that.

Last edited:
Too many F-Bombs. Maybe he needs to have a writer write the words for him. He came off like a jackass and doesn't help the Pats in any way.

I've heard more articulate defenses of Brady, but you cannot deny the the PASSION of the man. And as for his critics. No actor hits it out of the park with every movie that they are in. As an actor, you are lucky if even half your projects turn out well.

Why do people have a problem with Affleck who is clearly a talented guy, and has had some great successes as an actor, director and producer over his long career, to go along with some misses and mediocrities. Now, clearly screwing up his marriage to Jennifer Garner was a massive mistake, but we all make big mistakes in our lives, so be careful when you throw stones. ;)
Daniel Day-Lewis. Or just about.

I like him. He's far from perfect, but at least he tries, and often succeeds, at defending Boston and its teams. Pissing off ESPN to the point of getting fired is clearly a plus, at least in my book. Finally, anyone who calls out Fatf### Ordway for the fraud he is will be more than acceptable. Many, many worse than Simmons nationally.
I liked him way better when he was just a writer. I didn't mind the "Boston" Sports Guy thing before the Red Sox won. He was much better when he played the role of loser. Although, I think it was him that had the Win it for or We won it for column that got like a million replies that was pretty touching.

I think people are missing the fact that the majority of people would have turned over and not listened if he started spouting some of the lets be clear on this stupid but important nuances that bore the **** out of everyone now. He got what he wanted to get across, that the NFL is a corrupt organisation and the bastards are covering there own stupidity.

I think people are missing the fact that the majority of people would have turned over and not listened if he started spouting some of the lets be clear on this stupid but important nuances that bore the **** out of everyone now. He got what he wanted to get across, that the NFL is a corrupt organisation and the bastards are covering there own stupidity.

True, but he also let people know he may have a drinking problem too.

It's really nice how he's remade his career. I thought he was done after Gigli

How many f###### ( Not) Yet fans don't have a drinking problem?

Well, can only speak for myself, but I'm one. Other than a couple weddings/parties in 2015, only other times I drank were game days. And just to show how much I know the Jets... I knew not to drink week 17 vs Buffalo.

In 2016 so far... buzzed once at a bbq. Can't wait for football so I have an excuse to kill a 12 pack.

Well, can only speak for myself, but I'm one. Other than a couple weddings/parties in 2015, only other times I drank were game days. And just to show how much I know the Jets... I knew not to drink week 17 vs Buffalo.

In 2016 so far... buzzed once at a bbq. Can't wait for football so I have an excuse to kill a 12 pack.
There are few things more lamentable than a wasted life. You, my football-deprived friend, need to step it up. The years fly by and all of a sudden you're old and have no idea why your liver is healthy and you have no drinking buddies. Don't end up like that.

There are few things more lamentable than a wasted life. You, my football-deprived friend, need to step it up. The years fly by and all of a sudden you're old and have no idea why your liver is healthy and you have no drinking buddies. Don't end up like that.

Ha, I am old. 37.

Trust me, I've beaten my liver more than most since age 14. Never got into drugs, so I just drank and drank heavily 3-4 times a week from teens through 20s.

Come 30s though, it naturally starts slowing down. Still hope for some fun years of drinking weekly for months at a time, but at this point... 2, 3, 4, even 5 months will pass by w/o a brew.

Younger me would slap the **** outta older me.

Ha, I am old. 37.

Trust me, I've beaten my liver more than most since age 14. Never got into drugs, so I just drank and drank heavily 3-4 times a week from teens through 20s.

Come 30s though, it naturally starts slowing down. Still hope for some fun years of drinking weekly for months at a time, but at this point... 2, 3, 4, even 5 months will pass by w/o a brew.

Younger me would slap the **** outta older me.
I've got ya by 360 months. Listen to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes