PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick's Contract Status - A Distraction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brick

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have all heard the rumors/speculation that BB may be in the last year of his contract. I wonder why Coach Belichick and Kraft are so tight lipped about his contract status? I understand that BB is not usually forthcoming but at some point the secrecy may become a bigger distraction than if he (or Kraft) simply released a one sentence statement as to his contract status.

Does anyone doubt that the media will latch onto this topic at some point? BB's silence will be deafening but unfortunately this response (or lack thereof) will fuel even more speculation. Admittedly this may sound paranoid but I can envison a media frenzy similar to the '96 Parcells distraction during playoff time.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying he is leaving but why not clear it up now and eliminate a possible distraction down the road? :confused:

Last edited:
Re: Belichick's Contract Status- A Distraction?

BB's contract status is only a distraction if you let it be. This has been a topic of many a conversation on here and many people point out that, if this was truly BB's last hurrah, he wouldn't have build up the picks for next year and that Pioli wouldn't be saying that they are building not for one year, but for many years to come...

IMO if there was the slightest bit of substance to these rumors the mainstream media would be all over it already. The fact that the whispers remain confined to the rumor sites is proof to me it is merely wishful thinking on the part of the envious legions of other teams fans.

I'm not the least bit distracted -:) Distraction to whom? Frankly, I don't think the players will care all that much.

Not to me, it isn't.

Were you the only one kept informed about his other contracts?

:agree: :agree:
IMO if there was the slightest bit of substance to these rumors the mainstream media would be all over it already. The fact that the whispers remain confined to the rumor sites is proof to me it is merely wishful thinking on the part of the envious legions of other teams fans.

well said.

You know your team has a good looking season when everyone worries about the future.

People, relax. Whatever happens just happens. If BB calls it quits the day after the season and we free fall, so be it. Just enjoy the good times while they're here and cherish every minute of it, cuz you'll never know when this team will be a joke again. Want proof? See the Celtics.

Why do people keep bringing this up ? Just because certain fans may be distracted doesn't mean Belichick is. Jeez.

I'm guessing you have all heard the rumors/speculation that BB may be in the last year of his contract.
Actually, this is the first mention of it I've heard. Well, the first mention of it in a few weeks, anyway. :) Of course, the previous claims were so absurd and so obviously wishful speculation, I forgot about them after a day or so.

I wonder why Coach Belichick and Kraft are so tight lipped about his contract status?

So that everyone can know that any rumors about BB's contract are just that - baseless rumors.

I understand that BB is not usually forthcoming but at some point the secrecy may become a bigger distraction than if he (or Kraft) simply released a one sentence statement as to his contract status.

What distraction? Why should I care about some silly rumor known to be a rumor?

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying he is leaving but why not clear it up now and eliminate a possible distraction down the road? :confused:

Perhaps you don't understand. There is no situation where BB's contract situation would not be a distraction according to some. If you say something, it will be a distraction (at some point). If you say nothing, it will be a distraction (to some people). Personally, I think they've got it just right. Let it distract those people who are prone to distraction and let the rest of us just focus on the more important things.

Last edited:
Why do people start these posts with zero facts?

IMO, BB and SP are clearly building and preparing for the long haul. Have you not been paying attention to the recent roster moves, cap savings, contract extensions??? Do you think BB is going to leave a team that has Tom Brady, in his prime, as the QB???

Why do people start these posts with zero facts?

IMO, BB and SP are clearly building and preparing for the long haul. Have you not been paying attention to the recent roster moves, cap savings, contract extensions??? Do you think BB is going to leave a team that has Tom Brady, in his prime, as the QB???

not for nothing, but, what evidence do you have that they are building and preparing for the long haul. We all hope that they both are here for quite some time, but you never can tell for sure. As another poster said, just enjoy it while it lasts. Times like this don't come around every year - even though it may seem like it at the time.

As a Patriot fan I would like to know what Bills plans are going forward.

I guess its none of my business :(

Bill does not want me to know. I don't like that about him.

Not to me, it isn't.

Were you the only one kept informed about his other contracts?

I don't think he knows that BB's contracts are written in invisible ink by a Tibetan Monk who has taken a vow of silence so no one, including Belichick and Kraft, knows what is in them. Wads of unmarked bills arrive in unmarked envelopes at Coach's house every month. As long as he likes the amount, he stays. It is rumored, but not verified, that the money is sent through one of the guys who lets you park on his lawn near the Blade.

Last edited:
The Patriots have always been mum on Belichick's contract status. If this were suddenly a change in the way they did things, I'd be concerned, but its the way it always is. My guess BB has the type of contract that will keep him here for a long time.

I don't think he knows that BB's contracts are written in invisible ink by a Tibetan Monk who has taken a vow of silence so no one, including Belichick and Kraft, knows what is in them. Wads of unmarked bills arrive in unmarked envelopes at Coach's house every month. As long as he likes the amount, he stays. It is rumored, but not verified, that the money is sent through one of the guys who lets you park on his lawn near the Blade.

That makes perfect sense to me. So I'm wondering, from whom/what does the monk receive instructions on exactly what to put into the contract?

not for nothing, but, what evidence do you have that they are building and preparing for the long haul. We all hope that they both are here for quite some time, but you never can tell for sure. As another poster said, just enjoy it while it lasts. Times like this don't come around every year - even though it may seem like it at the time.
i was at a draft recap and pioli personally said" we want to build this for the long haul we plan on being here for a while"why would he leave hes got a owner who lets him do anything he wants,his kids go to school locally,he has a hall afame qb, has a summer home on nantucket, i dont get where the speculation is coming from, im sure kraft wont let him walk over money

While I won't claim to know why Kraft and BB wish to keep the contract details from the public, I respect their reasons whatever they are.

I think what we are seeing is this: Local media take it personally when normally public information like this is not shared with them. They feel like it's an affront to their profession. Not just this on it's own, but coupled with all the other policies regarding withholding as much info from the media as possible. I'm sure all the local media guys have made several requests to obtain the details of Belichick's contract and each and everyone has been rebuffed.

So a couple guys get frustrated and decide to MAKE the front office give up the details by spreading rumors that BB's contract is up and he is leaving. They think Kraft will come forward to dispell the rumors if they blow enough smoke.

First of all it wouldn't be a distraction to the Players because they are always focused on the moment, which is 2007, and BB is going to be there for 2007, even if, no matter how far fetched, the rumors are true.

BTW- I think one of major reasons BB and Kraft allow all the speculation to run amok, when it would be very easy to just make a simple announcement that BB is here long term, is because they are having so much FUN jerking around the media. It also gets the Pats mentioned more than otherwise...and that never hurts the brand. But jerking the media around is the biggest reason. I bet its worth a least a laugh a day down at Gillette. :D

we also don't know what the team knows. They could all be very familiar with the status of BB's contract. Or at least know he intends to stick around for the long haul. My guess is the people who need to know, know. unfortunately we're not among that group apparently.

It is posts like these
that send me scurrying
to finger my signature reverently
and obsessively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill