PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichickians getting fired (Weis, Groh) [Update: Weis officially fired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Belichickians getting fired (Weis, Groh)

IIRC, you had some inside info on Mark Briggs last week, so I'm inclined to believe you on this one.

xFingersCrossedx, I love that idea, Charlie as an Offensive "consultant"! It's PERFECT. Imagine what he'd come up with for our present offense; a more experienced Brady; Moss, Wes, Maroney, Edelman...Brady reportedly used to call him at all hours of the day and night while CW was here, just to run some play ideas by him, ask him questions, etc. With the team we presently have the 2 of them could be up all night scheming and discussing plays.

Lordy I think a little chill just ran up my spine:cool3:

Last edited:
FYI Notre Dame is having a press conference at 6 PM EST. ESPN just advertise they'll have it on.

xFingersCrossedx, I love that idea, Charlie as an Offensive "consultant"! It's PERFECT. Imagine what he'd come up with for our present offense; a more experienced Brady; Moss, Wes, Maroney, Edelman...Brady reportedly used to call him at all hours of the day and night while CW was here, just to run some play ideas by him, ask him questions, etc. With the team we presently have the 2 of them could be up all night scheming and discussing plays.

Lordy I think a little chill just ran up my spine:cool3:

As long as Weis is bringing 2004 Corey Dillon, 2003 Seymour & Law and 2003 Bruschi, I'm all for it.

BB is not going to bring in Weis as a FTE on this coaching staff at this point in the season.

This is silly.

OT: Notre Dame fires Charlie Weis after 5 seasons

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4700891
Not a surprise given his last 4 games. His teams could never play good-enough defense, and Claussen never lived up to his HS hype.

One thing though. Notre Dame needs to reset its expectations and not pin this all on Weiss. Michael Holley said this a few weeks back and he's spot on about Notre Dame. For 20 years, Notre Dame hasn't been a powerhouse where all the top recruits want to play. I hope they sign a HUGE name as the next head coach, who fails, so that their alumni base finally wakes up to the fact that nobody wants to play there anymore.

Last edited:
Re: OT: Notre Dame fires Charlie Weis after 5 seasons

Notre Dame Fighting Irish coach Charlie Weis fired - ESPN
Not a surprise given his last 4 games. His teams could never play good-enough defense, and Claussen never lived up to his HS hype.

One thing though. Notre Dame needs to reset its expectations and not pin this all on Weiss. Michael Holley said this a few weeks back and he's spot on about Notre Dame. For 20 years, Notre Dame hasn't been a powerhouse where all the top recruits want to play. I hope they sign a HUGE name as the next head coach, who fails, so that their alumni base finally wakes up to the fact that nobody wants to play there anymore.

Of course it is all on Weis. He did a nice job with Ty Willingham kids and he landed a few good blue chippers but was not actively out there recruiting like the Mack Browns, Chris Petersons or the Urban Meyer's of the world. Fact is he just wasn't a good enough salesperson or agressive enough in selling the university and the program.

In the college ranks amongst coaches and parents of recruits, Weis came across as a brash, arrogant jerk. He alienated many of the alums and adminstrative staff. That didn't help matters.

It's a sigh of relief in South Bend. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

IIRC, you had some inside info on Mark Briggs last week, so I'm inclined to believe you on this one.

GF's brother heard it on either WEEI or 98.5 the Sportshub. The GF called me to check on here cuz you guys usually have the scoop on all that is the Pats. :) She'll usually call me to tell me something and I'll tell her that I already read it here. :D

I didn't have any inside info on Briggs. It's all online. :cool: (I'm on TeamOps so I knew he was the head honcho though.)

Last edited:

Of course it is all on Weis. He did a nice job with Ty Willingham kids and he landed a few good blue chippers but was not actively out there recruiting like the Mack Browns, Chris Petersons or the Urban Meyer's of the world. Fact is he just wasn't a good enough salesperson or agressive enough in selling the university and the program.

In the college ranks amongst coaches and parents of recruits, Weis came across as a brash, arrogant jerk. He alienated many of the alums and adminstrative staff. That didn't help matters.

It's a sigh of relief in South Bend. Plain and simple.

No this goes beyond Weiss. Notre Dame hasn't been relevant for 20 years. NO elite recruits on a mass scale want to come to the school.
The alumni base needs to wake up to this fact. It will probably take a high-profile coach failing miserably in the next few years to get them to face reality.

Last edited:
I'd definitely take Charlie back in a heartbeat as OC or a consultant on offense or whatever they want to call it. He's a great offensive mind. ND's problems were on the defensive side of the ball for the most part. I think they averaged like 450 YPG on offense which was top 10 in college this year.

Basically you have to ask yourself who do you trust more calling the offense in the playoffs: Charlie Weis stepping in more than halfway through the season or Bill O'Brien a rookie play-caller.

I'll take Weis anyday but I don't think he's going to want to come back here. I think he'd rather be an OC for the Chiefs or some other team.

It you look at Notre Dame's 12 games, the 6 wins produced about 190 points, the 6 losses still scored about 190 points. In the 6 wins they gave up 110 points, the 6 losses gave up 200 points.

Weiss still knows offense. His skill set is still elite. He just doesn't know defense and it killed him in the end.

No this goes beyond Weiss. Notre Dame hasn't been relevant for 20 years. NO elite recruits on a mass scale want to come to the school.
The alumni base needs to wake up to this fact. It will probably take a high-profile coach failing miserably in the next few years to get them to face reality.

You seriously don't think a guy like Urban Meyer could get that school to a National Championship?

You seriously don't think a guy like Urban Meyer could get that school to a National Championship?

Meyer coached in sunny Florida, an academic and weather advantage for elite recruits.

I hope Meyer becomes ND's next coach so that after he fails, ND alumni can finally admit that it's not the sought-after location for elite players anymore. It hasn't been since the 1980's.

I'm not an expert on recruiting but ESPN and Scout.com's rankings both had ND in the top ten recruiting classes the last three years until this one.

GF's brother heard it on either WEEI or 98.5 the Sportshub. The GF called me to check on here cuz you guys usually have the scoop on all that is the Pats. :) She'll usually call me to tell me something and I'll tell her that I already read it here. :D

I didn't have any inside info on Briggs. It's all online. :cool: (I'm on TeamOps so I knew he was the head honcho though.)

LOL.......

Next time try posting that as the source of your rumor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes