PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick wins his second Associated Press Coach of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impressive to win an outright majority, as he appears to have, with so many other deserving candidates.

This isn't what I was expecting at all. I even talked myself into thinking McCarthy might deserve it, based on the theory that Cameragate was something THIS year that hurt the team in FUTURE years.

But I'm delighted it worked out this way!

see, i dont understand that...cuz then he won it in 03, but not 01???

The voting takes place before the playoffs. The 01 Pats are known more for their performance in their playoffs than the regular season that year.

very glad to hear this as i thought they would never deny tommy but that they might be small minded enough to snub bb...however, some old expression about counting chickens before they're hatched does come to mind...

just more fuel for ESPN mediots and other radio shows to debate why he shouldnt have won.iam sure they voted him so they could write more stories than real reasons.

I am pleasantly shocked. Maybe BB and the Pats are hated less than I thought.

I think it is hilarious that the Herald polled all the voters and basically let the cat out of the bag by pre-announcing the whole thing.

Best thing the Herald has done all year.

That being said, some of these idiots who voted against BB have some 'splainin' to do.

“I could not bring myself to vote for a coach who was convicted by the NFL for cheating to win games.” -- Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1064346

Thank goodness he won. He deserves it. Anyone who didn't vote for him should truly be embarrassed.

I've been listening to WEEI and they have been saying all along that BB will be denied by the media. I'm pleasantly surprised by the article and if anyone deserves it this year, it's Bill.

How can you conceivably deny a man this when it's something no team has ever done. It's so difficult to win one game in this league and to win 16 of them in the regular season, that's something no one is going to see again for a while. I don't think I'll see this again in my lifetime, as this is a very rare achievement.

There is a lot of talk about this meaning nothing if the Pats don't win the SB. To me, that's a load of BS. This is a stupendous achievement in a single season and will forever be remembered.

In the playoffs, they begin at 0-0 and it's a wholly different ballgame now as it's do or die. Sure, they will be crowned the greatest ever if they win it all. However, I'm happy with the 16-0 and will forever remember these moments.

Congratulations to Belichick, his family, and the entire Patriots organization.

This is from ProFootballTalk:

"BELICHICK TO BE NAMED COACH OF THE YEAR

Less than a day after yours truly predicted on WEEI in Boston that Pats coach Bill Belichick won't be (but should be) named the coach of the year, the Boston Herald reports that Belichick will win the award.

The Herald came to the conclusion by polling voters who cast their ballots on Monday. (And, as we understand it, the Herald reporting has prompted the AP to move the announcement of the award from January 12 to today.)"

I can't find the AP anouncement that they are moving the award date to this afternoon, but maybe.....

Good for him.

Congrats to BB you deserve this,who is laughing now ?

"The Patriots [team stats] are not the most talented team in the NFL, but they are the best team". -- Dan Pompei, Sporting News.

It's always nice to see the return of a classic.

I like PFT's take on it:

So kudos to the "real" media for looking beyond that stuff and awarding the plaque or the trophy or the T-shirt or whatever the winner gets to Belichick.

Hey, maybe he should get a crappy hoodie with cut off sleeves that says on the front: "I was named the NFL coach of the year and all I got was this crappy hoodie with cutoff sleeves." Something tells us that he'd like it. It might even make him smile.

That would be funny. :)

Glad to see the media were able to look beyond all that cameragate crap, congrats to Bill and the entire organization...

So, so, so deserved.

Congratulations to Bill Belichick, best coach this year and, let's be honest, ever.
eta: So, who is still thinking "we'd be better off without him", hmmmm? Not going to see a retread of those old Spygate classic threads?

Last edited:
Awesome.....he deserves it.

I am pleasantly shocked. Maybe BB and the Pats are hated less than I thought.

Maybe they're finally starting to realize they made a much bigger deal of that Camera BS than any of them ever should have?

What's funny is a few of us on here said it was pretty much basic practice, and once Jimmy Johnson came out saying the exact same thing it made the entire "scandal" look entirely overblown.....kind if like most of us thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back