PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick Will Take The Reigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should let Brady be the quarterback, running back, and slot receiver. I'm sure he could also step up and provide us with a good pass rush on defense.

O'Brien will make the calls, Belichick will be able to override him. Same as it ever was other than who makes the original call. Patricia, Johnson or Brown will make the defensive calls and Belichick will be able to override him. Same as it ever was other than who makes the original call.

I guess some people would be happier if someone had the title of OC and DC even if it changed absolutely nothing from what will happen next year. There is plenty of coaching talent - especially on defense - to get the job done. What difference would be giving someone a new title ? None.

Just an easier target for the chronic malcontents. Now they will have to biatch at the man with the 5 rings and the gameplans awaiting him in Canton. Next season when a player misses a tackle or blows his assignment or drops a pass or fumbles in the red zone instead of blaming the coordinators for calling the wrong play their battle cry will be BB is spread to thin...

Well golly Ray, I don't know where Bill Belichick finds coaching assistants with 12 years experience in the ACC as RB/QB/OC in three stops. He certainly brings them on at breakneck speed, one year as Offensive Coaching Assistant, one year as WR coach, and one year as QB/OC-in-Training. I guess the fact he was just praised by his Head Coach and given a second year as QB/OC-in-Training is grounds for suicides in the stands.

I take it you've never been involved in training personnel before? This whole thing is classic personnel development, but that's no reason not to slash your wrists. Just do it somewhere it will be easy for folks to clean up afterwards.

You don't have to give me the golly crap, it was a serious question/observation. If you just want to mock it, go ahead.

For others, yes, talented offensive coordinators were coveted and moved from team to team. The training interns method has not been the template in my memory in almost 50 years watching following football.

Tom Moore of the Colts would be an example of a professional Offensive Coordinator.

Six jobs as offensive coordinator including three in the NFL plus a three year stint as an Assistant head coach.

Tom Moore (American football coach) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charlie Weis would be another

Offensive coordinator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ernie Zampese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like a lot of teams now have offensive minded head coaches who do the job. Seems we have a defensive expert as our offensive coordinator according to this ranking.

ProFootballWeekly.com - Ranking the offensive coordinators

Unlike most of the head coach/coordinators, BB seems almost strictly experienced on the other side of the ball. In his long and distinguished career, he coached receivers one year in Detroit and that was 33 years ago. All D and Special teams otherwise.

My question stands, if we are training small college interns, who's training them?

Ex Dallas QB Garret seems to be the choice here, and he is very young, but backed up on the same team he now coaches.

Last edited:
Just an easier target for the chronic malcontents. Now they will have to biatch at the man with the 5 rings and the gameplans awaiting him in Canton. Next season when a player misses a tackle or blows his assignment or drops a pass or fumbles in the red zone instead of blaming the coordinators for calling the wrong play their battle cry will be BB is spread to thin...

but there aren't any coordinators

but there aren't any coordinators

heh heh.

i'm open to being corrected here (by facts), but isn't the title of "Offensive Coordinator" or "Defensive Coordinator" on an NFL Coaching staff a relatively recent invention? The Cowboys, for example, didn't have an "OC" by title until 1986.

Isn't it possible that Belichick is trying to flatten the organization and return to an era when the HC was engaged in game planning with a variety of people on both sides of the ball every week? As BB has said in recent weeks, the roles of people are what are important and not the title.

Isn't it possible that he's trying to introduced a flexibility into how an NFL team is managed?

You don't have to give me the golly crap, it was a serious question/observation. If you just want to mock it, go ahead.

My question stands, if we are training small college interns, who's training them?

Ex Dallas QB Garret seems to be the choice here, and he is very young, but backed up on the same team he now coaches.
Sorry Ray, I read it as facetious because neither Billy O'Brien or Josh McDaniels met your "small college intern" definition. McDaniels was a graduate assistant in the Big 10 under Nick Saban, he then spent three seasons as a scouting and coaching assistant for NE before moving up to QB coach. O'Brien started as a graduate assistant in the ACC for Georgia Tech, he moved up to QB coach, then OC - as an OC his team went to bowl games. He coached at Maryland and Duke - both ACC - before BB recruited him. I ask your forgiveness for the confusion.

As for bringing in old duffers like Moore, BB wanted one offensive system - if you look at the two most successful QBs in the NFL in the past decade they've both played in the same system. Indy does it by finding an old guy who doesn't want anything more than to be Peyton's OC. BB brought in Charlie Weis and let him install the offense BB likes, then brings in young coaches to develop within that offense. Indy boasts they have won more games in this decade using their system, NE might note that counting playoff wins, they've won more games, not to mention playing in 4 Super Bowls.

BB's way: 4 SBs, 5 AFCCG, 7 playoff trips, 1 losing season in 10 years.
Indy's way: 2 SBs, 2 AFCCG, 9 playoff trips, in 10 years.

Both are consistent in being competitive, it's hard to argue with either approach.

Sorry Ray, I read it as facetious because neither Billy O'Brien or Josh McDaniels met your "small college intern" definition. McDaniels was a graduate assistant in the Big 10 under Nick Saban, he then spent three seasons as a scouting and coaching assistant for NE before moving up to QB coach. O'Brien started as a graduate assistant in the ACC for Georgia Tech, he moved up to QB coach, then OC - as an OC his team went to bowl games. He coached at Maryland and Duke - both ACC - before BB recruited him. I ask your forgiveness for the confusion.

As for bringing in old duffers like Moore, BB wanted one offensive system - if you look at the two most successful QBs in the NFL in the past decade they've both played in the same system. Indy does it by finding an old guy who doesn't want anything more than to be Peyton's OC. BB brought in Charlie Weis and let him install the offense BB likes, then brings in young coaches to develop within that offense. Indy boasts they have won more games in this decade using their system, NE might note that counting playoff wins, they've won more games, not to mention playing in 4 Super Bowls.

BB's way: 4 SBs, 5 AFCCG, 7 playoff trips, 1 losing season in 10 years.
Indy's way: 2 SBs, 2 AFCCG, 9 playoff trips, in 10 years.

Both are consistent in being competitive, it's hard to argue with either approach.

There is certainly an issue with different systems from offensive coordinators. Of course one would have to acknowledge that the sport of football did exist before 2001, so we're making progress.

I have acknowledged good young OC's like Garret of Dallas. I don't see a varied balanced offense now, or for a few years (except for 2008, when we had to, ironically).

I see Brady keying on two receivers and waiting for them to get open. granted we don't have many good receivers now, but waiting for receivers to get open is not what "our" offense is supposed to be, so my point is, it's broken.

Since this offense is not the offense that made us successful, it is not providing the answers in the second half when it counts and there is no indication, in my mind, that whoever is making the offensive "adjustments" in the second half is demonstrating creativity and aptitude in that role, I would like to see a change in the offense and more talent, from wherever, in the creative end, especially in game.

No coordinators means at least a 50% reduction in posting traffic on this site as the "Blame the Coordinator" threads disappear.

BB is not certainly afraid to take responsibility for results. If the team does not improve under this arrangement in 2010, he will be squarely accountable. It's a gutsy move knowing that the team will face its most serious personnel challenges in years. Maybe Bill doesn't want to throw his assistants to the wolves as so many other head coaches do on a routine basis.

I see Brady keying on two receivers and waiting for them to get open. granted we don't have many good receivers now, but waiting for receivers to get open is not what "our" offense is supposed to be, so my point is, it's broken.

Since this offense is not the offense that made us successful, it is not providing the answers in the second half when it counts and there is no indication, in my mind, that whoever is making the offensive "adjustments" in the second half is demonstrating creativity and aptitude in that role, I would like to see a change in the offense and more talent, from wherever, in the creative end, especially in game.
Which is why I'm not down on Billy O'Brien, BB did draft two WRs who flashed promise last year, I'd like at least two more this year and a couple more UDFAs. I don't want another Tampa Bay castoff.

When Bill first came here he said he had learned from his Cleveland experience to not try to do everything and to trust his staff. Seems like he's forgotten his own lesson.

Bill probably feels like he has to train either Johnson or Patricia to be the DC and in his mind, taking on the position himself is the best way to accomplish that task.

I also think he is taking on too much, but he may not have much choice. Perhaps he feels it is worth taking a hit in the coming year by spreading himself too thin in order to get the coaches properly trained and ready for the following year.

I see no problem with this. I see only positive outcomes.

Just a couple weeks ago people were griping about the locker room leadership and wondering where the new leaders are coming from. Look closely, the guy who trained Pepper Johnson and Tedi Bruschi is putting himself in a better position to influence the next players to fill the leadership role.

When Bill first came here he said he had learned from his Cleveland experience to not try to do everything and to trust his staff. Seems like he's forgotten his own lesson.

Within a year he had experienced professionals at OC and
DC. His peers, not his students. Hmmm

Which is why I'm not down on Billy O'Brien, BB did draft two WRs who flashed promise last year, I'd like at least two more this year and a couple more UDFAs. I don't want another Tampa Bay castoff.

To me, offensive coordinators are more born than made. It is a talent to be able to adjust on the fly when defenses have prepared and stopped plans a, b, c which you had counted on that game, or season.

I have not seen this in the last four or five years. Sure it's great when you have receivers like Moss, Gaffney, Stallworth Welker and a quarterback like Brady to draw up passing schemes that put up 50 points against befuddled opponents. A team like that could go all the way without a serious challenge, breaking records left and right.

But what happens when a defense starts to adjust and the rest of the league copies their methods? Surely with receivers like Moss who warrant triple teams, along with 3 other top receivers, not to mention Faulk, TEs, RBs a great OC could adjust to the overplay with even easier scores.

Did they? Or, with the exception of sad sack Buffalo, did they play the same way with increasingly less impressive results.

Second half adjustments in the era? Last year?

Sorry, I just don't see it.

We had a couple big score games this year. When we were challenged though? Pretty shaky IMO. In our losses, it was the other team that made adjustments, while we left our game in the locker room.

To me, offensive coordinators are more born than made.
I've been told that same garbage about leaders, 20 years military experience says otherwise.

I've been told that same garbage about leaders, 20 years military experience says otherwise.

You quoted the post about offensive coordinators by mistake.

I'm sure i made a post about leadership and the military back there somewhere.

By the way, our team leaders gradually developed years after we drafted them. Now we expect 2 year players to take over as leaders on the defense. That's a lot to ask.

By the way, our team leaders gradually developed years after we drafted them. Now we expect 2 year players to take over as leaders on the defense. That's a lot to ask.
And the guy who trained Pepper Johnson and Tedi Bruschi will be working with them more this season... :cool:

BB delegated fine in CLE. He had a strong, capable staff there.

His problem was that he drafted poorly and had a meddlesome owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes