PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick will lead the defense and Moss is at Foxboro

Status
Not open for further replies.
In principle, I agree with you. But, in reality, wouldn't GM Bill want complete control of football operations including personnel and recruiting? How would he attract a "Belichick v.2.0" if he kept control of things that great coaches want to control or at least have a major say about? Wouldn't this end up another Parcells/Belichick situation where the "Belichick" leaves?

(And, anticipating that you will cite the Pioli/Belichick relationship in response, I'd argue that Piolichick was a unique, almost one in a million relationship that took a while to build and that would be very hard to duplicate.)

That's true, but I could also see BB treating the new HC/"GM" like the new "OC"'s and not give them the official position for some time, probably longer than a year like with McD since it's a much bigger position. HC/GM would be a major transition for whomever is slated to take the reigns so I could see BB working him in in that fashion while BB keeps overall control.

If he's telling his underlings to use a defibrillator on someone choking on a hotdog then he should be fired on the spot.

its to accentuate a point.....also, I have no idea of the details of the job, so I just went with something very obvious

regardless......it took a very experienced staff to win the championships that the pats did....it was certainly not all the work of belichik himself.....

I just believe that trying to grow your own complete staff while trying to turn over what was an aging roster does not make sense......the players don't seem to improve that much after they get here........it looks like what you get out of the box, is what you'll have......even if one does progress, you need progress on every facet, or you are just spinning your wheels

That's true, but I could also see BB treating the new HC/"GM" like the new "OC"'s and not give them the official position for some time, probably longer than a year like with McD since it's a much bigger position. HC/GM would be a major transition for whomever is slated to take the reigns so I could see BB working him in in that fashion while BB keeps overall control.

but (and this is all highly speculative), is that good? in the end, wouldn't the best person be someone who wouldn't want someone else having that kind of authority over him?

If he's telling his underlings to use a defibrillator on someone choking on a hotdog then he should be fired on the spot.
Tank's life experiences are, um, special. :p

the Krafts are still stung by the lesson they learned when parcells walked out on them and they left the team to Carroll and Grier.....given that BB was the first guy out the door after parcells, it took a pretty substantial dismissal of the Krafts own ego to do what they did to bring BB in.....

the krafts have also hedged their bets somewhat with the development of the area around the stadium to bring people in if a day come when the team stinks, but as fans of the sport, they quickly learned to leave the football decisions to football guys and just deal with the business end of the operation to make sure there is plenty of money to fund the football operation.

That would be an interesting story were it not for the fact that after Parcells bolted from the Patriots, the Pats made overtures toward Belichick long before they had even contemplated Pete Carroll. It was pretty evident that they were impressed with how Belichick transformed a 5-11 defense to an AFC champion defense.

I clearly remember the article about reporters seeing Belichick and Kraft sitting inside Belichick's car in the parking lot for over two hours.

Yah, but I seem to recall Kraft himself saying that despite the admiration he had for BB at the time, he (Kraft) was not ready to hand the reigns over to BB right then and he regretted that decision. Also, BB's career connection to Parcells may have wrongly influenced Kraft's thinking at the juncture.
I distinctly recall from Halberstam's Education of a Coach that Kraft thought very highly of Belichick due in large part to his philosophies on how to build a winning team in a league with a salary cap, and had long conversations with him about the subject when he was here under Parcells. Then when Parcells left Kraft hesitated because of Belichick being a Parcells' guy; Kraft regretted that decision and hired Belichick once it was apparent Carroll was not going to get it done.

Another thing I recall from the book was the idea of reducing pressure and scrutiny from fans and the media by not giving a coach the title of coordinator. In fact if I'm not mistaken that is what Parcells did with Belichick in his first year as DC with the Giants. Bottom line is that people shouldn't assume Belichick is doing more than he can handle because nobody has the title of coordinator.

Belichick said he hasn't thought about retiring but can't envision himself doing a Marv levy. "You won't be seeing me 20 years from now."

That gave me some comfort.

I distinctly recall from Halberstam's Education of a Coach that Kraft thought very highly of Belichick due in large part to his philosophies on how to build a winning team in a league with a salary cap, and had long conversations with him about the subject when he was here under Parcells. Then when Parcells left Kraft hesitated because of Belichick being a Parcells' guy; Kraft regretted that decision and hired Belichick once it was apparent Carroll was not going to get it done.

Another thing I recall from the book was the idea of reducing pressure and scrutiny from fans and the media by not giving a coach the title of coordinator. In fact if I'm not mistaken that is what Parcells did with Belichick in his first year as DC with the Giants. Bottom line is that people shouldn't assume Belichick is doing more than he can handle because nobody has the title of coordinator.

on the other hand, it could be assumed BB is doing more than he can handle because of the way the pats couldn't get plays into the offense last year.....it could also be assumed that he is doing more than he can handle simply looking at the rest of the coaching staff.......kinda like the LB and TE's on the roster (ooops no TE coach on the team)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back